Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#287560 - 01/03/18 04:10 AM Multitool Mania
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Hello, my name is Hikermor and I suffer from multotool addiction (mania,if you will)...

I counted and I possess at least nine, all Leathermen of one type or another. Two original PST's (if this model had a locking blade, it would be well nigh perfect), a Juice, an original Wave, a second model Wave, a Blast, a Kick, a PS4, and a Skeletool CX. I EDC the PS4 and it is the most used. I really like the Skeletool - a wonderful blade, plus pliers and screwdrivers. The Wave 2.0 is especially nice, but I have gone a bit overboard, cramming a Bit Kit, a tool extender, a handmade awl, and a 4" adjustable wrench into its pouch, making it just a bit too heavy for routine wear, but I do keep it handy, and it is worn when it is likely to be used.

I turn pale, becoming agitated, nauseated (dry heaves and all that), and unpredictable when unable to access at least the PS4 and the Skeletool. Do I have an addiction problem? It all started with a Swiss Army Knife, back in college....

Edited by hikermor (01/03/18 04:18 AM)

#287561 - 01/03/18 04:26 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I don't have a MT problem, I can quit whenever I want! blush grin Not really sure how many I have right off. Hmmm, let's see...I've got a Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X, Leatherman Flair, Leatherman Wave, Leatherman Style CX, a Gerber that's old enough that I'm not sure what it is (25+ years old no longer made), 2 x Gerber Dime, Leatherman Crunch and one old beat up Flair that doesn't really count (got it from eBay and it was in much poorer condition that the seller advertised- usable but a couple blades are broken or missing). The one gap in my collection is the Skeletool CX but I just found a used one a couple days ago, and it should be here later in the week. cool

I kind of go back and forth with my thinking- MT vs SAK? A few trips to the woods have been saved by the presence of one or the other over the years. Something like the Victorinox Cybertool 34 can do almost everything a good Multipliers can do except, well, the stuff that requires a robust pliers. Certainly a larger SAK and a Leatherman Wingman or Wave can do darned near everything I know how to do! If I can't fix something with those tools then having an entire toolbox probably wont' help me.

To my mind the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X is the finest multi-tool made. It's built like a Swiss watch with the most ergonomic layout I've yet found. My second favorite is probably the late lamented Leatherman Flair.

#287562 - 01/03/18 04:30 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
What, only nine? That's mighty thin gruel, hardly even qualifying as a fanboy snack. Heck, I've given away more than that!

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/03/18 04:34 AM)

#287563 - 01/03/18 06:05 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I was snowmobiling by myself in a remote area of northern MN when suddenly my sled stopped. Took me awhile to figure out that a piece of barbed wire had rolled up around the track axle. Fortunately I had my LM Supertool with me and I flipped the sled and eventually got the wire out. I had basic survival stuff with me, but I didn't expect any problems with barbed wire in a remote area. It would have been a really long walk. Now I always carry a gen 1 Wave with me. I have a gen 2, plus several other models. Gen 2 is better, I suppose, but I like the older one, and even bought a backup in case I lose it.

#287566 - 01/03/18 09:10 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The first step is to admit that you're powerless over your multitool addiction, and you life has become unmanageable as a consequence. This is one of the most difficult things to do, but this is absolutely necessary on your path to recovery.

The second step is to go to your local sporting goods store and buy more multitools.

The third to the twelfth step -- see the second step.

#287568 - 01/03/18 01:12 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I do not accept that it is a problem. I refuse to admit it.

#287569 - 01/03/18 01:53 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Fortunately, I'm only addicted to flashlights (it has to be MAG-LITE, I have five of them) and first aid kits (I like to design and build first aid kits).

Jeanette Isabelle

#287570 - 01/03/18 01:54 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I blame it on the enablers at the AMU at Ft Benning... they added the little guys to the shooters bag for the 3 gun challenge matches... I've managed to rust my original that I carry on my gun belt

#287572 - 01/03/18 02:27 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have given away quite a few, mostly to TSA. If you ever visit Santa Rosa Island (CA), keep your eyes open for the Skeletool CX that went missing on a project I worked about a year ago, probably on the western portion of the island. As soon as I reached the mainland and realized that it was gone forever, I replaced it with the current item, which I almost always carry...

#287584 - 01/03/18 09:52 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Hello, my name is Hikermor and I suffer from multotool addiction

Hi hikermor!

• PST
  • Original Super Tool
  • Victorinox SwissTool
  • Original Wave
  • New Wave > Modified Rave
  • Super Tool 300 (x2)
  • Original Surge
  • New Surge
  • Limited Edition 30th Anniversary Edition Super Tool 300
  • Squirt PS4
  • Style PS
  • Sidekick
  • MUT
  • Signal
  • Rebar > Pliers head went into the Rave
  • Another unmodified Rebar

I've owned two Rebars, one was sacrificed along with my New Wave to create a Rave. It was a lot of effort; if Leatherman came out with a third-gen Wave that had the replaceable wirecutters from the Rebar I would buy it immediately.

The PST, Original Super Tool and SwissTool have all been sent to the retirement drawer. The only safe queen is the Limited Edition ST300; all others are or have been users.

The only one that had serious quality problems out of the box was my first MUT; the plastic bit-storage area came broken and the bit driver was too tight to release the bit. Leatherman replaced it and I've used that one good and hard since. I've yet to go to the range with my MUT and not use it for something. I also had a Rebar come (as a gift to a relative, not one from my list above) with pivots that were so tight as to constitute a factory defect, but I was able to fix that at home.

After enough abuse I've broken two PS4s, both of which Leatherman replaced. The PS4 is also retired. I fly so much that the Style PS is a permanent resident on my keyring. Leatherman replaced one of those after the scissors spring broke.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.