The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#287624 - 01/05/18 10:58 AM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
After wrestling with some of the junk I have used in the past, I am very happy that light, any light, emerges when I mash on the switch.

Sayeth the carbide lamp guy!

#287625 - 01/05/18 01:05 PM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: gonewiththewind]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
That isn't necessarily true. Food contaminated with botulism is not safe to eat after cooking. This is not due to the bactirium, but rather the toxins produced by the bactirium which do not go away with cooking.

That said, smell it. If it still smells good then it is "PROBABLY" still good. Vacuum packed food does last longer un-refrigerated in my experience.

#287626 - 01/05/18 02:29 PM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Botulism is very rare and needs a very narrow range of environmental conditions to grow and build up the toxin: low oxygen, salt, acid, etc. Think canned foods. Meat that has been unrefrigerated for a few hours will not develop botulism. Meat that has been rotting in the open air will almost certainly not develop botulism. If rotten meat is cooked well (high heat for a long time) it will not hurt you. Been there, done that, multiple times. You can eat old road kill if you cook it well enough.

#287627 - 01/05/18 04:03 PM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Loved my carbide lamps back in the day!! Heat and light all in one, usually reliable appliance. Now my lamps are just treasured antiques, sitting on the shelf.

The problem is obtaining and maintaining carbide, which decomposes readily around humidity and water. Just not worth the hassle.

I have embraced 18650 batteries, with their great capacity, inserted into beautifully designed lights. But they will never replace the warmth of a hand held carbide, cradled in one's hands, walking along a trail on a cold, frosty night....

The geezer will now be silent.

#287628 - 01/05/18 05:51 PM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Hikermor, have you gotten rid of your oil lamps yet?

#287629 - 01/05/18 07:01 PM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Of course not!! Who would ever do such a thing!

Actually, I believe there is an old kerosene lamp out in the garage, inherited from a previous owner, as well as a couple of Coleman mantle lanterns. I don't think I am actually counting on them for anything useful. Much easier and probably safer to rely on solar and electric lighting....

#287630 - 01/05/18 10:13 PM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I usually take an ice chest to the grocery store. I also put several half gallon bottles full of ice in the ice chest. This way even if I spend another hour or so running errands then the food is still safe.

#287711 - 01/10/18 04:52 AM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I’ve carried various Photon lights on my key chain almost since they were first marketed. I currently use a yellow bulb , Photon Freedom , with the cowl over the bulb sides. I perceive more beam projection ( unscientific impression) with the cowl and certainly less distracting side scatter. I chose yellow light based on the info on the Photon site. Yellow seemed the best combo of illumination, battery life and night vision preservation. Check out the descriptions on their website. I avoided red as I live urban. I do not want to be mistaken for a “ shooter” when turning the light on or changing aim point.

NOTE: I carry the Freedom as a backup to my Fenix E05. It serves well in that role. HOWEVER, the push switch is too easily depressed in the pocket, by keys, etc., resulting in a depleted light. So I carry mine on the neck dangler, switch faced in. That prevents accidental “on”.

#287715 - 01/10/18 08:37 AM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I recently replaced my EDC Fenix L1D light to a Nitecore Tip. These newer keychain sized lights have really taken off in brightness and usability. Also, rechargeable by USB, so that part is also easy.

The old micro Photon honestly never impressed me that much

#287730 - 01/10/18 05:55 PM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The point about not using red light in an urban environment seems like a good one. You don't want to turn on your light, only to hear someone yelling, "He's got a gun!!!" Thanks for providing this tip!

Personally, the Micro Photon works for me. I want something light and small, and I can compromise on the lumens. I usually have a much more powerful light in my purse. I'm sure the Feix L1D and Nitecore Tip are brighter and more capable, but they are a little too big for me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.