Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#287748 - 01/11/18 05:40 AM Re: What increases your survival chance after a nuke? [Re: haertig]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
What increases your survival chance after a nuke?

Maybe being on the team that sent the nuke rather than the team that received it?

cool

Actually, I'm not sure I'd want to survive after a nuke. I'd want a quick death rather than a lingering one. Maybe if it was really small and/or really far away, you could survive it and come out OK.

I'm kind of that same camp. I love the outdoors- hiking, camping, bush bumming, fishing, etc. But at the end of the trip I want to come back to civilization. I don't know if I want to continue on as an animal if human civilization is gone. Obviously that's not going to happen from a single nuke, depends on the situation.

Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind. wink

#287760 - 01/11/18 09:11 PM Re: What increases your survival chance after a nuke? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Who here on this forum is actually prepping for a nuclear event? I think there are more every day and less mundane events to prep for.

John Lubbock

#287763 - 01/11/18 09:17 PM Re: What increases your survival chance after a nuke? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Who here on this forum is actually prepping for a nuclear event?

I am.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287764 - 01/11/18 09:36 PM Re: What increases your survival chance after a nuke? [Re: Teslinhiker]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Who here on this forum is actually prepping for a nuclear event? I think there are more every day and less mundane events to prep for.

I am, and yes I agree that that there are other and more likely events to prepare for, BUT most preps would also be useful for other disasters.
About the only nuclear specific preps in my case are Geiger counters, most other items are of more general use.
Food, water, clothing footwear, blankets, tools, fuel, batteries, flashlights, lanterns, camping stoves, defensive equipment and the like are of general use in an uncertain future.

In places liable to hurricanes or tornadoes a shelter is prudent against such events, by spending a little more a storm shelter could also serve as a fallout shelter.
In places liable to earthquakes or wild fires, precautions against such events are sensible, your earthquake resistant or fire resistant storage facility could also serve as a fallout shelter.

#287765 - 01/11/18 09:37 PM Re: What increases your survival chance after a nuke? [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Life after the nuke event would have its small compensations. Everything will be glowing in the dark, rendering headlamps and flashlights unnecessary...

#287772 - 01/11/18 11:34 PM Re: What increases your survival chance after a nuke? [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Life after the nuke event would have its small compensations. Everything will be glowing in the dark, rendering headlamps and flashlights unnecessary...

That sounds HORRIBLE.

chaos("I love flashlights and headlamps")magnet

#287775 - 01/12/18 12:06 AM Re: What increases your survival chance after a nuke? [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

That sounds HORRIBLE.

chaos("I love flashlights and headlamps")magnet

It would all depend upon the light quality - neutral white, high CRI, and all that good stuff -hopefully no garish green or yellow tints. Economical and long lasting - the light would shine for a life time...

#287784 - 01/12/18 03:37 AM Re: What increases your survival chance after a nuke? [Re: adam2]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I was wondering as much because a local chemical plant had an incident recently and advised that the near by residents turn off the HVAC as in response to a nuclear event.

The only connections between the inside and outside units are electrical and pipes (1 about 2" dia. including insulation, one copper about 1/4" dia. and the condensate pump line).

Power would depend on who and how big the exchange was. Unless they are shooting at the nuclear fuel plant near us, the next closest would be Oak Ridge Labs.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.