The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#287618 - 01/04/18 11:12 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, a multi tool is rarely as good as having a channel lock, vice grip and a full set of screwdrivers but a small version of each in your pocket beats a whole work shop back at the house.

#287656 - 01/07/18 06:19 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I posted it elsewhere but I'll mention here that Woot.com is selling the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X for $70 right now! shocked IMOHO it's the best MT ever made and this is the best version of it. The deal ends at Midnite Sunday or when they sell out, and this will probably sell out as it's easily the best price I've ever seen!

Multitool junkies, get on this! I already placed my order of course. cool

#287657 - 01/07/18 06:24 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Hello, my name is Hikermor and I suffer from multotool addiction (mania,if you will)...
---------------------------------------
I turn pale, becoming agitated, nauseated (dry heaves and all that), and unpredictable when unable to access at least the PS4 and the Skeletool. Do I have an addiction problem? It all started with a Swiss Army Knife, back in college....

I'm not an addict. Not me. No way. I'm more of a social multitool user. I only have about 5, more or less.

I have an original Leatherman, the simple one. Also another identical one made by Leatherman, but with Cabelas name stamped on it. And a couple of Leatherman "Juice C2", which I find is a good compromise between being small and lightweight but still having a pliers robust enough to actually use.

The one that sees the most use these days is a Leatherman "Kick", which is pretty simple, and no longer available. It is similar to the original (with only a pliers, knife, can opener, phillips screwdriver, and a couple of regular screwdrivers), but has a plastic insert that makes it easier on the hand when using the pliers. Since I retired, I find myself frequently dealing with "honey do's", so the Kick rides on my hip most days around the house.

I think the real utility of multitools around the house are for the very simple jobs. Cut or bend a bit of wire, tighten a screw, etc. Having a multitool on my hip can save me a trip to the garage to get into my toolbox.

The other big use for a multitool is in a small field repair kit for fixing simple outdoor gear items. Mine is a small nylon bag with one of the Leatherman, a small crescent wrench, a small roll of Gorilla tape, a bit of wire, a tiny can of WD40, a small sewing kit, some fabric repair tape, a tiny tube of seam seal, a little tube of superglue, and a few zip ties. It's a bit too heavy and bulky for backpacking, but rides nicely in my sea kayak, or other situations when I don't need to lug it on my back.

I don't much care for most of the currently available multitools by Leatherman and others. It seems like they try to cram more and more stuff in, turning them into bloatware. They are too fat and heavy, and have too many things I rarely if ever need in a multitool. If the job really requires a bit selection, it probably also requires other real tools from my real tool box.

Your views and experience may differ. But I'm a keep it simple kind of guy.

#287788 - 01/12/18 01:12 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Speaking of multitools,
I see some of you listed the Leatherman Signal among your collection.

How would you judge it, from an outdoor use perspective?

Are the saw, sharpener, firestarter and whistle really useful (i.e. they can effectively stand in for their single-object conunterparts), or are they just gimmicks introduced by Leatherman to ride the whole survival-preparedness fad?

Thank you very much!

albusgrammaticus

#287793 - 01/12/18 03:57 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I own one. I wrote a First Impressions review at https://www.edcforums.com/threads/leatherman-signal-first-impressions.132575/ .

Overall I like it. To directly answer your questions:

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet on EDCF
The whistle on the ferro rod works, but it isn't super-loud. I would prefer a Fox 40 Micro or something similarly loud. As a backup to a better whistle it's adequate. This component is easy to remove but secure when in place; Leatherman did some clever packaging here.

I tested the sharpener with a couple of passes on the S30V blade. With some patience and care, it can be made to work and is definitely better than nothing. A dedicated pocket sharpener would be a lot easier to use and give better results; in other words, it's an adequate backup. The unlocking lever for the inside bits also keeps the sharpener secure.

#287796 - 01/12/18 06:45 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: chaosmagnet]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Thank you very much Chaosmagnet.

Just finished reading your insightful review.

I normally carry a SAK on day hikes/backcountry walks, but I can imagine occasions where a good pair of pliers could come in handy.

I never owned a multitool. Well, I guess now I've just a few gazillion brands and models to choose from... whistle

albusgrammaticus

#287799 - 01/12/18 08:36 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
You're welcome! If I had to own just a single multi it would almost certainly be a Wave. I love the Surge and the ST300 but they're both pretty darn large for the capacity. I've modded my Wave to have a Rebar's pliers head (so it's a Rave) and an S30V plain edge blade. I use it a lot.

#287814 - 01/13/18 12:57 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I have a pretty good selection of assorted SAK's and LM's. I have tried several times to leave my LM (a Supertool 200 when bushwacking) at home when camping and hunting up in the national forests. Instead I carry a Vic Huntsman and a full tang belt knife. Even though the Vic is very capable when combined with a bigger knife, for no reason that I can articulate, it makes me nervous to do this.

Edited by Byrd_Huntr (01/13/18 01:01 AM)

#287952 - 01/20/18 10:10 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, the mania continues! grin Recently I picked up a couple more MT's from another forum. A fellow was selling a Leatherman Skeletool and an entry level Gerber tool for $30 shipped for both of 'em! shocked I felt a little guilty so I threw in an extra $15 but even so that's a great deal. Always wanted a Skeletool but never pulled the trigger, so I was stoked!

It doesn't disappoint! Most of the time that I reach for a MT it's to use the pliers. If not the pliers, often a screwdriver. Or a knife. The Skeletool has just those three tools that I use most with none of the stuff I rarely use. It's a very lightweight multitool! The quality seems excellent and it feels sturdy and smooth. I decided to order the spare driver kit from Amazon to round out the package.

So today it arrived! It's two small flat plastic widgets that each hold ten (10) double-ended bits for a total of 20 pieces; that works out to 40 different bits and drivers yet it takes very little space. The Skeletool holds one bit in the driver socket and one in a small compartment in the handle. So I stuck the Philips bit in the handle and swapped in the Torx bit that fits the screws that attach the TKC scales to my ESEE knives. IIRC it's the same bit that fits the kydex adjusters of my Garrett Industries holsters, too!

So far I'm very pleased! I don't think it will bump the Spirit X from its perch atop my list of favorites but I really like it a lot.

BTW, my SwissTool X also showed up from Woot! cool Multitool mania indeed! grin

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.