Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#287633 - 01/06/18 02:47 PM New fad: drinking raw water
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Pay extra for untreated water! Who knew being in a survival situation without a water treatment method means you may have the luxury of taking part in the latest Silicone Valley craze? I really should get out more!

What to know about the “raw water” trend: A new Silicon Valley craze could make people sick by Jen Kirby

#287636 - 01/06/18 05:16 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
What's not to love? It grows the economy! Hospitals, lawyers, undertakers ...

I can see how people making untold fortunes in a too-virtual world would be thirsty for the tangible, unfiltered world. Diarrhea is a sure-fire reality check.

Incidentally, I'm starting a side business. I ship magic sticks, blessed by a shaman, that people can poke themselves with to prove they're alive.

#287638 - 01/06/18 05:30 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
And, according to the article, it sells for only $14.80 a gallon. Such a deal!

I have imbibed a lot of "raw water," especially in my youth, hiking in the mountains of Arizona, without subjecting the water to any treatment whatever. This was in infrequently traveled country, quite distant from most contamination. Never had a problem.

Not sure that would work today, along the Pacific Crest Trail, or the Appalachian, with their thundering herds of hikers.

As an old time desert rat, water is water, and any water is better, and infinitely preferable, to no water.

#287640 - 01/06/18 05:48 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Aside from the "sucker born every minute" aspect, I would say that some "raw water" sources are not a particular problem, provided that testing for contamination is done regularly.

Living in the country for most of my life, I have imbibed substantial quantities of well water and apparently survived. But that is "filtered" by the earth, and so perhaps not "raw" enough to qualify.

#287641 - 01/06/18 05:48 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have imbibed a lot of "raw water," especially in my youth, hiking in the mountains of Arizona, without subjecting the water to any treatment whatever.

Can you speak to the mouth feel of the Arizona mountain water? Does it have an overwhelming taste profile? Perhaps it has a floral note with a bit of oaky aftertaste?

#287644 - 01/06/18 06:53 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I know of a couple of potentially good sources for this water, I can guarantee it has a significant bouquet. You can detect the bouquet from quite a distance!

#287645 - 01/06/18 07:03 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
And, according to the article, it sells for only $14.80 a gallon. Such a deal!

I have imbibed a lot of "raw water," especially in my youth, hiking in the mountains of Arizona, without subjecting the water to any treatment whatever. This was in infrequently traveled country, quite distant from most contamination. Never had a problem.

One summer, as a teen, my family vacationed at a resort near a river or stream in Colorado. Using a tin cup, I scooped up some water as is and drank it. It was cool and tasted good too. I don't understand why anyone needs to pay money for that. You just need to be at the location.

Granted, that wasn't as fun as drinking water straight from a garden hose.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287646 - 01/06/18 07:06 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
A couple of years ago Mom and I went to St. Augustine here in Florida and drank from the Fountain of Youth. It doesn't work as advertised.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287647 - 01/06/18 08:05 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
These "raw water drinkers" remind me of a group from Boulder, Colorado a few years back. They were called "The Breathians". They believed they could get all the nutrients they needed to live from the air they breathed.

They aren't around any longer...

#287648 - 01/06/18 08:22 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: haertig]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: haertig
These "raw water drinkers" remind me of a group from Boulder, Colorado a few years back. They were called "The Breathians". They believed they could get all the nutrients they needed to live from the air they breathed.

This seems to be a version of a traditional spiritual belief from the East. If you're truly transcendent/enlightened/in general totally awesome, then you no longer need typical human food. You can survive on air, dew, and other environmental stuff. It's not clear to me whether this was some sort of symbolic/allegorical ideal, or whether people meant it literally. According to tradition, people who can do that are hermits or saints who shun society. They disappear to their caves in the mountains and meditate until the cows come home. I doubt they'd live in Boulder, Colorado.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.