Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#289006 - 05/17/18 10:56 AM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: katarin]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: katarin
I have a question for you urban EDCers. How do you keep the weight down?

I replaced my D-Cell MAG-LITE with a C-Cell MAG-LITE.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289008 - 05/17/18 12:52 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: katarin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

Many of us backpack and hike, so we are already weight conscious. In general, you value versatility as well as absolute weight - multi-use items win the day, particularly if you are considering items carried on your person.

Many EDC items hang out in a vehicle, and weight is not an issue.

#289011 - 05/17/18 02:18 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I replaced my D-cell Maglites first with a 2xAA LED flashlights and now a 1xAA or 1xAAA depending on expected need. The 1xAAA LED lights these days have a lot of output. For times when I need a lot of lumens to reach out, I have a couple LED lights which use 18650 Li-ion batteries, still way smaller and lighter than even a C-cell maglite.

My old Maglites have been retrofitted with LED emitters and rechargeable batteries. With LED emitters, D-cell alkaline batteries will time out and leak before they run down from use. Maglites will always be reliable blunt instruments and now the bulbs won’t fail due to impact damage.

#289013 - 05/17/18 07:09 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

I like the feel of a full-size MAG-LITE in my hand. Mom always made an issue of the weight and volume of the D-Cell MAG-LITE I always carry. I switched to C-Cell. It's lighter and smaller; it has the feel of a full-size flashlight. Also, I can still turn it off and on with my thumb on the button rather than twisting the head.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289014 - 05/17/18 07:14 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: katarin]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Not carry that much and choose small things.

Light is just a Nitecore tube, Knife is a mid size Swiss army knife, wallet is based on a card holder, keys are aranged in a order where it keep the small and neat, with a carabiner where i add keys i need that day.

#289029 - 05/18/18 08:30 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor

Many of us backpack and hike, so we are already weight conscious. In general, you value versatility as well as absolute weight - multi-use items win the day, particularly if you are considering items carried on your person.

Many EDC items hang out in a vehicle, and weight is not an issue.

Agree. You don't EDC everything for every possibility - Just some multi-use stuff.
Try and keep your bag under 3 kilos.

And you plan realistically - for your needs, experience and your area. Alaska requires different gear than San Diego...

Much of what you might need goes in the desk at work or in the truck... and you don't schlep it everyday.

And, let's be realistic here; four sharps is three too many.

#289030 - 05/18/18 08:41 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
...four sharps is a start... wink

#289039 - 05/19/18 09:18 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: TeacherRO]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I'm in agreement that your EDC has to fit your environment and situation.

Every day I've got my little Fenix EO5 on my key chain with a custom cuff key and 'p-38' on it and alongside is my SureFire P6 for flashlights. I also have my Gerber Applegate Combat Folding Knife and a 'generic' little three blade Stockman Pocket Knife. wallet and a small daytimer with some extra cash, cards documents info and ID. I also have Issued work ID, cell phone some pocket change and my money clip with spending cash - a 'space' bullet pen eyeglass wipe rag and a mini FAK (gloves, mask, batteries for SureFire) there is also a couple of hankies a couple of extra poo bags in case the fur ball is with but they can be re-purposed easily - a couple of other steel case ball point pens too. I carry when at the office an extra FAK with tourniquet, bandages, duct tape, more gloves etc. A side arm comes into play when it makes sense but I am often in un-permissive places so the firearm comes and goes and I can't consider it EDC.

There is also a whole additional level when I get to my car as well... 'go bag' with a bunch of gear and additional supplies too. Don't even get me started about the extra pounds that live in my coat when I have that on and it's usually at least in the car even in the summer (winter just gets a heaver version).

So, the point to this is to figure out if you need a C D AA or AAA size light and how it is to do more then just light stuff up. My little SureFire has a 'strike bezel' and I can do a whole lot with that and I am glad to replace my Mag-Light (went from D to C to SureFire) with the little P6. A lot of people won't or don't like my knife choices - hey, so be it... works for me.

We won't even start talking about going full blown with duty belt, rifle and all that crap - that ain't daily carry!

Paul -

#289041 - 05/19/18 09:27 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Sorry - I just realized I did't really respond to the weight question... I am sure it's in there somewhere in my prior rambling post but... to be sure: I replaced the flashlights in my EDC with the "best" (for me) smallest choices I could find. Going from (original Kel-Light) Mag-Light to the SureFire back in '89 was a good step. I got better performance (more light) in a much smaller and lighter package and learned how to 'weaponize' it if necessary (I've still got my original but have the latest version in my pocket).

Get a good, small, high-intensity light to use in place of the Mag-Light would be a good experiment to try. Maybe even go "cheep" with some bad knock off for a few bucks to see if it would make sense and if it does - get a really good min-light to count on.

Paul -

#289045 - 05/19/18 10:58 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: pforeman]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: pforeman
Get a good, small, high-intensity light to use in place of the Mag-Light would be a good experiment to try. Maybe even go "cheep" with some bad knock off for a few bucks to see if it would make sense and if it does - get a really good min-light to count on.

I explained why I went with a C-Cell instead of something smaller.

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I like the feel of a full-size MAG-LITE in my hand. Mom always made an issue of the weight and volume of the D-Cell MAG-LITE I always carry. I switched to C-Cell. It's lighter and smaller; it has the feel of a full-size flashlight. Also, I can still turn it off and on with my thumb on the button rather than twisting the head.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.