Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#287723 - 01/10/18 02:37 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I suppose by now that the media is providing you with pictures and accounts of the floods in Montecito just up the road aways. They display the force of moving water, but the devastation generated by a 400 foot tsunami would indeed be Biblical in proportion, far greater than anything experienced recently in Japan or Sumatra. The slate would be wiped clean.

#287724 - 01/10/18 02:46 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: LesSnyder]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
I think I've suggested this before, but if you have not read "Listening to Katrina" you might re think it... a good quality utility trailer was my decision after reading this first hand account of a "do not return" scenario

By the time we get the word, we will already have less than 48 hours to pack the car or cars and drive ten hours to a high elevation. In that time, how do we acquire a trailer even if we get a hitch before then?

The house may be unlivable at this time; why can't we return later to salvage what we can?

Jeanette Isabelle

#287725 - 01/10/18 03:16 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yeah, a trailer would not be a last minutes item. It’s something you buy today and get containers to load it efficiently. Problem being you need to store it someplace where you can get it quickly.

Rather than a second car, with long term evacuation in mind, why not get a pick-up (Ford F-150, Chevy Silverado 1500) with a hitch already installed. The truck alone can carry a lot of stuff and it can pull the trailer.

#287726 - 01/10/18 03:18 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
The house may be unlivable at this time

After a 400 foot tsunami, the house would indeed be unlivable, if you could even find it. I'm afraid a Pelican case would probably be in Texas by then. I don't think anyone could adequately prep for the kind of disaster you're thinking about.

#287727 - 01/10/18 04:29 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Yeah, a trailer would not be a last minutes item. It’s something you buy today and get containers to load it efficiently. Problem being you need to store it someplace where you can get it quickly.

There is no place to store a trailer. We also have to weigh the cost of the preps with the likelihood. If the devastation hits, when will it hit? Is it this year or six years from now? Will something else happen between now and then?

Jeanette Isabelle

#287728 - 01/10/18 04:50 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
After a 400 foot tsunami, the house would indeed be unlivable, if you could even find it. I'm afraid a Pelican case would probably be in Texas by then. I don't think anyone could adequately prep for the kind of disaster you're thinking about.

It has been said that the tsunami will come a hundred miles inland. We are approximately ninety miles from the coast. Yes, we will get wet. The question is, how devastating will the tsunami be this far inland. And, like other modern houses in Florida, ours is built with cinderblocks.

Even with these factors added in, it is hard to determine how much devastation there will be. Will the house remain on the foundation? Will the roads be destroyed and so full of debris that they would be impassable?

Jeanette Isabelle

#287729 - 01/10/18 05:55 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Your house would be toast - not even a workable archaeological site.

Very honestly, and speaking from very recent experience, when you leave your residence in an emergency evacuation, take what you wish to preserve and keep, and kiss every thing left behind goodbye.

#287733 - 01/10/18 08:15 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
400 foot tsunamis don't just spontaneously appear. Something would have to cause it. And I'm afraid that this "something" would be a planet-ending event. All material preparation is wasted in that case. I'd concentrate on the spiritual preparation.

#287734 - 01/10/18 08:24 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Actually, if you look at the Minoan eruption which took what was the island of Thera (Santorini) and turned it into a caldera, that eruption generated a fairly large tsunami. Not a world ending event, but it destroyed the Minoan civilization.

#287735 - 01/10/18 08:43 PM Re: Water Tight Storage Containers [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
400 foot tsunamis don't just spontaneously appear. Something would have to cause it.

You're right. It would take a meteor hitting Mona Island.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.