Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#287136 - 11/18/17 11:41 PM slaughterbots
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Don't know if you have seen this yet. Not sure what the defense against something like this would be.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CO6M2HsoIA&t=[/video]

#287137 - 11/19/17 01:51 AM Re: slaughterbots [Re: clearwater]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
It depends on number of drones and number of targets and do the targets know they are targets. If they're near equal and know about the drones, a 12ga loaded with #6 shot or a weighted net depending on the situation. Otherwise, you would need to interfere with its targeting. Something like a bandana,shemagh, or deep hoodie to hide the face before it can lock on target.

#287139 - 11/19/17 10:40 AM Re: slaughterbots [Re: clearwater]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
First line of defense would be interfering with the target locating. Shield RFID devices (bank cards, RFID access cards, personal id cards), be careful with cell phones (shield or turn off), do not publish schedules, work against the increasing surveillance and facial recognition applications.
The target aquisition may well go beyond just visual. NFC devices are only NFC with devices that are to spec. Stronger transmitters, better receivers and a better antenna may increase communication range enough for useful aquisition.
On a tactical level it may come down to interfering with target identification and aquisition (e. g.: get rid of RFID devices and cell phones, conceal the head shape and the face, use an aerosol that clogs the camera).

#287142 - 11/20/17 10:30 AM Re: slaughterbots [Re: clearwater]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Pretty ugly bit of tech. Tactics: you're probably dealing with a swarm attack. A hive AI that will be willing to sacrifice any number of swarm members to ensure a handful actually reach their target. Like that story about bullet ants overruning a plantation.

Options:
Counterdrones. Intercepter drone swarm. Really only feasible in high value targets likeb the capital building because of the cost.
Smokescreen. They can't see you, they can't hit you. Special smokes developed for tank warfare blocks IR as well as visible light. Chafe addition will block any radar. Good if you've got a couple seconds warning.
EMP. I don't remember where I saw the article, but it was about 15 years ago. Capacitor bank and a coil of wire over a high speed explosive core. When the charged coil blows apart, the field spikes. Depending on how well the drones are shielded, the pulse wreaks havoc with comma or fries the electronics.
There's the passive reduction in radio signals (cell, blutooth, RFID) that will make it harder to paint you as a target. I don't know enough about facial recognition software to know how to spoof it.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#287159 - 11/21/17 02:48 AM Re: slaughterbots [Re: clearwater]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

If somebody comes after you with one of these slaughterbots (currently still sci-fi, I believe), I'm guessing you are a high value target instead of... me. laugh If seems like we'll need counter-intelligence even just to know that we're a target, so we can deploy counter measures. By the time you see it coming, it's too late. So I'm willing to say don't worry about it.

Here's some more realistic threats. Home cleaning robots that have been modified in secret to provide, um, pleasure services. According to Ghost in the Shell 2, they can go berserk and kill their owners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BKayvrTUe0

Or if you don't invite the Professional Russian to dinner, one of these quadrotors with a machine gun will come after you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

#287160 - 11/21/17 03:45 AM Re: slaughterbots [Re: clearwater]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
On board AI on a microdrone is still sci-fi, AFAIK. Optical target tracking from a remote controller and a pennyweight shaped charge on a boom isn't going to be a challenge. All that's missing is a human to designate the target and pop goes the target.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#287162 - 11/21/17 05:09 PM Re: slaughterbots [Re: clearwater]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Last fall I had a drone hover around me while leading a rock climb and then later belaying my son. I resisted the urge to flip it off, but thinking back that may have been the way to let the owner know I didn't like being distracted while engaged in an activity needing my full attention.

I also wondered what the range of this might be for drones
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/...ounds?a=1944284

#287164 - 11/21/17 05:23 PM Re: slaughterbots [Re: clearwater]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: clearwater

I also wondered what the range of this might be for drones
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/...ounds?a=1944284

Depending on the size of the drone 5 yards might be pushing the limit. It did some pattern tests with the .44 Magnum version from a revolver. At 5 yards there where holes in the pattern that would have allowed smaller drones to stay unharmed.

#287165 - 11/21/17 06:09 PM Re: slaughterbots [Re: clearwater]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado

#287167 - 11/22/17 11:23 AM Re: slaughterbots [Re: haertig]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland

Edited by Herman30 (11/22/17 11:27 AM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.