The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#287190 - 11/25/17 05:14 AM Dog walker survived days in BC with three dogs
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
Dog walker Annette Poitras spent more than two days lost in the backcountry of Eagle Mountain in Coquitlam with three dogs
1 cuddled close, 1 was on guard and 1 looked for food: how 3 dogs helped Annette Poitras survive
Quote:
...” “She happened to notice one of the dogs was digging a hole to sleep in,” explained Marcel. “[The undergrowth], it’s very spongy, it soaks up a lot of water. So she started sweeping away all the brush and everything to get down into the dirt and kind of made herself a little well to sleep in. She learned from the dogs.” “...

#287191 - 11/25/17 08:07 AM Re: Dog walker survived days in BC with three dogs [Re: Russ]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Strange, not a single word about how she became lost. That is what I would like to know about, not what the dogs did.

#287192 - 11/25/17 11:25 AM Re: Dog walker survived days in BC with three dogs [Re: Herman30]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Reading the report, suggests to me that the lady may have been on a familiar dog walking route and not have been truly lost, It seems possible that she knew her location but could not proceed due to injury received as a result of a fall.

So "lost" in the sense that family and rescuers knew not her location.
But "lost" in the sense that victim did not know where she was, perhaps not.

Telephoning for help would the obvious reaction to such circumstances, but unfortunately her cellphone was lost in the fall.

It seem to me that a couple of red hand flares might have been a relatively cheap precaution. The injured lady was unable to attract the attention of rescuers in a helicopter, a red flare would almost certainly have been seen, as would an orange smoke signal.

#287193 - 11/25/17 01:11 PM Re: Dog walker survived days in BC with three dogs [Re: adam2]
Russ Offline
Geezer

That’s the way I read it too. She knew where she was but no one else knew. Eagle Mountain is north of Coquitlam, BC and it looks to be heavy forest, so possibly logging roads cut into hillsides, maybe. The best view is at the edge and down you go. You’re not very far from civilization, but if immobile and without a signaling device of some kind, you are lost to the world. (Speculation, but it fits the narrative)

#287194 - 11/25/17 01:28 PM Re: Dog walker survived days in BC with three dogs [Re: Russ]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada

#287195 - 11/25/17 02:38 PM Re: Dog walker survived days in BC with three dogs [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Fascinating story in the details. As a once-upon-a-time avid SAR volunteer, I am struck by the technology brought to bear in an intensive search these days - heat imaging, cell tower pings, etc.

But it still comes down to the fundamentals - willing boots on the ground and lots of hard work, including background investigation.

The suggestion about road flares is pertinent. Not only a signaling device, they make pretty good fire starters, even in wet conditions. Fires tend to draw the attention of search teams. Always be able to start a fire - signal,warmth, and possibly even a warm cup of coffee...

#287196 - 11/25/17 02:53 PM Re: Dog walker survived days in BC with three dogs [Re: Russ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Once upon a time, I lived up on Coquitlam Plateau and not far from Eagle and Burke Mountains, so I know that area very well. Lots of speculation and guessing as to how/why etc but the best resource is this AAR from Coquitlam SAR. This was a big search and involved the collective best of the best SAR teams drawn from a very big area.

At 8pm on Monday November 20th Coquitlam SAR was activated by Coquitlam RCMP for missing 56 year old dog walker Annette Poitras on Westwood Plateau in Coquitlam. This search, which began as so many searches we handle, ended three days later with the successful rescue of Annette and the three dogs.

What follows is a short summary of the search and our thanks to all of the people who contributed to the successful outcome.

Edit: Looks like the website is crashing due to overload. I'll see if I can find a cached copy.

Cached copy of the website and report.

John Lubbock

#287197 - 11/25/17 02:57 PM Re: Dog walker survived days in BC with three dogs [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Thanks, those two articles show why the 10 Essentials should include both visual and audible signaling gear. Visual signaling under a canopy in heavy rain should include the road flares mentioned because of their heat signature — not LED road flares, the old ones that put out a lot of heat. Starting a fire in a basin during a pineapple express would still be a challenge. The “sound sweeping” referenced shows why a good whistle should be included with any Essentials kit.

Here in SOCAL I’d still go with LED road flare, but we have a higher fire danger here. In a basin during a heavy downpour, starting an accidental wildfire would be highly unlikely.

#287198 - 11/25/17 05:21 PM Re: Dog walker survived days in BC with three dogs [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I regard the ability to make fire critical, especially in heavy weather. But circumstances change - there are several instances of major forest fires started as distress signals, etc., and there are times and places where a fire is definitely not warranted. It is very unlikely that I would ever light even a campfire on any of the Channel Islands (SOCAL).That is a place where a signal mirror really shines (!).

When the forecast is for heavy weather, skip the bush craft routine and carry some sort of petroleum/alcohol fueled stove. they are well worth the additional weight and can easily be life saving. I've got the war stories to make that point....

Edited by hikermor (11/25/17 05:56 PM)

#287199 - 11/25/17 06:06 PM Re: Dog walker survived days in BC with three dogs [Re: Russ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Not too many people carry road flares around here and with the extreme torrential rain we have had for the past weeks, it is doubtful that I could even start a fire, let alone an inexperienced person.

However, having a whistle is always a good idea - but around here, people don't think that veering off of established rails within sight of city skylines is a requirement for a whistle, let alone any other essentials.

This area is blessed - and cursed for it's environment that allows a person to be in the wild in a very short time and enjoying nature, but one can easily run into trouble in seconds.

This image is of the Vancouver area and as you can see, the mountains and potential dangers are on our door step. The area where the person was found is probably less then 8 or so miles off to the right of this image and I now live about about 45 minutes driving time to the SSE from there.

John Lubbock

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.