The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#287795 - 01/12/18 06:08 PM Improvisation, especially First Aid
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
No matter how large or well supplied your FAK may be, if the emergency is great enough (just consider the current Montecito mess just up the road here in SoCal!). At some point you will need to depart from protocols to some degree, make something up on the spot, and take measures to deal with the situation.

An example from my experience: We were on a pleasure climb, a long time SAR colleague, myself, and a friend of his. We ran into a guy who had been hit in the head by rockfall, with obvious cranial trauma. At that our companion was an MD, with three years experience in the local ER. Treating our victim, we realized that we needed a cervical collar, given the high probability of occult neck trauma. We shortened my 3/8" blue foam sleeping pad by 5 or 6 inches,folded it over, tastefully allied duct tape, and voila! a C-collar.

At least it worked well enough in the subsequent evacuation.

Splints, especially, are often improvised. What would you recommend for improvised, reasonably adequate, measures to deal with situations?

#287797 - 01/12/18 07:32 PM Re: Improvisation, especially First Aid [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
In the Wilderness First Aid course, improvising a C-collar with a sweater, or an arm splint from a magazine would demonstrated and then practiced. The WFA instructors were big on improvisation, a necessary skill when you are a great distance in time and miles from a medical facility.

#287798 - 01/12/18 08:12 PM Re: Improvisation, especially First Aid [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Good stuff. I have taking Wilderness First Responder on my bucket list.

#287804 - 01/12/18 09:46 PM Re: Improvisation, especially First Aid [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

to me, all first aid is improvised.

#287808 - 01/12/18 10:41 PM Re: Improvisation, especially First Aid [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Large blanket pin to keep the airway open in transport. Thru the tongue and lower lip.

Ice Axe traction splint.

Webbing for outside the boot ankle support.

Hard hat wash basin.

Warm wet black teabags for eye infection.

Campfire charcoal for upset stomach.

Salt, water sugar for oral rehydration solution.

#287828 - 01/13/18 06:45 PM Re: Improvisation, especially First Aid [Re: hikermor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Large blanket pin to keep the airway open in transport. Thru the tongue and lower lip"

Most of your recommendations sound good. But I suggest that you avoid the first. Find another way to accomplish the task, without solutions that involve cruelty. I understand that EMT's are often so "training oriented" that it becomes a strange type of fixation, and they forget to be human beings. I can think of ambulance crews I knew, when I did my own EMT training. And they would sit around and laugh at doing intubation on conscious patients, who were tried down, immobilized with restraints, and then had plastic shoved down the their throats by the EMT's.

Personally, I'd rather be dead. Than to put up with "EMT waterboarding". But it's a reality out there.

My constructive suggestion - find a better solution.

#287848 - 01/14/18 10:05 PM Re: Improvisation, especially First Aid [Re: hikermor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

BTW, it terms of improvisation.
always seemed to me that pieces of thick cardboard were really helpful. but you need them to be long. maybe 3 feet long. you can bend cardboard (down the axis, lengthways), and use duct tape to wrap it. and it's excellent for building splints very quickly. The nice thing about cardboard - very easy to cut with scissors. So you can shape it - to your own purposes. also, if you don't use it for EMT purposes, you can always burn it as fire material.

the main disadvantage. it's useless if it gets soaked with water. if there was such a thing as "water-resistant" cardboard strips, it would be nearly ideal.

#287851 - 01/15/18 01:16 AM Re: Improvisation, especially First Aid [Re: Pete]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
It was part of an Wilderness EMT training. Most groups I worked had airways in the first aid kit tho.

How would you improvise an airway?

Edited by clearwater (01/15/18 01:17 AM)

#287862 - 01/15/18 02:19 PM Re: Improvisation, especially First Aid [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Improvised airway - Simply reach in and pull the lower jaw forward. Turning the victim on his side (provided there are no cervical issues!) is also recommended.

Quote from Wilkerson's Medicine for Mountaineering, 3d ed., p.49

"insert a large safety pin through the meaty part of the tongue and hold the tongue forward by taping the pin to the chin or anchoring it in a similar manner. Although this technique sounds and appears brutal, it is simple, highly effective, and produces no permanent damage."

Emergency medicine is often not rated PG....

#287871 - 01/15/18 10:33 PM Re: Improvisation, especially First Aid [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: hikermor

Quote from Wilkerson's Medicine for Mountaineering, 3d ed., p.49

"insert a large safety pin through the meaty part of the tongue and hold the tongue forward by taping the pin to the chin or anchoring it in a similar manner. Although this technique sounds and appears brutal, it is simple, highly effective, and produces no permanent damage."

Emergency medicine is often not rated PG....

And just to think, people actually pay to get their tongues pierced, when they can be having a 1st Aid attendant do it for free.

John Lubbock

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 281 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.