Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#287975 - 01/22/18 09:48 PM Re: New knife [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The interest shown in knife esoterica (high end steels, grind varieties, etc.) is fascinating. I, of course, are not affected by any of this at all, but as an archaeologist, I have a deep professional commitment to understanding this most fundamental and basic tool, whose origins go back eons...

That is why I only own about thirty or so, not counting all my multitools. Most are pretty nondescript steel, but I have a couple fashioned from 154-CM and D2 (for me, at least, those are high end steels).

But seriously, what do you gain from an expensive blade that isn't present in a $15 Mora or in any of several Buck knives with well heat treated stainless steel (I have carried and used a Buck 105 since the early 70s and it still works quite well).

I am wondering about obtaining a kukri or similar to go with my vintage Collins machete, strictly to expand my knowledge.

Thank heavens I am not a knife knut, and my interest is STRICTLY professional ...Just for the record, I am a real fan of the RSK Mk5, owning at least three....

#287976 - 01/22/18 10:40 PM Re: New knife [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
But seriously, what do you gain from an expensive blade that isn't present in a $15 Mora or in any of several Buck knives with well heat treated stainless steel

This is precisely the question many of us are exploring. Without big enough of a sample, however, it's really hard to draw any significant conclusions. First, we need to put together a well-rounded collection of high-end knives. Then we go out and play with ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H test them. I'm hoping to get a grant.

#287977 - 01/22/18 10:56 PM Re: New knife [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Your dedication to truth and knowledge is most commendable. Be sure your sample size is large enough (better too large than too small).

#287980 - 01/23/18 03:38 PM Re: New knife [Re: Russ]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK

> But seriously, what do you gain from an expensive blade that isn't present in a $15 Mora or in any of several Buck knives with well heat treated stainless steel

With that in mind here's a failed destruction test on a $15 Mora
https://youtu.be/fKlcBpKbAvM

> If I posted every new knife here my wife would find out what
I've been doing with my money. I can't have that.

Don't forget to leave the standard note with your gear for after your death 'Sell my gear for what it's worth, not what I told you I paid for it'.
The good news is: your memory isn't going; that "this old thing I've had years" that your wife suddenly appeared in.
Really was just bought" :-)
qjs

#287981 - 01/23/18 03:59 PM Re: New knife [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany

But seriously, what do you gain from an expensive blade that isn't present in a $15 Mora or in any of several Buck knives with well heat treated stainless steel (I have carried and used a Buck 105 since the early 70s and it still works quite well).

The expensive knife gives a lot more prestige than a cheap one and frequently it never looses it´s edge. While a $15 Mora will be considerably less sharp after gutting, dressing and boning a few deer, the expensive knife will still be razor sharp after sitting on a shelf for years (as it´s too expensive to actually take it for hunting).

I am wondering about obtaining a kukri or similar to go with my vintage Collins machete, strictly to expand my knowledge.

A kukri will definitely expand knowledge. I obtained one made by Cold Steel many years ago and I still have it. It came razor sharp and helped me expand knowledge about knives and provided an opportunity to practice first aid skills too. In conclusion: Once it starts moving it is hard to stop. Do not move any body part in the extrapolated path of the blade. Extrapolated may easily be well within the actual reach.

#287982 - 01/23/18 05:24 PM Re: New knife [Re: Russ]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Cold Steels most expensive knife is a $699.99 kukri:
http://www.coldsteel.com/products/fixed-knives/gurkha-kukri-in-san-mai-iii.html?___SID=U

They also sell a $34.99 machete kukri:

http://www.coldsteel.com/products/machetes/kukri-machete.html

and a 'kukri plus' machete (with a finger guard - good idea) for the same price:

http://www.coldsteel.com/products/machetes/kukri-plus-machete.html

Anyone believe you can do 20 times as much with the expensive one?

Dougs advice about not using a hatchet in a survival situation, unless you know what you are doing, makes a lot of sense to me. So they are all off my gear list.

qjs

Edited by quick_joey_small (01/24/18 10:34 AM)

#287983 - 01/23/18 06:18 PM Re: New knife [Re: quick_joey_small]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
What is Doug’s advice regarding hatchets specifically? Do you have a link? Wondering, because I like axes and hatchets depending on the situation. Is this a safety issue?

#287984 - 01/23/18 06:22 PM Re: New knife [Re: quick_joey_small]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

At some point a knife (or sword) becomes a status symbol or a piece of art. The price is going to reflect that.
For some handmade knives the handle material may go over the $700 for the Cold Steel kukri. Ornamental oriental daggers may even reach a 6 to 7 digit price.
A machete for $34.99 may be a great tool but it does a really poor job when it comes to showing off your wealth.

#287985 - 01/23/18 06:26 PM Re: New knife [Re: Russ]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

#287986 - 01/23/18 06:41 PM Re: New knife [Re: M_a_x]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks. It is a safety issue and as usual Doug makes some good points. As for me, if I have an axe or hatchet in a survival situation, I’ll probably use it. I’ve been using them for over (dating myself) 50 years and I’ve yet to injure myself. My axe collection includes double & single bit axes of varying handle lengths and a dedicated splitting axe. I’ve got about a half dozen hatchets. I don’t have a double-bit Nessmuk.

OTOH, my brother received a glancing blow from an axe handle after the axe head failed to bite. Yeah, he was standing where he shouldn’t have been standing and (for the record) it was not me wielding the axe. Nasty bruise on his shin but the lesson was learned by both parties...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.