Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#287738 - 01/10/18 09:10 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Extra-terrestrial bodies do collide with Earth from time to time, sometimes with profound consequences. Witness the asteroid impact 65 million years ago that basically killed off the dinosaurs and wiped the slate clean for mammals to take their turn. No idea of how high the waves were, but they were big enough, and that was just the beginning.

We can assert that such events can happen, and probably will happen, given enough time. On the scale of human lifespans, the probabilities of such cataclysmic events is quite low, while the chances of more mundane disasters like fires, floods, earthquakes, winter storms, etc. is much more likely and well worth the time and effort to prepare. It all comes down to the math...

Welcome, Pooh-Bah Jeanette-Isabelle! What a great speech!

#287740 - 01/11/18 12:15 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Great advice, hikermor! Geezer in chief strikes again!

For comparison, it appears the tsunami resulting from the Krakatoa eruption in 1883 were 40 meters tall (= 131 ft). I'm guessing a 400' tsunami requires not just 3 times as much energy, but an exponentially greater amount. I guess if I were in the path of such a tsunami, I'd just try to take a selfie with the incoming tsunami and post it online before I die.

http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/tsunamis

#287741 - 01/11/18 12:37 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I guess if I were in the path of such a tsunami, I'd just try to take a selfie with the incoming tsunami and post it online before I die.

#287742 - 01/11/18 12:46 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I guess if I were in the path of such a tsunami, I'd just try to take a selfie with the incoming tsunami and post it online before I die.

I would watch out for the warning signs.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287761 - 01/11/18 09:15 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Those dolls would all fit into a couple of 5 gallon buckets - which are water tight with the right lids.

As for the photos, have them scanned and digitized then keep on a USB key or email them to yourself and perhaps another family member or close friend. If the originals ever get damaged, lost or whatever, you can always print then re-frame when needed.

John Lubbock

#287785 - 01/12/18 03:58 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: haertig]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
There is an island in the eastern Atlantic (one of the Canary Islands?) that they think will cause a tsunami if the mountainside collapses. Something about the geology increases the chance. It's been too many years since I watched the show about the island to remember details.

#287791 - 01/12/18 02:23 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Yeah, the island is La Palma, and the Cumbre Vieja volcanic ridge.

Speculation is if it blows the landslide into the ocean would create a mega tsunami, hitting African coast in an hour, UK in 3.5 hours and the eastern USA in 6.

#287792 - 01/12/18 02:58 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Ren]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks. Good read at: ... wiki/Cumbre_Vieja. The mega-Tsunami discussion is toward the bottom. If the Cumbre Vieja ridge fails as per the model, it would not be a good time to be standing on the beach between Key West and Bangor, Maine. However, there are folks who don’t see evidence that it will fail catastrophically and will instead be a slow slide into the sea. It’s worth reading.

#287931 - 01/18/18 08:07 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
more nonsense that was put out as click bait or to increase the sale of bottle water and what ever.look at the link by a guy who makes his living studying land slides.he was on the ground there and debunked that disaster claim.
scroll down for his on site photos and evaluation.
great stuff about real slides and the outcomes.
https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/

#287932 - 01/18/18 08:36 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks for the landslide blog link. While Rattlesnake Ridge is fascinating, I was really interested in his discussion of the Montecito Mess, with which we are now grappling.

Problems include where to put the huge amount of debris now clogging the town and highway 101, which might be open by Monday, if everything works out. Complications include separating toxic materials from the waste, as well as looking for the remains of at least three individuals who remain missing. Crews are working 24/7 to clear debris basins and culvert etc. before the next major storm, which fortunately is a ways off. Our local fairgrounds, 30 miles from Montecito is holding some of the debris for sorting and evaluation.

The models predicted a big problem if the burned watersheds received rain at a rate of 1/2 inch in an hour. During the event, one rain gauge recorded 1/2 inch in five minutes.

Mother Nature bats last....

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.