Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#287291 - 12/08/17 08:47 PM Re: How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps) [Re: Comanche7]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One comment about "fixing the roof" - the weekend before, I spent time cleaning up dead brush and grass around the premises. I knew that high winds were forecast, and I realized that the adjacent hills had not burned since November, 2008, meaning that we were due for another episode.

So a lot of duff was corralled, but not all. Returning home yesterday, I realized there was a line of dead, dry leaves on the sidewalk next to the house - a perfect fuse to ignite the dwelling. Luckily there were no flaming embers....

Note to self: If you start a job, finish the #$&& thing...

#287293 - 12/08/17 09:28 PM Re: How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps) [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, steel roof here but we seem to forget that fires start small and we sometimes choose to ignore the leaves from the neighbor’s tree. I may have a bit of clean-up to do this afternoon.

#287296 - 12/09/17 05:01 AM Re: How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps) [Re: hikermor]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Hikermor: Glad to hear tha you and your home escaped unscathed. I’m interested to know what you & your wife did take with you? Both loose things, packed in the 45min. grace period you described, as well as prepackaged bags? Did you work from a checklist? If so, will you please share it with us? Real life experiences seems much more reliable than armchair commandos’ lists.

#287300 - 12/09/17 04:47 PM Re: How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps) [Re: acropolis5]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Gladly. The most important element was that our vehicles were essentially preloaded. We had done this independently, but we both had a sleeping bag, first aid gear, water and snacks permanently stashed in our respective vehicles. Mrs. Hikermor also kept a pair of walking shoes. These days I never wear any other kind. I also had small shovels, a couple of saws, jumper cables, hand tools, maps, spare flashlights, and a fully accessorized Leatherman Wave in my vehicle. We would have been just fine if we had left instantly, with only those items. They weight less than fifty pounds and occupy maybe three cubic feet. My gas tank was slightly more than half full, with 200 miles range, which was more than we needed.

At one point we had a written check list (when our daughter was very young) but that has lapsed. We had a pretty good idea of priorities - people, pets, papers (insurance et al), pictures (typically unique family stuff). Add to that personal laptop computers and accessories and that was our unwritten check list.

Susan had corralled the significant papers before hand in a couple of file boxes. She got those in her car, along with our elderly cat in her cage (also cat food). I threw in some extra food, snack bars and canned food (Dinty Moore beef stew = MRE), my preloaded money belt with $20 bills, more water, my CERT bag which had a hard hat, more tools and other 24 hour necessities. I also added my solar panels and accessories (prepacked in an ammo can) plus more flashlights and my Zebralight headlamp usually used for bedtime reading. Since our power was out, I had been using it to get around the house, looking for stuff, along with the small AAA light on my EDC key ring. I also threw in my stock of rechargeable batteries, and two Goal Zero mini lanterns. Also a duffel bag of clothing. At the last minute, I threw in my S&W Mod 27 with accessories (also prepackaged in an ammo can) more for sentimental reasons than any fear of coming hostilities (but then you never quite know). A good many of my knives, some also more sentimental than anything else, made the cut.

With an increasingly ominous red glow upwind, we left. With the grid down and traffic lights not working, the five miles we drove was the most hazardous undertaking of the evening. I was very glad I am in the habit of baking into my usual parking space, facing the street - not a good time to be backing into traffic.

After the first night spent snoozing in our cars in the harbor, we were able to return to the house, whereupon we retrieved more heirloom items, mostly family photos, and other odds and ends, but that was just gravy.

I am glad our vehicles were preloaded. We could have walked out the door, driven away, and been just fine. We could have survived if we had only retrieved the backpacks from the cars, and walked away with those - just not as much fun.

We should have loaded more heirloom items the first time around. Other than that, I think we did pretty well - we were clearly stressed and not functioning at our best which is why preloading and modular packaging are important. Susan and I worked well together, and overall, this experience strengthens our relationship - Yea!!!

Edited by hikermor (12/09/17 04:51 PM)

#287308 - 12/11/17 04:20 PM Re: How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps) [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Looks like we dodged another bullet. The only fire nearby is 80% contained and hasn’t grown in acreage since it was 0% contained. There was an initial report of a fire east of here but it didn’t make the Cal Fire website. Apparently the local FD had a handle on it very early and killed it before it could go anywhere. With the high fire danger and winds the FD had all hands on deck. I don’t even want to think about the overtime that will be paid out, but totally worth it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.