Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#287401 - 12/18/17 07:32 PM Emergency Chow
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What is the ideal emergency food - something that is reasonably nutritious, palatable, stores easily, and can be consumed with no cooking. While food is not required immediately during an emergency, my experience is that I function much better if I am fed. Hydration, of course, is another matter entirely, and is an absolute necessity.

In terms of chow, I have come to prefer various items packaged in a "candy bar" format -sealed packages that are water and air tight. These items can be tucked away at the bottom of a pack or in other odd spots until they are needed, sometimes years later.

Item one - Clif bars - various flavors, 250 (+/- depending on flavor), edible long after best by date but noticeably dry (solved by dipping in hot coffee if needed) - widely available in the US and reasonably cheap

Item two - Tanka Bars - my favorite - mostly buffalo meat (with cranberries) so essentially pemmican, a classic survival food, not widely available, but can be ordered from REI - expensive ($3/bar) -very long lasting (one was quite tasty, none years past its best buy date) - only 70 calories but nearly all protein

RXBar - something I just picked up at the local Trader Joe's -210 calories, reasonably tasty, healthy ingredients although fairly high sodium, no idea as to durability, but looks like a keeper...

There's lots of stuff out there, and I understand a lot of just plain candy is pretty decent (Snickers Bars). What are your faves? Restricted to items that can be consumed right out of the wrapper and that will keep a long time....

#287402 - 12/18/17 07:35 PM Re: Emergency Chow [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I've been stocking Millennium bars. They're not well-loved by my children so they don't disappear from kits, but everyone can eat them without negative gastrointestinal effects, and they last a long time in storage.

#287405 - 12/18/17 09:36 PM Re: Emergency Chow [Re: hikermor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Have not eaten the prepared bars in quite a while.

Do they still make Power Bars? The chocolate kind was too sweet ... a little sickly. But the banana flavor was OK.

Really ... I think that crackers, canned tuna (small cans with pop tops), peanut butter, and some fruits is a good way to go. I don't like really sweet things, that much. It's a bit more bulky, but I prefer giving my stomach things that it actually likes. For me, it especially helps to have some protein. Beef jerky is also pretty good, I like the teriyaki. :-)

Pete

#287409 - 12/19/17 12:20 AM Re: Emergency Chow [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
In my EDC bag, I keep an 8 oz bottle of water, two nutritional shakes, protein bars (actual number of bars change) and an 8 Count box of cracker sandwiches

Jeanette Isabelle

#287410 - 12/19/17 03:38 AM Re: Emergency Chow [Re: hikermor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
while I've used Cliff bars on hunting trips,they are not a stored staple... during hurricane season I get a large box of Nature Valley Almond Sweet and Salty Nut bars from Sam's Club...I don't really know the life expectancy after use by date, but I agree with Hikermore that having a familiar tasting snack can be very comforting in a period of stress....

#287411 - 12/19/17 04:06 AM Re: Emergency Chow [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Dry dog kibble. No one will eat it until they really need it.

#287413 - 12/19/17 06:16 AM Re: Emergency Chow [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I hate the Millenium bars but I love Datrex lifeboat rations.

#287414 - 12/19/17 08:12 AM Re: Emergency Chow [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I use a cereal bar (the actual brand is "Corny") in different flavours. The shelve life is reasonable and the bars need to be checked regularly for bugs anyway. I rotated them when I order new ones or when they are about to expire. I also have some chocolate. I decided to go for SCHO-KA-KOLA. It comes in a nice tin and is available in semi bitter and milk chocolate.

#287421 - 12/19/17 05:32 PM Re: Emergency Chow [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Hey, maybe you guys can help assess this. Is pemmican supposed to be greasy? In the reviews of the following product on Amazon, some buyers complain that the pemmican is "really gross," "nothing but lard," "from another friggin' century," etc. Is this what pemmican is supposed to taste like?

https://www.amazon.com/Lakeside-Gourmet-...s=beef+pemmican

#287422 - 12/19/17 07:38 PM Re: Emergency Chow [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Bing, per Wikipedia, traditional pemmican is 50/50 jerked meat (often bufalo) and animal fat, sometimes with dried berries added. The Tanka bar is dried buffalo meat (which I adore) and cranberries with some miscellaneous ingredients - no fat added, although 25 of its 70 calories are fat derived.

Epic makes a similar bar, but with added bacon fat. I don't think it is nearly as tasty.

Tanka bars were developed on the Pine Ridge Reservation, in South Dakota, where I have spent many memorable summers, so that is a plus for me. The name 'Tanka" is derived from the Lakota word for strong or powerful.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.