The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#290089 - 07/29/18 06:41 AM Re: wazoo belt alternative [Re: qwikjoeysmall]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
I didn't even look at the contents. For the UK, most US survival kits have a lot of stuff we can't use. There's nothing to burn on the hills, no fish to catch. Rarely bright enough to use a signal mirror...

And if I was in the US I'd always put Dougs kit in the belt anyway. He seems to know what he's doing.

Trouble with the zip belts is you have to take the belt off to get at anything but the first item.

Don't know where your 'cheap' comment is coming from. All the reviews I've read say their quality is high.

qjs

#290090 - 07/29/18 01:56 PM Re: wazoo belt alternative [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
I didn't even look at the contents. For the UK, most US survival kits have a lot of stuff we can't use. There's nothing to burn on the hills, no fish to catch. Rarely bright enough to use a signal mirror...

And if I was in the US I'd always put Dougs kit in the belt anyway. He seems to know what he's doing.

Trouble with the zip belts is you have to take the belt off to get at anything but the first item.

Don't know where your 'cheap' comment is coming from. All the reviews I've read say their quality is high.

qjs

With basic (="survival") gear, it is the contents that count, not the container. I think the best strategy is to assemble the items that will do you the most good in your environment, placing a premium on compactness, versatility, and utility. You might wind up with as much as a pound or two of stuff, which, frankly, is no big deal to carry. There are all kinds of options that will keep this stuff close at hand.

I used "cheap" in the sense of marginal, barely adequate or serviceable for the intended purpose. The assemblage proposed for the belt places a premium on small size, which doesn't always yield the proper tool for the job. Sometimes redundancy is a good idea. I always carry matches in a waterproof container, a Bic, and a ferro rod, plus some kind of tinder. I want to be sure I can have a fire, even though at times and places, building a fire would be totally inappropriate (like right now in SoCal). Some seasonal adjustment is probably a good idea.

The bulk of my experience relates to the arid American West, as is the gear I routinely tote. Put me in a tropical rain forest, and i would have many lessons to learn (probably the hard way). The operational environment must be understood.

The prices quoted are highway robbery. One can do twice as well, for half the cost, with just a dab of thoughtful consideration, and wind up with gear that actually functions well.

QJS, you can't fool me. I have been in Merrie England, and I have actually seen the sun shine (and in Scotland, as well). And your streams actually have running water, unlike ours....

#290092 - 07/29/18 04:43 PM Re: wazoo belt alternative [Re: qwikjoeysmall]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
As I said: I was only considering the belt.

> QJS, you can't fool me. I have been in Merrie England, and I
> have actually seen the sun shine (and in Scotland, as well).

You got me! The sun did shine. I think it was a Wednesday in 1982... :-).
No one would know what a signal mirror flash meant here anyway .

You'll be lucky to get a scot to admit the sun shines. They live in their fantastically beautiful country and just moan about the weather. I've never met ONE who said how lovely their country was. And I've worked there for a year.

qjs

#290093 - 07/29/18 07:47 PM Re: wazoo belt alternative [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Scotland is fabuous! Wonderful rugged climbing country with lots of coastline just begging for a kayak, ice climbing in season, and just plain gorgeous. A bit more chilly than SoCal, probbly

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.