Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#160377 - 12/29/08 02:48 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: Art_in_FL]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
A bit OT but lacking any other options there is another alternative:

We have had good results warming people by assembling what amounts to a one person heated environment. One way is to get the person out of the majority of their wet clothing. Getting them into a poncho, with a liner if available. They sit on a sleeping pad cross legged or with knees pulled up with the poncho forming a tent around them. A candle, small oil lamp or carbide headlamp is placed between their legs so the knees, and hands if needed, keeps the poncho away from the flame.

The result is that the small flame rapidly warms the enclosed area and this warms the person even if they aren't producing much heat. In a few minutes the interior of the one-man environment is pushing 80F and warming proceeds rapidly.

I have used a similar method in wet caves. We would carry large garbage bags that formed the enclosure once a hole is cut for the head. When the symptoms of hypothermia became apparent we would all get into our bags and use our carbide headlamps for heat.

I agree, the method you describe works well and for a wilderness or rural settings where a heated cab or ambulance may be some distance or time away, may be the method of choice. In this case, it was an urban setting with heated vehicle resources close at hand.

Pete

#160387 - 12/29/08 05:55 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: paramedicpete]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, a man's gotta know his limitations, and also that of his gear. Waterproof fleece or a wool blanket ain't gonna do a thing for you if you are immersed in water with ice floating in it. Once you go hypothermic, it will take a dramatic effect to turn your condition around, and not even a darned good sleeping bag will be enough. You're gonna need an external heat source in order to recover.

#287749 - 01/11/18 05:54 AM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extr [Re: Still_Alive]
KtexInter Offline
Stranger

Banninated.

chaosmagnet

Edited by chaosmagnet (01/11/18 11:22 PM)

#287755 - 01/11/18 05:13 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extr [Re: KtexInter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In my experience, fleece is more durable andlong lasting. Moths have not yet learned to consume fleece, but they do nibble away at my wool garments. My subjective opinion is that fleece dries more quickly when wet, and hence is somewhat warmer, but wool does quite well in this regard.

I have two fleece sweaters that are more than thirty years old. One, aged 38, is definitely worn, while the other remains in top shape (It did spend a season on Denali, but isn't used extensively in southern California). My wool items have lasted only about fifteen years or so.

Either fabric is a good cold weather choice and both are available in different weights. Quality of design and manufacture is more significant than the choice of either fabric. Some items are garbage and some are excellent

Good grief! This thread is ten years old...

Edited by hikermor (01/11/18 06:54 PM)

#287757 - 01/11/18 08:03 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extr [Re: Still_Alive]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
For daily use at home, on a bed, I would favour wool blankets over any synthetic material. Warm, comfortable, not flammable.
Except for young children bed blankets need to be a generous size. As a minimum a full UK single size of 70 inches wide by 90 inches long. Bigger is better.
Synthetic bed blankets are IME less warm and are also uncomfortable as they trap moisture and produce an unpleasant sweaty or clammy feeling.
The best but still reasonably affordable wool bed blankets are made from 100% NEW wool and contain no recycled material.

For camping or outdoor activities, I would also favour wool for the same reasons as above, with the inherent fire resistance being of importance near camp fires.
Rough or outdoor use increases the chance of loss or damage and I would therefore favour the cheaper military type of wool blanket, these are often a bit smaller which keeps the cost down and reduces weight and bulk.

For blankets kept in a vehicle for emergencies any type will do, Comfort is secondary for short term emergency use.
Options include the very cheap part wool blankets made from recycled materials, as distributed by charities in disaster zones. Alternatively the cheap synthetic fleece blankets that are sold everywhere at low prices.
Or second-hand wool bed blankets as may be purchased very cheaply from charity shops.

#287759 - 01/11/18 09:10 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: Still_Alive]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
You guys know that you are responding to a 10 year old tread that has been spammed by a person who only signed up today right?

I have reported the spammer to the MOD's..

John Lubbock

#287766 - 01/11/18 09:40 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Granted the thread has a long gray beard, what qualifies it as spam?

#287767 - 01/11/18 09:42 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: Still_Alive]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I am sorry to say that I did not notice the date.
Still, no harm done, the points raised are still relevant.

#287770 - 01/11/18 11:24 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Granted the thread has a long gray beard, what qualifies it as spam?

This is an excellent question. The offending former member posted a URL to a web store that I believe the member has a financial interest in.

chaosmagnet

#287803 - 01/12/18 09:45 PM Re: Wool vs. Fleece blanket-is wool worth the extra $? [Re: Still_Alive]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like fleece; cheaper and much lighter. You can also get 'windproof" which is a tighter weave.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.