Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#287652 - 01/07/18 01:45 AM Re: Car gets help by itself in an accident? [Re: hikermor]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Any chance these systems can be retrofitted to older rigs? Might be worthwhile....

Thats basically what hum does. The onstar device that has been in GM vehicles for the last decade or so is simply another device connected to the data bus and monitors for the airbag deploy message.

hum does the same, just plugs into the ODBII port which is a direct connect to the data bus as well and listens for the messages.

Onstar is bidirectional and can send messages on the bus such as unlock the doors or start the engine where I believe hum is read only only looks for accident related messages.

#287653 - 01/07/18 03:14 AM Re: Car gets help by itself in an accident? [Re: Bingley]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Correct me if I'm wrong, folks ...

I thought OnStar was (and is?) a subscription service. You pay a monthly/annual fee, but the hardware is integrated into the car. It is designed to survive a crash, and do its thing.

I get the impression that other "phone home" services under discussion here are "if you own the car, you have the service..."

Except, the kicker is that this service must be "linked to Bluetooth" -- the services rely on the phone that you already own.

And from what I've seen, that phone is loose in the car for a majority of users, and would be nothing more than a projectile/shrapnel in a serious crash.

So, is the "super clever feature" nullified by the basic natural tendencies of the naked ape?

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/07/18 03:15 AM)

#287677 - 01/09/18 02:44 AM Re: Car gets help by itself in an accident? [Re: Bingley]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
It wouldn't be that great of a challenge to have an aftermarket accelerometer and ROM mounted to the chassis, and connected via bluetooth to a phone. If the accelerometer detects a crash (so many m/s^2 for so many ms) it instructs the phone to place a preprogrammed call.

If the phone is clipped into a mount, it probably won't survive the crash, slamming around the cabin. But, if it's in a pocket or purse, it probably will.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#287678 - 01/09/18 03:00 AM Re: Car gets help by itself in an accident? [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Many smartphones have accelerometers inside. I’m sure some app developer could make an app that would detect when you’re driving and program it to detect that sudden deceleration/stop/crash and dial 9-1-1. My phone rides shotgun in airplane mode. It wouldn’t be much use.

#287679 - 01/09/18 03:50 AM Re: Car gets help by itself in an accident? [Re: Bingley]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
My phone is not much better; data services are turned off almost all the time, unless I have a specific task that I require of them.

The current trend of turning a phone into the equivalent of a desperately helpless infant that requires your constant attention is a sucker's game, selling advertising for soothers I do not need.

Though if my accelerometer detected dangerous G's, and sent a text to someone who could respond, I would not object. In theory, that could work. In practice, the alert would be preceded by ads for trusses, wheelchairs, autobody work, and ambulance chasing lawyers.

#287681 - 01/09/18 09:26 AM Re: Car gets help by itself in an accident? [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Russ
Many smartphones have accelerometers inside. I’m sure some app developer could make an app that would detect when you’re driving and program it to detect that sudden deceleration/stop/crash and dial 9-1-1. My phone rides shotgun in airplane mode. It wouldn’t be much use.

My dashcam app (Hovans Autoguard?) will do that. If it senses an impact, it will archive the video clip. But, there's the previously mentioned problem of survivability after an accident.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#287750 - 01/11/18 12:28 PM Re: Car gets help by itself in an accident? [Re: Russ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ

What happens when you drop your phone while driving smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.