Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#287560 - 01/03/18 04:10 AM Multitool Mania
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Hello, my name is Hikermor and I suffer from multotool addiction (mania,if you will)...

I counted and I possess at least nine, all Leathermen of one type or another. Two original PST's (if this model had a locking blade, it would be well nigh perfect), a Juice, an original Wave, a second model Wave, a Blast, a Kick, a PS4, and a Skeletool CX. I EDC the PS4 and it is the most used. I really like the Skeletool - a wonderful blade, plus pliers and screwdrivers. The Wave 2.0 is especially nice, but I have gone a bit overboard, cramming a Bit Kit, a tool extender, a handmade awl, and a 4" adjustable wrench into its pouch, making it just a bit too heavy for routine wear, but I do keep it handy, and it is worn when it is likely to be used.

I turn pale, becoming agitated, nauseated (dry heaves and all that), and unpredictable when unable to access at least the PS4 and the Skeletool. Do I have an addiction problem? It all started with a Swiss Army Knife, back in college....

Edited by hikermor (01/03/18 04:18 AM)

#287561 - 01/03/18 04:26 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I don't have a MT problem, I can quit whenever I want! blush grin Not really sure how many I have right off. Hmmm, let's see...I've got a Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X, Leatherman Flair, Leatherman Wave, Leatherman Style CX, a Gerber that's old enough that I'm not sure what it is (25+ years old no longer made), 2 x Gerber Dime, Leatherman Crunch and one old beat up Flair that doesn't really count (got it from eBay and it was in much poorer condition that the seller advertised- usable but a couple blades are broken or missing). The one gap in my collection is the Skeletool CX but I just found a used one a couple days ago, and it should be here later in the week. cool

I kind of go back and forth with my thinking- MT vs SAK? A few trips to the woods have been saved by the presence of one or the other over the years. Something like the Victorinox Cybertool 34 can do almost everything a good Multipliers can do except, well, the stuff that requires a robust pliers. Certainly a larger SAK and a Leatherman Wingman or Wave can do darned near everything I know how to do! If I can't fix something with those tools then having an entire toolbox probably wont' help me.

To my mind the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X is the finest multi-tool made. It's built like a Swiss watch with the most ergonomic layout I've yet found. My second favorite is probably the late lamented Leatherman Flair.

#287562 - 01/03/18 04:30 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
What, only nine? That's mighty thin gruel, hardly even qualifying as a fanboy snack. Heck, I've given away more than that!

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/03/18 04:34 AM)

#287563 - 01/03/18 06:05 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I was snowmobiling by myself in a remote area of northern MN when suddenly my sled stopped. Took me awhile to figure out that a piece of barbed wire had rolled up around the track axle. Fortunately I had my LM Supertool with me and I flipped the sled and eventually got the wire out. I had basic survival stuff with me, but I didn't expect any problems with barbed wire in a remote area. It would have been a really long walk. Now I always carry a gen 1 Wave with me. I have a gen 2, plus several other models. Gen 2 is better, I suppose, but I like the older one, and even bought a backup in case I lose it.

#287566 - 01/03/18 09:10 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The first step is to admit that you're powerless over your multitool addiction, and you life has become unmanageable as a consequence. This is one of the most difficult things to do, but this is absolutely necessary on your path to recovery.

The second step is to go to your local sporting goods store and buy more multitools.

The third to the twelfth step -- see the second step.

#287568 - 01/03/18 01:12 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I do not accept that it is a problem. I refuse to admit it.

#287569 - 01/03/18 01:53 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Fortunately, I'm only addicted to flashlights (it has to be MAG-LITE, I have five of them) and first aid kits (I like to design and build first aid kits).

Jeanette Isabelle

#287570 - 01/03/18 01:54 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I blame it on the enablers at the AMU at Ft Benning... they added the little guys to the shooters bag for the 3 gun challenge matches... I've managed to rust my original that I carry on my gun belt

#287572 - 01/03/18 02:27 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I have given away quite a few, mostly to TSA. If you ever visit Santa Rosa Island (CA), keep your eyes open for the Skeletool CX that went missing on a project I worked about a year ago, probably on the western portion of the island. As soon as I reached the mainland and realized that it was gone forever, I replaced it with the current item, which I almost always carry...

#287584 - 01/03/18 09:52 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Hello, my name is Hikermor and I suffer from multotool addiction

Hi hikermor!

• PST
  • Original Super Tool
  • Victorinox SwissTool
  • Original Wave
  • New Wave > Modified Rave
  • Super Tool 300 (x2)
  • Original Surge
  • New Surge
  • Limited Edition 30th Anniversary Edition Super Tool 300
  • Squirt PS4
  • Style PS
  • Sidekick
  • MUT
  • Signal
  • Rebar > Pliers head went into the Rave
  • Another unmodified Rebar

I've owned two Rebars, one was sacrificed along with my New Wave to create a Rave. It was a lot of effort; if Leatherman came out with a third-gen Wave that had the replaceable wirecutters from the Rebar I would buy it immediately.

The PST, Original Super Tool and SwissTool have all been sent to the retirement drawer. The only safe queen is the Limited Edition ST300; all others are or have been users.

The only one that had serious quality problems out of the box was my first MUT; the plastic bit-storage area came broken and the bit driver was too tight to release the bit. Leatherman replaced it and I've used that one good and hard since. I've yet to go to the range with my MUT and not use it for something. I also had a Rebar come (as a gift to a relative, not one from my list above) with pivots that were so tight as to constitute a factory defect, but I was able to fix that at home.

After enough abuse I've broken two PS4s, both of which Leatherman replaced. The PS4 is also retired. I fly so much that the Style PS is a permanent resident on my keyring. Leatherman replaced one of those after the scissors spring broke.

#287590 - 01/03/18 11:36 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I am afraid to list mine!

#287592 - 01/04/18 01:42 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I tried MT's a loooong time ago. It just didn't work for me. When things go wrong in some unpopulated uncivilized place, it pays to have tools that give a lot of leverage.
1. An adjustable crescent wrench, about 8 inches. This tool is also a good self-defense weapon.
2. Some tough pliers. High quality. Not small.
3. The biggest screwdriver you can find in the hardware store.

This stuff weighs a lot more than a MT, but when it's "make or break" out there, there's no substitute.

But ... have fun with your MT Obsession!!

Edited by Pete (01/04/18 01:43 AM)

#287593 - 01/04/18 03:24 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

It is not an obsession, I can quit any time I want too. OOOOO a new multi tool!!!

#287595 - 01/04/18 04:25 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Your point is quite valid, but situations vary. I would say that MTs are handy and useful,but cannot, nor should not, do everything. Just today, I had to clean the strainer on our kitchen faucet. I had my Skeletool in my pocket and tried that - way too small and the fitting was really stuck tight. So over to the toolbox and got a channellock pliers that made the task easy.

It's just that a lot of times, you only need to tighten a screw, or adjust a fitting - something very basic and trivial. If you don't have a tool handy, the most lengthy part of the process can be finding the screwdriver, or whatever you need. For most of the stuff I encounter, the MT gets the job done very capably.

Years ago I was on the beach and a dinghy was bring people and supplies in to the shore. During one of the trips, the bow line of the dinghy got tangled in the propeller of the dinghy (big mistake - the bow line should be short enough that entanglement is impossible). The dinghy operator didn't have a knife, nor did anyone else on the shore - except me! We swam my PST out to the dinghy, which was drifting slowly toward some rocks, and freed the prop. I was surprised that i was the only one of about four people who had any kind of a cutting instrument available....

#287601 - 01/04/18 08:19 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Mine is pretty moderate:
- Swisstool X; in the car
- Swisstool spirit; in the house
- LM squirt PS4; outdoor repair kit
- Big SAK in the camp kitchen box
- Regular SAK as EDC

Currently planning on clearing items from mine house. Sold mine 2 Fenix flashlights last week. (apparently, somebody will buy 8-year-old flashlights for more money than current equivalents) having too much stuff makes me feel uncomfortable.

#287602 - 01/04/18 11:40 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
The SOG gears system puts it top of my list as it'll chop through 3 times tougher stuff (in my experience) than my leatherman or victorinox. And the replacable blades add versatility and longevity.
Another advantage is the one handed opening blades on the power assist. Lock knives are illegal in the UK. If you have a good reason to carry one you'll get away with a multi-tool.

qjs

#287606 - 01/04/18 01:50 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The best tool in the world is the one you have on you when you need it. The one back in the garage is useless. Multi tools are more likely to be on you, but they are not the best tools, just there when you need something.

#287608 - 01/04/18 02:34 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Another consideration is weight and bulk - not a big deal at home or in the workplace where specialized, beefy tools are usually at hand. It is a different story when you are out in the boonies. Then the versatility of a good MT really shines....

#287615 - 01/04/18 06:34 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I've got a couple of Gerbers and minis in various BOB's, but I love my Wave! I've got one in my EDC backpack and one in my purse.(No idea which models they are but hubby and I got them ten years ago for our 6th Wedding Anniversary. No bits, just a MT.) They've come in handy more times than I can count. At one point, after a wheel came off a kid's bike on the way to the park, I actually thought about carrying two. LOL!

I don't carry one on the trail, preferring to use a knife, SAK or rock. Hubby has ditched his in favour of real tools. He's a sheet metal roofer, so is well tooled. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#287616 - 01/04/18 06:41 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Another consideration is weight and bulk - not a big deal at home or in the workplace where specialized, beefy tools are usually at hand. It is a different story when you are out in the boonies. Then the versatility of a good MT really shines....

I stopped carrying one in my hiking pack. A Mora with a SAK and my Bacho Laplander are my go tos in the trail. They are much bulkier though, and probably weigh more too. For a lightweight trip though, when I don't expect to be bushcrafting, my WAVE totally fits the bill.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#287618 - 01/04/18 11:12 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, a multi tool is rarely as good as having a channel lock, vice grip and a full set of screwdrivers but a small version of each in your pocket beats a whole work shop back at the house.

#287656 - 01/07/18 06:19 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I posted it elsewhere but I'll mention here that Woot.com is selling the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X for $70 right now! shocked IMOHO it's the best MT ever made and this is the best version of it. The deal ends at Midnite Sunday or when they sell out, and this will probably sell out as it's easily the best price I've ever seen!

Multitool junkies, get on this! I already placed my order of course. cool

#287657 - 01/07/18 06:24 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Hello, my name is Hikermor and I suffer from multotool addiction (mania,if you will)...
---------------------------------------
I turn pale, becoming agitated, nauseated (dry heaves and all that), and unpredictable when unable to access at least the PS4 and the Skeletool. Do I have an addiction problem? It all started with a Swiss Army Knife, back in college....

I'm not an addict. Not me. No way. I'm more of a social multitool user. I only have about 5, more or less.

I have an original Leatherman, the simple one. Also another identical one made by Leatherman, but with Cabelas name stamped on it. And a couple of Leatherman "Juice C2", which I find is a good compromise between being small and lightweight but still having a pliers robust enough to actually use.

The one that sees the most use these days is a Leatherman "Kick", which is pretty simple, and no longer available. It is similar to the original (with only a pliers, knife, can opener, phillips screwdriver, and a couple of regular screwdrivers), but has a plastic insert that makes it easier on the hand when using the pliers. Since I retired, I find myself frequently dealing with "honey do's", so the Kick rides on my hip most days around the house.

I think the real utility of multitools around the house are for the very simple jobs. Cut or bend a bit of wire, tighten a screw, etc. Having a multitool on my hip can save me a trip to the garage to get into my toolbox.

The other big use for a multitool is in a small field repair kit for fixing simple outdoor gear items. Mine is a small nylon bag with one of the Leatherman, a small crescent wrench, a small roll of Gorilla tape, a bit of wire, a tiny can of WD40, a small sewing kit, some fabric repair tape, a tiny tube of seam seal, a little tube of superglue, and a few zip ties. It's a bit too heavy and bulky for backpacking, but rides nicely in my sea kayak, or other situations when I don't need to lug it on my back.

I don't much care for most of the currently available multitools by Leatherman and others. It seems like they try to cram more and more stuff in, turning them into bloatware. They are too fat and heavy, and have too many things I rarely if ever need in a multitool. If the job really requires a bit selection, it probably also requires other real tools from my real tool box.

Your views and experience may differ. But I'm a keep it simple kind of guy.

#287788 - 01/12/18 01:12 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Speaking of multitools,
I see some of you listed the Leatherman Signal among your collection.

How would you judge it, from an outdoor use perspective?

Are the saw, sharpener, firestarter and whistle really useful (i.e. they can effectively stand in for their single-object conunterparts), or are they just gimmicks introduced by Leatherman to ride the whole survival-preparedness fad?

Thank you very much!

albusgrammaticus

#287793 - 01/12/18 03:57 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

I own one. I wrote a First Impressions review at https://www.edcforums.com/threads/leatherman-signal-first-impressions.132575/ .

Overall I like it. To directly answer your questions:

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet on EDCF
The whistle on the ferro rod works, but it isn't super-loud. I would prefer a Fox 40 Micro or something similarly loud. As a backup to a better whistle it's adequate. This component is easy to remove but secure when in place; Leatherman did some clever packaging here.

I tested the sharpener with a couple of passes on the S30V blade. With some patience and care, it can be made to work and is definitely better than nothing. A dedicated pocket sharpener would be a lot easier to use and give better results; in other words, it's an adequate backup. The unlocking lever for the inside bits also keeps the sharpener secure.

#287796 - 01/12/18 06:45 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: chaosmagnet]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Thank you very much Chaosmagnet.

Just finished reading your insightful review.

I normally carry a SAK on day hikes/backcountry walks, but I can imagine occasions where a good pair of pliers could come in handy.

I never owned a multitool. Well, I guess now I've just a few gazillion brands and models to choose from... whistle

albusgrammaticus

#287799 - 01/12/18 08:36 PM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

You're welcome! If I had to own just a single multi it would almost certainly be a Wave. I love the Surge and the ST300 but they're both pretty darn large for the capacity. I've modded my Wave to have a Rebar's pliers head (so it's a Rave) and an S30V plain edge blade. I use it a lot.

#287814 - 01/13/18 12:57 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I have a pretty good selection of assorted SAK's and LM's. I have tried several times to leave my LM (a Supertool 200 when bushwacking) at home when camping and hunting up in the national forests. Instead I carry a Vic Huntsman and a full tang belt knife. Even though the Vic is very capable when combined with a bigger knife, for no reason that I can articulate, it makes me nervous to do this.

Edited by Byrd_Huntr (01/13/18 01:01 AM)

#287952 - 01/20/18 10:10 AM Re: Multitool Mania [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, the mania continues! grin Recently I picked up a couple more MT's from another forum. A fellow was selling a Leatherman Skeletool and an entry level Gerber tool for $30 shipped for both of 'em! shocked I felt a little guilty so I threw in an extra $15 but even so that's a great deal. Always wanted a Skeletool but never pulled the trigger, so I was stoked!

It doesn't disappoint! Most of the time that I reach for a MT it's to use the pliers. If not the pliers, often a screwdriver. Or a knife. The Skeletool has just those three tools that I use most with none of the stuff I rarely use. It's a very lightweight multitool! The quality seems excellent and it feels sturdy and smooth. I decided to order the spare driver kit from Amazon to round out the package.

So today it arrived! It's two small flat plastic widgets that each hold ten (10) double-ended bits for a total of 20 pieces; that works out to 40 different bits and drivers yet it takes very little space. The Skeletool holds one bit in the driver socket and one in a small compartment in the handle. So I stuck the Philips bit in the handle and swapped in the Torx bit that fits the screws that attach the TKC scales to my ESEE knives. IIRC it's the same bit that fits the kydex adjusters of my Garrett Industries holsters, too!

So far I'm very pleased! I don't think it will bump the Spirit X from its perch atop my list of favorites but I really like it a lot.

BTW, my SwissTool X also showed up from Woot! cool Multitool mania indeed! grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.