Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#287564 - 01/03/18 07:09 AM Prepping in the news
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/why-ar...NhW1?li=BBnbfcL

The author tries to spin it as a increase in the doomsday nutters. But it comes across like more people are taking the emergency management agencies advice, and taking steps to deal with disasters.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#287567 - 01/03/18 09:19 AM Re: Prepping in the news [Re: Mark_R]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The MSN report is actually a report of a report. The original is a bit more informative, but I think they confuse doomsday prepping with just regular disaster prepping.

https://www.finder.com/doomsday-prepper-statistics

#287573 - 01/03/18 03:04 PM Re: Prepping in the news [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I love the percentages figured out to two decimals, while the margin of error is ??? - probably at least 5 per cent (their methodology section gives no clue.

I spent bunches last year, and the year before that, etc. on disaster supplies - for me, it's called camping and outdoor gear. Indeed, when I left home for real last month, the stuff in my vehicle was indistinguishable from what I carry when going on a back pack trip. The additions were our cat, the family photos, and important papers (the TP in particular).

It would have been nice to see some geographical analysis - How many "fallout shelters"ended up in Tornado Alley?

When I am in a "prepping" mode, my biggest challenge is organizing my collection of outdoor gear and tools, so that I know where everything is, and I can get my hands on stuff if and when I need anything in an emergency.

#287576 - 01/03/18 04:04 PM Re: Prepping in the news [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I love the percentages figured out to two decimals, while the margin of error is ??? - probably at least 5 per cent (their methodology section gives no clue.

I doubt that 5% is even close. A serious report would have used percentages of the sample group without extrapolating to an entire population.
They do not give a figure for the 100%. 2000 is about 0.00% of the American adult population (so basically they surveyed noone). They also switch between Americans and adult Americans.
They also make some logic fellacies (e. g. "Doomsday prepping" does not go together well with "insurance").

#287579 - 01/03/18 06:14 PM Re: Prepping in the news [Re: M_a_x]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I think that defining categories within the "survival" spectrum could use a little work. Thinking back, I have had a survival streak in me for a long time, since early on in my life, especially at the start of my career, I was working in isolated conditions where self sufficiency was a real good idea. In my first permanent job, I was forty-five miles from town, and provisions, especially dates, were not easy to procure. Stashing food and other necessities was just being sensible.

SAR experience got me attuned to responding quickly to emergency situations, reasonably well equipped for unforeseen conditions. Moving to California, I was impressed with the well documented history of earthquakes and wild fires, two contingencies for which I specifically continue to prepare.

I do think that a lot of the concern for end of the world, total societal collapse, and all that is paranoid fantasy. Hey, I am an archaeologist, making my career studying collapsed, bygone societies, and the bottom line is that they end with a whimper, not a bang.

I'll bet a lot of hubbies are justifying their gear purchases on the basis of utility in emergencies. Of course, I would never do that....

#287580 - 01/03/18 06:50 PM Re: Prepping in the news [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My gut tells me these guys watch way too many movies that deal with the “end of the world, total societal collapse, and all that is paranoid fantasy”, so when they write a piece on “prepping”, their thinking goes to the NatGeo’s show “Doomsday Preppers”. They don’t think about a camper who packs his truck and vacates the area while a wildfire passes through, where’s the excitement and drama???

#287581 - 01/03/18 08:47 PM Re: Prepping in the news [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
In my first permanent job, I was forty-five miles from town, and provisions, especially dates, were not easy to procure. Stashing food and other necessities was just being sensible.

What emergency supplies did you stash to replace dates? lol

#287586 - 01/03/18 10:25 PM Re: Prepping in the news [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

This was 1962(CE, not BCE) and I was short of money, this being my first permanent job. My first check would not arrive for a month after I had started work. So I read up on the archaeology, natural history etc. of the area (Wupatki Nat'l Mon), spending many quiet evenings in my quarters, gaining a reputation as a devoted scholar, a reputation that was in question as soon as the first paycheck arrived. I set sail for Flagstaff, in search of dates! I was making $4,000 a year, my VW beetle was paid for, and I was rich beyond belief. I am pretty sure you can still find dates in Flagstaff....

#287589 - 01/03/18 11:35 PM Re: Prepping in the news [Re: Mark_R]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I love Flagstaff, good restaurants and great scenery. Close to many good things.

#287597 - 01/04/18 04:50 AM Re: Prepping in the news [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Yes, everything from the San Francisco Peaks to the red rocks of Sedona, with the Grand Canyon and the Hopi and Navajo Reserations as well...

I really like Arizona!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.