The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#287182 - 11/24/17 10:25 AM Thanksgiving preparedness - no save too small
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Which of your preps saved the day on Thanksgiving? I had three.

• My EDC knife allowed a friend to slice limes for some cocktails he was making
  • Knowledge of the local area made it quick and easy to swap a propane tank so that the turkeys could be cooked, and also to find a friend’s specific allergy medicine, from stores that were open on Thanksgiving Day
  • The little sewing kit kept in the car emergency kit allowed one of the groomsmen for the Black Friday wedding we’re attending to hem his pants

How’d you do?

#287183 - 11/24/17 02:10 PM Re: Thanksgiving preparedness - no save too small [Re: chaosmagnet]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
big family get together is tomorrow, a fish fry (hey, it's Florida)... I'm sure I'll need something... most likely the multi tool... best wishes to all for the upcoming holiday season.. may your deployed loved ones be safely home soon...

#287184 - 11/24/17 02:29 PM Re: Thanksgiving preparedness - no save too small [Re: chaosmagnet]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
went to friends and my keychain kit saved the day over and over:

- used tiny leatherman P4 to repair burner on kitchen range

- used mini redi-edge knife sharpener on super-dull turkey carving knife

- used teeny spyderco manbug folder to open tough plastic clam-shell packaging

- used micro titanium bottle-cap opener to be able to share some beers ("What? You really don't own a bottle opener?")

EDC saved the day!!!

#287186 - 11/24/17 09:55 PM Re: Thanksgiving preparedness - no save too small [Re: wileycoyote]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
EDC saved the day!!!

Outstanding.

#287187 - 11/24/17 10:29 PM Re: Thanksgiving preparedness - no save too small [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Alas, I was home where I used a real sharpening steel to straighten the edge on my carving knife. I didn’t need my Leatherman, folding scissors, LED flashlight or even my Benchmade 940. Didn’t even need a band-aid from my FAK. It was all here and ready to roll, just didn’t need any of it -- really bummed wink
cool

#287188 - 11/25/17 02:18 AM Re: Thanksgiving preparedness - no save too small [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
We needed a band aid for a bleeding finger. Mrs. Hikermor cut herself on a sharp plastic pie cover. Our daughter's boyfriend beat me to the scene and administered first aid.

#287189 - 11/25/17 04:07 AM Re: Thanksgiving preparedness - no save too small [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Nothing wrong with having things working in harmony at home.

At some point, I would be quite pleased if one of my kids’ SOs would beat me to a first aid event.

I have one to add — youngest daughter cut herself shaving near her ankle and needed a BZK wipe.

#287206 - 11/27/17 04:50 PM Re: Thanksgiving preparedness - no save too small [Re: chaosmagnet]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
We had Thanksgiving in a rented cabin near the kids.

When its dark out my PT EOS headlamp is the best when holding a dog leash with one hand and picking up his poop with the other (using plastic sandwich bags). It also helped just walking them in the pitch blackness.

The headlamp also helped identify the source of the giant splashing noise at the lake's edge (sounded just like a person jumping into water). It turned out to be an angry beaver just off-shore.

The little ARC AAA LED light on my key chain made it possible to look inside the beautiful 3-horse slant trailer someone was showing us.

As usual, my Ritter Mk1 mini folding knife was used for all sorts of cutting - opening boxes, DVD wrappers, iced tea bottle plastic rings (before recycling), ...

#287207 - 11/27/17 05:17 PM Re: Thanksgiving preparedness - no save too small [Re: KenK]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Turned on the oven the evening before Thanksgiving, and Pfffzzzttt!!! Flames shot out of the electric heating element. Burned out. Leaving us with only one oven.

But luckily we had a backup. The Traeger grill on the back deck. We were already planning on cooking the turkey in that, but we ended up also cooking the potatoes, green bean casserole and dinner rolls out there too. The remaining working oven inside got to do the pumpkin pies.

After that day, I stopped kidding the wife about buying the giant Traeger model for only the two of us at home. That mondo grill took a 20lb turkey and all that other stuff with room to spare!

#287222 - 11/29/17 02:43 AM Re: Thanksgiving preparedness - no save too small [Re: chaosmagnet]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hah, a couple years ago we made a pizza a couple days before thanksgiving and the over wouldn't turn off. I figured it was probably a simple fix but had already promised that if that one ever needed replaced she could have a double so we upgraded it anyway. I clipped the wires to the heating element just in case someone plugged in wherever they take them.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.