Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#287778 - 01/12/18 01:40 AM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
I look at that list and wonder ... how big is the bag that carries it? That looks like the contents of the back of an ambulance manned by an EMT or two.

I'm buying the contents a little at a time to be sure that what I buy will fit in the kit. Once the kit is full, I will stop buying additional supplies.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287779 - 01/12/18 01:53 AM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would rather buy the supplies appropriate for the anticipated event, and then purchase the bag(s) that will contain them. Nowhere is it written that everything must fit into one container.

#287780 - 01/12/18 01:57 AM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Just my opinion, but a bug-out kit should be small enough to allow for ease of transport. Any large kits should be pre-staged at the site to where you are bugging out. That includes all supplies: food, tools, ammo, camping gear, first aid and serious medical gear.

The stuff you carry or throw in your car/truck should be stuff selected to assist in getting to your bug-out location. If you don’t have a bug-out location, you might want to start with that.

#287781 - 01/12/18 02:07 AM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

I saved the lives of two CPR dummies, took a class on first aid though I learned more from studying books and practicing on myself. As for practical experience, I helped my grandmother with her oxygen therapy (though I don't anticipate that experience coming in handy in the future). I treated three burns, wrapped a sprained ankle, treated a hand caught in a door and I applied and changed bandaging (not including band-aids) more often than I can count. I also learned procedures (and practiced them until I became comfortable) such as taking vital signs (blood pressure, pulse and respiration) and avoiding cross-contamination from friends and relatives in the medical profession.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287782 - 01/12/18 02:20 AM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Just my opinion, but a bug-out kit should be small enough to allow for ease of transport. Any large kits should be pre-staged at the site to where you are bugging out. That includes all supplies: food, tools, ammo, camping gear, first aid and serious medical gear.

The stuff you carry or throw in your car/truck should be stuff selected to assist in getting to your bug-out location. If you don’t have a bug-out location, you might want to start with that.

The biggest problem with a bugout location is the bugout could take place this year or seven years from now, if at all. Also, what might seem like a safe location now, may not be at the time we bugout.

The planned location is a timeshare. Unfortunately, we can't store items at a timeshare. Fortunately, the company works on the points system instead of the weeks' system which gives us greater flexibility.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287783 - 01/12/18 02:33 AM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would rather buy the supplies appropriate for the anticipated event, and then purchase the bag(s) that will contain them. Nowhere is it written that everything must fit into one container.

A part of the decision process came down to cost. The $49.95 bag was the largest that could fit my budget. I wanted quality and organization and I know this company offers both (no affiliation).

https://www.chinookmed.com/category/home-containers/packs/cases/home/travel/adventure/1.html

By bringing a box of gloves with me, I don't need to worry about space for more gloves. I imagine I will need more gloves than what this bag can hold.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287805 - 01/12/18 09:50 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

most of what gets used for me is Ibuprofen, band-aids and tape.
for your application, I'd add much more on the meds list. Full bottles of ibuprofen, stomach meds, etc.

I include a lighter, pocket knife and keychain flashlight in mine.

#287806 - 01/12/18 09:57 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Rather than a keychain flashlight, consider a headlamp to keep both hands free.

#287807 - 01/12/18 10:15 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
most of what gets used for me is Ibuprofen, band-aids and tape.
for your application, I'd add much more on the meds list. Full bottles of ibuprofen, stomach meds, etc.

I keep a bottle of aspirin, which I regularly replace, in my EDC bag.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287809 - 01/12/18 10:46 PM Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The thing that works is to have one or two pairs right on top, ava ilable as soon as your bag is opened. Saves a bit of time and helps the aider to avoid a potentially serious error. The big box is to replenish, resupply the initial stash....

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.