Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#280027 - 03/20/16 10:51 PM What did you do today to prepare?
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
We drank a couple bottles of wine this weekend, so I washed the glass bottles and filled them with tap water. Ditto the 2L pop/soda bottle from this week. We also added a few cans of food to the pantry, along with some KD, a couple of bricks of batteries, and a bag of 20 pairs of socks. Put a nice side of pork in the deep freeze too. Chopped it in half to make two smaller, but still sizeable, roasts.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#280044 - 03/21/16 03:30 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
today was battery day... I was showing a friend a weapons light the other day, and discovered a dead cr123 battery... embarrassing...so much for the advertised long battery life... ordered a 12 pack, and they came in... checked the voltage on the other lights containing primary cr123s, which were all good to go....checked the charge on my lone 18650 light, and was still good after 3 months....I've got a couple of months before the beginning of hurricane season... then will go through the stored water ... need to find a one pot replacement for Dinty Moore Stew as my local Sam's doesn't carry it any longer

#280048 - 03/21/16 05:55 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
today was battery day... I was showing a friend a weapons light the other day, and discovered a dead cr123 battery... embarrassing...so much for the advertised long battery life... ordered a 12 pack, and they came in... checked the voltage on the other lights containing primary cr123s, which were all good to go....checked the charge on my lone 18650 light, and was still good after 3 months....I've got a couple of months before the beginning of hurricane season... then will go through the stored water ... need to find a one pot replacement for Dinty Moore Stew as my local Sam's doesn't carry it any longer

Batteries are so easily overlooked. Good call on checking them all.

I haven't seen Dinty Moore Stew around here. I Googled and it looks like Campbells Chunky?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#280054 - 03/21/16 09:52 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ordered new sharps, checking batteries ( thanks), new pack, working on fitness
(daily steps on the fitbit program). New smaller edc pack

#280056 - 03/21/16 10:06 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Physical fitness should be high on everyone's prep To-Do list. Having "stuff" in a BOB or GHB is great, but if you can't carry the bag or walk the distance, you need to refocus your preps.

Just my opinion.

#280061 - 03/22/16 12:45 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Russ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
As prep, I stocked up on more .22LR ammo. Finally found some good quality stuff in stock online at a reasonable price with reasonable shipping charges. For those that need some, the Aguila Super Extra linked below I rate as equivalent to CCI MiniMags in both accuracy and reliability. I've have exceptionally good luck with it.

http://www.ammofast.com/collections/22lr...me-500-rd-brick

$39.99 per brick of 500. Shipping is only $9.99 for up to six bricks. More than that, and shipping rises to $19.99.

#280077 - 03/23/16 07:56 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Today I am practicing patience.

Last night a heavy wet spring snowstorm arrived after a lovely 70F day.

My drive to work was one of the top 3 worst I've had in 12 years of commuting 50 miles each way. Snow wasn't plowed yet and the snow was deep slush plus it was snowing very, very hard so headlights just shone on a mass of white flakes instead of the road (dark).

I'm safe at work where about 25% of the population made it.
There seems to be 2 feet of snow on the patio tables outside so far.

I'm watching the storm on weather radar. It appears to be abating from north to south but will take awhile to abate here.

My reflexes want me to pack up and get out and run home (north). My mind says that waiting for the storm to abate will let the snowplows catch up and clear the roads better.

We still have lights and heat here at work. Internet and intranet is intermittent. And I have a stash of instant oatmeal to eat if needed.

Patience. Leave when the timing is better. Don't hurry out into the madness..........

#280079 - 03/23/16 08:03 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: unimogbert]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Patience. Leave when the timing is better. Don't hurry out into the madness..........

When I had an office far away, I kept clean and warm clothes, food, water and other supplies locked in a desk drawer. Glad to say that I never had to spend the night there. You might be smart to consider it though.

#280080 - 03/23/16 08:19 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: chaosmagnet]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

When I had an office far away, I kept clean and warm clothes, food, water and other supplies locked in a desk drawer. Glad to say that I never had to spend the night there. You might be smart to consider it though.

Have sleeping bag out in the car and have water and food inside. Could do it. But even better my officemate lives only a mile away and could put me up if I asked.

Will see how things develop. I'm sure my wife would prefer I come home to run the snow blower and shovel the walks......

#280081 - 03/23/16 10:39 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: unimogbert]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Last night a heavy wet spring snowstorm arrived after a lovely 70F day.

I'm in your same snow storm. I'm halfway between Denver and Boulder. Luckily I work from home, so no issues. But the wife took off for a meeting at her work (not the best plan IMHO). She made it, but got the truck high centered on a drift on unplowed suburban streets. She dug out (using the super heavy duty windshield snow brush!) and made it to work and back home.

So, for the "What did you do today to prepare?" question, I will point out to her that it would have been easier had she used the shovel that I keep stored back in the bed of the truck. But before that, I should go make sure it's still there. My wife has a bad habit of "clearing out my stuff" from the bed of the truck to make room for all the miscellaneous junk she likes to haul around. "My stuff" is there for a reason, sigh, I guess I just need to convince her what for.

Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.