Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#289085 - 05/23/18 07:07 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: gonewiththewind]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Montanero
Thanks Hikermor.

To add to what I posted before, at the risk of droning on:

The water bottles I like for pocket carry or in small bags are the flask shaped ones. There are various sizes available, and I prefer the largest opening I can find to ease refilling. There is a bottled water company that I like (normal disclaimer) called FRED. They make flask shaped bottles specifically to make them easier to carry. If it is not convenient to carry, you will not carry it, and you will not have it when you need it. The FRED bottles can be carried in a pocket if necessary. I carry them often in a jacket pocket, and they fit well in a little Kelty sling pack I have.

A mouthwash bottle works well for this.

#289089 - 05/23/18 10:00 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: gonewiththewind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Layering of gear is a good approach. In my case the first layer could be referred to as “daily user” gear. (From page 1 of this thread)
Originally Posted By: Russ
Urban EDC - pocket carry:
Folding knife, folding scissors, 1xAA LED, wallet w/ cash, cards & ID, keys.
I always dress for the weather with options for when the weather turns. ...

A cellphone is also part of the mix. OT: Recently I was waffling regarding upgrading my smartphone and changing my plan. I ended up with the same smartphone plus a ruggedized flip-phone on a new line for not much more than my previous plan (plus the phone which I bought outright). Now I have a phone that I can EDC; the large, expensive and very dropable smartphone was prone to being left behind. The rubber-armored and waterproof flip-phone OTOH is easier to carry and more resilient to being dropped. Regardless, a cellphone is back in my EDC.

#289090 - 05/23/18 10:54 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: katarin]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: katarin
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: katarin
I have a question for you urban EDCers. How do you keep the weight down?

Many of us backpack and hike, so we are already weight conscious. In general, you value versatility as well as absolute weight - multi-use items win the day, particularly if you are considering items carried on your person.

Many EDC items hang out in a vehicle, and weight is not an issue.

I don't have a vehicle and either walk or use public transit.

I find that a smallish laptop bag is reasonably comfortable to schlep around. I get them from thrift shops for a few dollars. I may even toss in a beater laptop/tablet on occasion. Or (gasp) a book.

In the places I go, they blend in as a ubiquitous carry item.

In really rough places, I guess they might attract unwanted attention. If I leave it in my car (which I use as a high MPG truck), I cover it with an old jacket or some of the other inevitable flotsam so some twit doesn't break a $150 window hoping to score a macbook.

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/23/18 10:56 PM)

#289091 - 05/23/18 11:04 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
A mouthwash bottle works well for this.

Good idea. I have used plastic booze bottles on impromptu walks, but these send all the wrong messages. No sense attracting attention (or revulsion for that matter). Though mouthwash bottles may have the same stigma(?).

Either way, best to include a paper bag. laugh

#289093 - 05/24/18 12:32 AM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Yes, Doug, part of my EDC is usually a book also. I have been told that I can't be comfortable in a room that does not have a book in it. I go through a lot of books every year, so I am always carrying one or two. Hard copy mostly, though I do use a Kindle at times and listen to audio books as well. I can't survive without books.

#289097 - 05/24/18 03:01 AM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: gonewiththewind]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Montanero
Yes, Doug, part of my EDC is usually a book also. I have been told that I can't be comfortable in a room that does not have a book in it. I go through a lot of books every year, so I am always carrying one or two. Hard copy mostly, though I do use a Kindle at times and listen to audio books as well. I can't survive without books.

I agree, a book is always on me - typically in an electronic version on my Kindle or on the Kindle app on my phone. Nice to be able to carry a few hundred books or more without the weight burden of traditional books.

John Lubbock

#289102 - 05/24/18 09:09 AM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: hikermor]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
Originally Posted By: hikermor
For basics, I would recommend a Leatherman ps4, a small MT which I use regularly (the most of the many that I

Where I live not allowed to have those type of knives or tools. Even my Leatherman Micra would be considered a "weapon"

own). Pair that with a small AAA flashlight and carry those with your keys. A Bic lighter is handy to have.

The flashlight I already have.

You can add additional items to suit your circumstances to a belt pouch or small back pack.

#289196 - 06/05/18 12:25 AM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Because my urban route gets rural and wild pretty fast, I might include a tiny bug spray...

#290986 - 10/30/18 07:04 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...sunscreen and sunglasses.

#291233 - 11/30/18 10:32 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Adding a scarf ( its cold here!)

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 169 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.