Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#287523 - 12/30/17 02:29 PM Lost hunter shares survival story near Duluth MN
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
http://www.wdio.com/news/lost-hunter-sha...5051/?cat=10335 Even though the report says he was 'lost' he was actually stuck in the deep icy ditches that line many of the tote roads in that area.

#287525 - 12/30/17 09:53 PM Re: Lost hunter shares survival story near Duluth MN [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Almost done in by 'one last road'. He's very lucky to have survived.

#287529 - 12/31/17 04:04 PM Re: Lost hunter shares survival story near Duluth MN [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A few more details here:
http://admin.echopress.com/news/4379858-lost-hunter-rescued-subzero-temps-loggers

Being stranded in -30 temperatures is very serious. Partially incapacitated and out in the open? That's when the grim reaper comes calling.

I guess we don't really need to go through the standard "cascade effect" list that got him into such deep trouble. It's the classic scenario that keeps repeating.

The thing is, as a law enforcement officer, he was undoubtedly involved in a lot of search and rescue operations over the years. I don't mean to be snarky, but I'm rather surprised that he would have made this series of mistakes. It's a caution to us all.

#287530 - 12/31/17 06:25 PM Re: Lost hunter shares survival story near Duluth MN [Re: dougwalkabout]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
A few more details here:
http://admin.echopress.com/news/4379858-lost-hunter-rescued-subzero-temps-loggers

Being stranded in -30 temperatures is very serious. Partially incapacitated and out in the open? That's when the grim reaper comes calling.

I guess we don't really need to go through the standard "cascade effect" list that got him into such deep trouble. It's the classic scenario that keeps repeating.

The thing is, as a law enforcement officer, he was undoubtedly involved in a lot of search and rescue operations over the years. I don't mean to be snarky, but I'm rather surprised that he would have made this series of mistakes. It's a caution to us all.

I thought the same thing. I used to live in that county, and it's a huge county that borders the BWCAW and Canada wilderness. It is a pretty stark wilderness with a few tiny towns in the interior. There are lots of no-name tote roads curving through the woods in various states of repair, and most are not plowed in winter. Much of the land there is wet boggy pine, aspen, and brush in summer. The tote roads are raised like berms in many areas above the bogs and so they have a 2 or 3 foot sharp drop to a water filled channel. If you drive off the road, you are either high-centered or will roll over. I spent a lot of time in those backwoods areas and I have the utmost respect. Bears are hibernating now, but there are a lot of wolves in the forest there. I have to think he just got overconfident in his truck and driving skills, and that and the lack of basic preparations put him in grave danger.

#287585 - 01/03/18 09:53 PM Re: Lost hunter shares survival story near Duluth MN [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

a winter survival kit in the car might have helped.
- food
- water
- lights
- -30 bag
- extra clothing
- heat/ heaters

#287587 - 01/03/18 10:45 PM Re: Lost hunter shares survival story near Duluth MN [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A little something to provide for signaling when outside normal traffic areas. Assuming no cell service, use of a PLB may have been totally justified.

#287599 - 01/04/18 07:05 AM Re: Lost hunter shares survival story near Duluth MN [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
One might wonder if it is wise to go hunting alone with a medical problem like:

Quote:
Living with Emphysema, the farthest he says he's capable of walking is about a mile.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/emphysema/symptoms-causes/syc-20355555

#287600 - 01/04/18 08:18 AM Re: Lost hunter shares survival story near Duluth MN [Re: Herman30]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Herman30
One might wonder if it is wise to go hunting alone with a medical problem like:

Quote:
Living with Emphysema, the farthest he says he's capable of walking is about a mile.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/emphysema/symptoms-causes/syc-20355555

Yeah, good point. Still, putting myself in his shoes...I've been doing this my whole life, I know the area, my truck is in good shape... Easy to get complacent.

#287617 - 01/04/18 06:49 PM Re: Lost hunter shares survival story near Duluth MN [Re: Phaedrus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

...Still, putting myself in his shoes...I've been doing this my whole life, I know the area, my truck is in good shape... Easy to get complacent.

That's so often the case. We seem naturally inclined to think that either every calamity or none will befall us. I'm wired to be the first, but I'm working on finding a middle ground, but it only takes a split second...

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#290802 - 10/08/18 05:48 PM Re: Lost hunter shares survival story near Duluth MN [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

..I'd always assumed hunters would always carry a season/location appropriate kit.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.