Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#280 - 03/01/01 05:49 PM alternate striker for lifeboat matches?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
The striker surface on the top of several of my vials of lifeboat matches has worn away. Does anybody know of an alternate material for lighting these matches? I've tried sandpaper from 25 to 1500 grit and a similar range of emory cloth. These just sand the matches!<br><br>

#281 - 03/01/01 07:23 PM Re: alternate striker for lifeboat matches?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Andy, I found the same problem,tried the same materials.I found the Coghlan's matches(vastly improved lately,second choice to lifeboats)have the same problem.Ive found that they will ignite on any commercial match striker.I also rediscovered old fashioned "strike anywhere" kitchen matches.They aren't as weatherproof,but the striker on mine(Diamond brand) is very aggressive and worked well with lifeboats and Coghlan's.They really do strike anywhere;my magnesium bar,levis,arkansas sharpening stone,cat.Im saving striker paper from paper matches as backup,and looking for a rubber cap for the lifeboat canister.<br><br>

#282 - 03/02/01 09:32 PM Re: alternate striker for lifeboat matches?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
You what works really well as a striker? Nail files. I tried the file on my Leatherman PST, and the one on the nail clipper on my keyring, and they both worked great. I've heard emery boards work just as well, too.<br><br>Craig<br><br>

#283 - 03/06/01 11:14 AM Re: alternate striker for lifeboat matches?
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Craig,<br>That is interesting. I just ruined a few of my lifeboat matches trying to ignite them on the nail files of my Leatherman PST & Micra. After destroying a few of them, I tried another on the stiker that comes on the lid of the plastic bottle they come in, and it worked great. I'm using NATO 9920-99-966-9432 matches, which, I'm pretty sure, I got from B.C.B. Int'l. Are you using the same ones? If so, any idea what I'm doing wrong?<br><br>

#284 - 03/06/01 01:58 PM Re: alternate striker for lifeboat matches?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I screwed up several matches myself. You must hold the matches properly, and strike at the proper angle and at the right speed. For me, they're more trouble than they're worth. I'll stick with three butane lighters double-bagged in ziplocs. I never have any trouble with them. I'm also going to get a Zippo. They've got an excellent reputation.<br><br>

#285 - 03/06/01 05:49 PM Re: alternate striker for lifeboat matches?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Yep, same ones, same problems. I have success with the lid striker, but nothing else. I just fill up the new vioded space in the vial with strike anywhere matches. It seems that the whole matches issue is moot if you have a reliable lighter, good tender and a magnesium/ flint striker as a backup.<br><br>

#286 - 03/12/01 12:29 AM Re: alternate striker for lifeboat matches?
Todd Offline
newbie member

Loc: oh
How about "strike anywhere" kitchen matches dipped in candle wax? Seems feasible. Moisture proof, longer lasting flame, etc. "Strike anywhere" kitchen matches are harder to come by for me now. All I can seem to get anymore are Rosebud "strike on box" and Ohio Blue Tip damp proof "strike on box" and once in a greeaaat while I'll come across an OBT damp proof "strike anywhere", of which all that I have are in my "core kit" with several cut out striking surfaces from the original boxes. Any replies of experience? Todd<br><br>

#287 - 03/16/01 08:03 PM Re: alternate striker for lifeboat matches?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That does work, I've used it before. As for the strike-anywhere matches, I get mine from my local Reasors, its a warehouse grocery store if you don't have one where you are, but the matches are in with the plastic plates, knives,spoons, forks and stuff. Sometimes I have to dig around but they always are in the picnic stuff at the store.<br><br>

#288 - 03/19/01 03:50 PM Re: alternate striker for lifeboat matches?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like to get the "storm proof"- "NATO lifeboat" matches in a match box. You still get 25 matches BUT there 1/2 the price ($1.50) as the ones that come in the canister. I put mine in 35mm film cans that I get FREE from my local grocery store's photo lab. The cool thing is the box of matches come with the striker on BOTH sides of the box. I just cut them off, and put them into the film can. <br><br>"Stay Frosty"

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.