Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#287633 - 01/06/18 02:47 PM New fad: drinking raw water
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Pay extra for untreated water! Who knew being in a survival situation without a water treatment method means you may have the luxury of taking part in the latest Silicone Valley craze? I really should get out more!

What to know about the “raw water” trend: A new Silicon Valley craze could make people sick by Jen Kirby

#287636 - 01/06/18 05:16 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
What's not to love? It grows the economy! Hospitals, lawyers, undertakers ...

I can see how people making untold fortunes in a too-virtual world would be thirsty for the tangible, unfiltered world. Diarrhea is a sure-fire reality check.

Incidentally, I'm starting a side business. I ship magic sticks, blessed by a shaman, that people can poke themselves with to prove they're alive.

#287638 - 01/06/18 05:30 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
And, according to the article, it sells for only $14.80 a gallon. Such a deal!

I have imbibed a lot of "raw water," especially in my youth, hiking in the mountains of Arizona, without subjecting the water to any treatment whatever. This was in infrequently traveled country, quite distant from most contamination. Never had a problem.

Not sure that would work today, along the Pacific Crest Trail, or the Appalachian, with their thundering herds of hikers.

As an old time desert rat, water is water, and any water is better, and infinitely preferable, to no water.

#287640 - 01/06/18 05:48 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Aside from the "sucker born every minute" aspect, I would say that some "raw water" sources are not a particular problem, provided that testing for contamination is done regularly.

Living in the country for most of my life, I have imbibed substantial quantities of well water and apparently survived. But that is "filtered" by the earth, and so perhaps not "raw" enough to qualify.

#287641 - 01/06/18 05:48 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have imbibed a lot of "raw water," especially in my youth, hiking in the mountains of Arizona, without subjecting the water to any treatment whatever.

Can you speak to the mouth feel of the Arizona mountain water? Does it have an overwhelming taste profile? Perhaps it has a floral note with a bit of oaky aftertaste?

#287644 - 01/06/18 06:53 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I know of a couple of potentially good sources for this water, I can guarantee it has a significant bouquet. You can detect the bouquet from quite a distance!

#287645 - 01/06/18 07:03 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
And, according to the article, it sells for only $14.80 a gallon. Such a deal!

I have imbibed a lot of "raw water," especially in my youth, hiking in the mountains of Arizona, without subjecting the water to any treatment whatever. This was in infrequently traveled country, quite distant from most contamination. Never had a problem.

One summer, as a teen, my family vacationed at a resort near a river or stream in Colorado. Using a tin cup, I scooped up some water as is and drank it. It was cool and tasted good too. I don't understand why anyone needs to pay money for that. You just need to be at the location.

Granted, that wasn't as fun as drinking water straight from a garden hose.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287646 - 01/06/18 07:06 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

A couple of years ago Mom and I went to St. Augustine here in Florida and drank from the Fountain of Youth. It doesn't work as advertised.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287647 - 01/06/18 08:05 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
These "raw water drinkers" remind me of a group from Boulder, Colorado a few years back. They were called "The Breathians". They believed they could get all the nutrients they needed to live from the air they breathed.

They aren't around any longer...

#287648 - 01/06/18 08:22 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: haertig]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: haertig
These "raw water drinkers" remind me of a group from Boulder, Colorado a few years back. They were called "The Breathians". They believed they could get all the nutrients they needed to live from the air they breathed.

This seems to be a version of a traditional spiritual belief from the East. If you're truly transcendent/enlightened/in general totally awesome, then you no longer need typical human food. You can survive on air, dew, and other environmental stuff. It's not clear to me whether this was some sort of symbolic/allegorical ideal, or whether people meant it literally. According to tradition, people who can do that are hermits or saints who shun society. They disappear to their caves in the mountains and meditate until the cows come home. I doubt they'd live in Boulder, Colorado.

#287649 - 01/06/18 08:24 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
A couple of years ago Mom and I went to St. Augustine here in Florida and drank from the Fountain of Youth. It doesn't work as advertised.

But we still think you're 18. laugh So maybe it does work, just not in the way you'd expect. It's like the monkey paw version.

#287650 - 01/06/18 10:17 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Arizona water is quite variable, from the effervescent high altitude water of the San Francisco Peaks to the musky, full bodied H2O of the low desert hills. My favorite source is the spring on Lion ledge, Baboquivari Peak, in southwest AZ.

It is robust and hearty, with notes of grandeur and solemnity, followed by a lingering, flirtatious aftertaste. It goes quite well with dates...

#287651 - 01/06/18 11:46 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
But we still think you're 18. laugh So maybe it does work, just not in the way you'd expect. It's like the monkey paw version.

If I were eighteen, I would have been a member since Age 7 and I would be younger than Melody (my youngest cousin). Eek! My baby cousin is turning twenty-one this year.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287658 - 01/07/18 08:01 AM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
If I were eighteen, I would have been a member since Age 7 and I would be younger than Melody (my youngest cousin). Eek!

Amazing! The Fountain of Youth does work! I am envious!

#287663 - 01/07/18 10:13 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I'm from a small town in Oregon whose water was "raw" -- from springs on Mt. Hood.

Could hardly abide Portland's tap water and thought it hysterical when a company began bottling Portland's water in the 1980s.

Maybe I should move home and start bottling from the kitchen sink.

#287664 - 01/07/18 11:27 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Meh, an idiotic fad sprouting from extreme entitlement. After after a few raw water hipsters wind up in the hospital with Giardia the trend will cool off.

#287666 - 01/08/18 03:33 AM Re: New fraud: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Hmm, all info from one article by New York articleist
about some shop that is not in the Silicon Valley
selling some refrigerated Oregon spring water
and it qualifies as a fad?

#287667 - 01/08/18 03:48 AM Re: New fraud: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are quite a few publications following the 'story', it does seem to be a growing trend/movement. It reminds me of the old joke- I'm not saying we kill stupid people, I just say remove all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out.

#287668 - 01/08/18 04:13 AM Re: New fraud: drinking raw water [Re: Phaedrus]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
There are quite a few publications following the 'story', it does seem to be a growing trend/movement. It reminds me of the old joke- I'm not saying we kill stupid people, I just say remove all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out.

Hmm, google news lists 157 "articles" in the past week,
all quoting the same single solo one new york times article,
that doesn't make this a growing trend/movement (bigger than a fad)

Like I said, not sure what qualifies as a fad,
there are no numbers attached to the vague definition,
but I'm pretty sure if the local local news
doesn't report on a "fad" in their own back yard ,
it can't possibly be considered a fad by anyone anywhere
ok maybe its a fad in that one store that sells the water
and then spam got re-posted 157 times

#287669 - 01/08/18 05:17 AM Re: New fraud: drinking raw water [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
and then spam got re-posted 157 times

Good point -- it's possible that we've all been "had."

#287671 - 01/08/18 06:00 AM Re: New fraud: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well fad or not I'll not gonna throw away my Sawyer Mini anytime soon. The company pushing this stuff exists and you buy from them right now so it's not a fabrication.

#287706 - 01/10/18 02:24 AM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
But we still think you're 18. laugh

I should have realized I'm the baby of the group, the youngest whom everyone dotes over.

Jeanette Isabelle

#288152 - 02/10/18 04:54 AM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

#288153 - 02/10/18 07:27 AM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think the Slate piece fires wide to the left. It's certainly true that in some places the water is safe but there are plenty of places where it's not. But I suppose each person can decide for themselves if the water is safe without further treatment.

#288156 - 02/10/18 08:42 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I don't find the referenced article very convincing. I have been hiking in back country and wilderness for more than sixty years, and drinking untreated water for much of that time, less now than then. The woods are more crowded now, and the variety of means for rendering water safe to drink has increased considerably. The most reliable and simplest is usually boiling, often done anyway - what is the point of drinking, if not tea or coffee (maybe beer?).

I have a filter, which I use occasionally. It wasn't that expensive, not that heavy. I have never contracted a water borne illness and I want to keep that record intact. I will still drink from a pristine source, but they are harder and harder to find.

I also rope up on exposed terrain, and wear seat belts....

#288158 - 02/11/18 04:10 AM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I don't find the referenced article very convincing.
Me neither. Seems like it relies on one rather dated study, from one area in California. I'm highly suspicious that other areas, perhaps below the alpine, or in places with significant wildlife populations would show a different story.

Outside Online has a nice rebuttal: Actually, Slate, You Really Should Filter Your Water. As Outside notes in their Pt #4, it is quite easy and inexpensive to kill bad critters in your water, even without a filter. Outsides Point #5 is also right on, in that there was apparently no control group.

I also rope up on exposed terrain, and wear seat belts....

A wise man. No doubt that has contributed to your longevity and achievement of esteemed geezer status! smile

Edited by AKSAR (02/11/18 04:10 AM)

#288159 - 02/11/18 02:04 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

One more comment - As a confirmed desert rat, with a lot of time logged in the Arizona desert, if I had to drink from a questionable water source when dehydrated, I would do so (and have done so a time or two). If you don't drink, you won't get back to town. Once back, your ailment is treatable, but you have got to get back to town first.

#288161 - 02/11/18 09:17 PM Re: New fad: drinking raw water [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

https://www.summitpost.org/drinking-water-in-the-backcountry/789170

Just ran across the above article which treats the subject very well (so to speak). I like his concluding statement - "If all else fails, just boil it."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.