The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#287654 - 01/07/18 05:17 AM People evacuating plane try to grab luggage
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Flames and screams after two jetliners collide at Toronto airport

When will people get it through their heads that trying to grab your luggage when evacuating a burning plane is a really stupid idea?

Quote:
“Grab your jacket, guys,” a man said in the video.
But even then, several passengers reported that the aisles were blocked by people searching for their overhead bags.
“It was ridiculous,” Alagheband told CBC News. “I was literally yelling, ‘Get the F off the plane.’ ”
Everyone made it off. They slid out of the plane into subfreezing weather, onto an airfield that reeked of burned fumes.

#287659 - 01/07/18 09:00 AM Re: People evacuating plane try to grab luggage [Re: AKSAR]
M_a_x Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

When will people get it through their heads that trying to grab your luggage when evacuating a burning plane is a really stupid idea?

They probably wont. It is the way they are used to when exiting a plane. Some are bound to fall back to it when panic starts.
It might require mandatory passing of an evacuation trainig - maybe with recertification every few years - for flight passengers to change that (the reader may judge if that really can be done).
Alternatively they might recruit people like gunny Hartmann as flight attendands.

#287665 - 01/08/18 12:56 AM Re: People evacuating plane try to grab luggage [Re: AKSAR]
Pete Offline
Veteran

The flight attendants should have barked out orders to evacuate ASAP - without hand luggage. Did they have bullhorns? Did they do this?

It's possible that the attendants were so busy with the opening of the doors, and the deployment of emergency slides, that they did not control the passengers.

That kind of behavior of passengers - delaying an emergency exit to reclaim luggage - could really get other passengers killed. It's not just stupid, it's recklessness elevated to the point of manslaughter (if someone does not escape in time). IMO.

Edited by Pete (01/08/18 12:58 AM)

#287670 - 01/08/18 05:22 AM Re: People evacuating plane try to grab luggage [Re: AKSAR]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I don't care for flying at the best of times. And if that flying gas can is on fire, I want out, RIGHT FREAKING NOW!! mad mad mad

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/08/18 05:23 AM)

#287673 - 01/08/18 02:40 PM Re: People evacuating plane try to grab luggage [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I don't care for flying at the best of times. And if that flying gas can is on fire, I want out, RIGHT FREAKING NOW!! mad mad mad

Even at 33,000 feet? As a definite geezer, I can still remember when flying was fun, the planes were not crowded, the meals were free (and decent to excellent). Now I fly less and less, with all sorts ofconcerns (Did I forget to put all my sharps in checked luggage?). I drive more and more,since decent rail service is almost extinct. Yest, I can remember decent rail service....

#287674 - 01/08/18 03:12 PM Re: People evacuating plane try to grab luggage [Re: AKSAR]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm flying more now than ever before in my life. My employer has a generous expense policy, and I get free upgrades on a major airline. I also have TSA PreCheck and almost total control over my itinerary whenever I travel.

It still stinks on ice. I drive whenever I can. I have a 1000 mile trip next week (each way) and if I could get away with it I'd take the extra days on each end to drive.

#287675 - 01/08/18 05:32 PM Re: People evacuating plane try to grab luggage [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I don’t fly on my dime ever. When I need to travel cross-country or up the coast from SOCAL to NW Washington, I drive. I take my time enjoy the view - back roads if I’m not pressed for time.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.