Topic Options
#287590 - 01/03/18 11:36 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I am afraid to list mine!

#287592 - 01/04/18 01:42 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I tried MT's a loooong time ago. It just didn't work for me. When things go wrong in some unpopulated uncivilized place, it pays to have tools that give a lot of leverage.
1. An adjustable crescent wrench, about 8 inches. This tool is also a good self-defense weapon.
2. Some tough pliers. High quality. Not small.
3. The biggest screwdriver you can find in the hardware store.

This stuff weighs a lot more than a MT, but when it's "make or break" out there, there's no substitute.

But ... have fun with your MT Obsession!!

Edited by Pete (01/04/18 01:43 AM)

#287593 - 01/04/18 03:24 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

It is not an obsession, I can quit any time I want too. OOOOO a new multi tool!!!

#287595 - 01/04/18 04:25 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Your point is quite valid, but situations vary. I would say that MTs are handy and useful,but cannot, nor should not, do everything. Just today, I had to clean the strainer on our kitchen faucet. I had my Skeletool in my pocket and tried that - way too small and the fitting was really stuck tight. So over to the toolbox and got a channellock pliers that made the task easy.

It's just that a lot of times, you only need to tighten a screw, or adjust a fitting - something very basic and trivial. If you don't have a tool handy, the most lengthy part of the process can be finding the screwdriver, or whatever you need. For most of the stuff I encounter, the MT gets the job done very capably.

Years ago I was on the beach and a dinghy was bring people and supplies in to the shore. During one of the trips, the bow line of the dinghy got tangled in the propeller of the dinghy (big mistake - the bow line should be short enough that entanglement is impossible). The dinghy operator didn't have a knife, nor did anyone else on the shore - except me! We swam my PST out to the dinghy, which was drifting slowly toward some rocks, and freed the prop. I was surprised that i was the only one of about four people who had any kind of a cutting instrument available....

#287601 - 01/04/18 08:19 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Mine is pretty moderate:
- Swisstool X; in the car
- Swisstool spirit; in the house
- LM squirt PS4; outdoor repair kit
- Big SAK in the camp kitchen box
- Regular SAK as EDC

Currently planning on clearing items from mine house. Sold mine 2 Fenix flashlights last week. (apparently, somebody will buy 8-year-old flashlights for more money than current equivalents) having too much stuff makes me feel uncomfortable.

#287602 - 01/04/18 11:40 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
The SOG gears system puts it top of my list as it'll chop through 3 times tougher stuff (in my experience) than my leatherman or victorinox. And the replacable blades add versatility and longevity.
Another advantage is the one handed opening blades on the power assist. Lock knives are illegal in the UK. If you have a good reason to carry one you'll get away with a multi-tool.

qjs

#287606 - 01/04/18 01:50 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The best tool in the world is the one you have on you when you need it. The one back in the garage is useless. Multi tools are more likely to be on you, but they are not the best tools, just there when you need something.

#287608 - 01/04/18 02:34 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Another consideration is weight and bulk - not a big deal at home or in the workplace where specialized, beefy tools are usually at hand. It is a different story when you are out in the boonies. Then the versatility of a good MT really shines....

#287615 - 01/04/18 06:34 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I've got a couple of Gerbers and minis in various BOB's, but I love my Wave! I've got one in my EDC backpack and one in my purse.(No idea which models they are but hubby and I got them ten years ago for our 6th Wedding Anniversary. No bits, just a MT.) They've come in handy more times than I can count. At one point, after a wheel came off a kid's bike on the way to the park, I actually thought about carrying two. LOL!

I don't carry one on the trail, preferring to use a knife, SAK or rock. Hubby has ditched his in favour of real tools. He's a sheet metal roofer, so is well tooled. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#287616 - 01/04/18 06:41 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Another consideration is weight and bulk - not a big deal at home or in the workplace where specialized, beefy tools are usually at hand. It is a different story when you are out in the boonies. Then the versatility of a good MT really shines....

I stopped carrying one in my hiking pack. A Mora with a SAK and my Bacho Laplander are my go tos in the trail. They are much bulkier though, and probably weigh more too. For a lightweight trip though, when I don't expect to be bushcrafting, my WAVE totally fits the bill.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.