The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#287693 - 01/09/18 08:52 PM Water Tight Storage Containers
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Mom and I discussed this; I want to hear your recommendations for water-tight storage containers capable of surviving a catastrophic flood. As for size, I want one to protect my blender and four of my dolls (12 1/2" x 14 1/2" x 18" is the total size for those four dolls) from my collection. Mom wants a unit big enough to store photos that she cannot bring with us if we have to bug out. The containers are for our most prized possessions that are too big to take with us.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287698 - 01/09/18 10:35 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The standard for highly protective, waterproof cases could well be Pelican cases https://www.rei.com/product/504064/pelican-1400-pelicase . These are available in even larger sizes. They are not at all cheap, but are commonly used to house relatively fragile instrumentation of all sorts.

Somewhat cheaper would be dry bags,with a closure that folds over several times and is secured with a plastic buckle. There are several manufacturers of this basic bag, and they are available in many sizes (REI has a good selection, among many retailers). Properly secured, these have kept things dry for me on boat and kayak decks, with no failures. Anything inside that is fragile will require a protective container.

Even cheaper would be something like surplus ammo boxes, which are pretty darn tough in my experience, but they are sold as is, so you might be taking a chance.

Good luck in your search...

#287699 - 01/09/18 10:38 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

A Pelican case or other similar product is about all I can think of in that size. They do make some big ones, and they are tough. I can usually find used ones around where I live for MUCH cheaper than new, but with no guarantee that they would be completely water tight (submersible).

#287700 - 01/10/18 12:13 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
A dry bag would be the most economical option provided that protection from water is the main concern. A bear cannister might work well, too.

Pelican cases are great but expensive. Seahorse cases are very good too and a bit cheaper.

#287701 - 01/10/18 12:50 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
A dry bag would be the most economical option provided that protection from water is the main concern.

Need something more than a dry bag. I imagine there will be a lot of movement when flood waters come rushing in. I received a couple of recommendations for Pelican. As for the cost, I may need to do a bit more prioritizing by not concerning myself with the blender.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287702 - 01/10/18 01:16 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Maybe a dry bag combined with a cooler?

#287703 - 01/10/18 01:24 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I can't imagine what you're expecting that a dry bag couldn't handle. But if it's that bad, be sure to attach whatever container you wind up with to a completely secure object, so it doesn't float away. So you'll need a container with suitable strong attachment points, locks, cables, etc. Are you wanting to use these items you wish to protect on a semi-regular basis, or are you planning on packing them away and leaving them packed up? That would have bearing on what type of container you choose - you need to consider ease of access if that's a requirement.

Something like this might work if your scenario is pack-and-forget:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/...-used?a=1009668

#287704 - 01/10/18 01:46 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

It seems I need the Pelican iM2950. So far the lowest price is $213.39.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/watertight-storm-hard-cases/large-case/travel-case/iM2950/

Or, with rearrangement, the Pelican 1620 for $194.73.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/watertight-protector-hard-cases/large-case/standard/1620/

Jeanette Isabelle

#287705 - 01/10/18 02:07 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
I can't imagine what you're expecting that a dry bag couldn't handle. But if it's that bad, be sure to attach whatever container you wind up with to a completely secure object, so it doesn't float away. So you'll need a container with suitable strong attachment points, locks, cables, etc. Are you wanting to use these items you wish to protect on a semi-regular basis, or are you planning on packing them away and leaving them packed up? That would have bearing on what type of container you choose - you need to consider ease of access if that's a requirement.

Here's the plan: During the bug out, pack the car (cars if we do get a new car) with the possibility we may not be able to return home. If allowed to return to get our stuff at some later point, items in watertight containers would be there if they were not washed away, looted or damaged in some other way.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287707 - 01/10/18 02:31 AM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have 2 1620s that I paid $80 each for. They are second hand.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.