Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#287708 - 01/10/18 03:38 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Ziploc (no affiliation) makes relatively inexpensive storage tubs which they claim are waterproof. I use them for some applications but Pelican cases are going to be far, far more resilient.

#287709 - 01/10/18 04:14 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You can always combine a large dry bad (they come in an enormous range of sizes with an inner, non waterproof rigid container that shields from bumps and scrapes.

I am puzzled...If you can load up a car, why not simply take these items with you? In my recent bug out experience, we made conscious decisions to leave behind some monetarily valuable, but non sentimental items behind (tools, TVs, books [not all], clothing) that could be replaced, and maybe even upgraded. Of course, it all does come down to how much swag you intend to take with you....

#287710 - 01/10/18 04:25 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The Seahorse SE920 is slightly larger than the Pelican 1620 for just over half the price. I have both cases and would rate the quality as very close to equal. Especially given the price difference the Seahorse is well worth considering.

#287713 - 01/10/18 05:12 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Phaedrus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
That Seahorse case doesn't sound like it will meet her needs if she's looking for total immersion protection:

Quote:
Dustproof, Airtight & Watertight Protection (Mil. Std. 810F, 512.4 & IP67). Capable of withstanding water immersion between 15cm and 1 meter for 30 minutes.

Jeanette - Do you have an attic? For what you are planning, leave stuff at home during a bug-out, you could maybe get something like an old non-working refrigerator and bolt it up in your attic rafters for security (on it's back, door side up). Refrigerators are not water tight but might be somewhat water resistant. And if adequately wrapped with a chain and lock, they are pretty secure. You should be able to get a broken one for free somewhere. Then you'd have to charm the neighborhood teenagers into getting it up to the attic for you.

Even those Pelican cases - I'm not so sure they're designed for long duration complete submersion. Before spending all that money on a Pelican - and yes, they ARE good cases - make sure it really meets your needs. I've always considered them more as protection from banging around and dropping, not as mini-submarines. Since you're in Florida, I don't think you live in a canyon where the water could get THAT deep. I looked up the town you list in your profile and it looks like you're close to halfway between the east and west coasts of Florida. If the water gets 10 feet deep there (attic height), then your stuff will probably be toast no matter what you do. I've never been in a hurricane. Does the water get THAT deep that far from the coast???

#287714 - 01/10/18 06:06 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The Seahorse is very sturdy- my notion would be to put my stuff in a dry bag and stick that in the hard case. Dry bags are cheap and usually 100% dry but not super sturdy. The hard case should keep the dry bag from being torn.

#287716 - 01/10/18 09:32 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Multiple inexpensive layers?

My friend used this sort of technique on a grand canyon raft trip.
He brought an expensive violin (we enjoyed the acoustics of the walls).

He stored it in the regular hard violin case, then a trash bag with the top tied closed, then rolled it in his sleeping bag for cushioning, then in a dry bag and tied it in the raft.

We flipped once and daily the raft was full of muddy water. The dry bag held out the water just fine and the violin stayed intact.

----
Trunk/metal gun cabinet/new garbage can/plywood box/cooler(as mentioned earlier) with dry bag combined with trash bags inside?

#287717 - 01/10/18 12:38 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
NAro Offline
Addict

I've used these, on 5gal. and 7gal. buckets (Lowes, Home Depot), for years with no leaks in heavy rain and several canoe dumps. Haven't submerged for prolonged periods, because they float when loaded with a reasonable weight...camp lanterns & fuel, ammo, paper documents, etc. for me. The bucket handle is pretty sturdy, if you're worried about anchoring these.

If you're truly that worried that water will get in (which frankly I doubt), put the stuff in sealed heavy garbage bags inside the bucket. Protected from crushing impacts, and extra protected from water.

And I don't worry that a burglar is going to steal my stack of buckets along the garage wall: which is really a stack of shelter-in-place supplies (labeled for deception - "old paint"..."potting soil"..."fertilizer"...etc.)

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

#287718 - 01/10/18 12:41 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am puzzled...If you can load up a car, why not simply take these items with you?

For most scenarios, Mom and I are bugging in. There is one in which we need to head for the hills. If that happens, America will be so devastated that we need to bring food, water, water purification, a means to cook and so forth. There won't be enough room for larger sentimental items.

We will store some items in water-tight containers on the chance we can return home at some later point to salvage what we can.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287719 - 01/10/18 01:01 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: haertig]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: haertig
Even those Pelican cases - I'm not so sure they're designed for long duration complete submersion. Before spending all that money on a Pelican - and yes, they ARE good cases - make sure it really meets your needs. I've always considered them more as protection from banging around and dropping, not as mini-submarines. Since you're in Florida, I don't think you live in a canyon where the water could get THAT deep. I looked up the town you list in your profile and it looks like you're close to halfway between the east and west coasts of Florida. If the water gets 10 feet deep there (attic height), then your stuff will probably be toast no matter what you do. I've never been in a hurricane. Does the water get THAT deep that far from the coast???

We are not supposed to get into the how and why in this forum so I will make it brief. I study Biblical prophecy and listen to what the modern day prophets are saying. One thing I am learning is that some warnings are conditional. If Event A happens, Event B will happen. Event B is a 400' tsunami that will travel up to 100 miles inland. If that happens, most if not all of Florida will be washed away.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287721 - 01/10/18 02:12 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I think I've suggested this before, but if you have not read "Listening to Katrina" you might re think it... a good quality utility trailer was my decision after reading this first hand account of a "do not return" scenario

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.