Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#287124 - 11/18/17 01:46 AM Re: how do you integrate daily carry with your GHB? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
[*]Bail-out-bag: A small, firearm-centric bag for moving on foot up to 24 hours, kept in my car. The idea is if I need to leave my car RIGHT NOW to get to safety.

I'm curious about this bag. How is it "firearm-centric"? If I had to be on foot for 24 hours, I wouldn't want unnecessary weight. To me that means at most a handgun with a few magazines -- and that means a handgun you can afford to lose at checkpoints, rather than your $4,000 competition gun. So it's not much different from day to day CC.

I thought about the OP's question, and it seems to me that a lot will depend on the particular situation you are anticipating. I like the general tips from hikermor and chaos, but some people don't even need a GHB at all. Maybe if we have a better idea of the scenarios you have in mind...

#287125 - 11/18/17 02:29 AM Re: how do you integrate daily carry with your GHB? [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I'm curious about this bag. How is it "firearm-centric"? If I had to be on foot for 24 hours, I wouldn't want unnecessary weight.

Can't speak for chaosmagnet, but for me, you would have to define what "unnecessary weight" is for the situation that you're imagining you might end up in. In some situations a rifle might be considered unnecessary (localized tornado), but in others (large scale riots and civil unrest) I'd certainly appreciate having access to that heavier rifle and several large, loaded mags. Other times, a lower power rifle but better-than-a-handgun carbine might be what you want (e.g. Keltec Sub2k (folding), M1 carbine)

Also, some might be comfortable with a 6-shot .380 in their pocket for their normal daily routine, but feel better with a larger and higher capacity full-size handgun (and spare mags) in their car bag. IMHO, that handgun in your bag in the car will be next to useless much of the time. Additionally, it should be secured to prevent unauthorized access. IMHO, one needs to be carried on you (impossible to do this legally in some jurisdictions though). That limits size and weight, but gives you options to defend while making a run to your car for escape. Or if it's really bad, to access your larger gun(s) that are secured/stored in your car.

#287126 - 11/18/17 02:50 AM Re: how do you integrate daily carry with your GHB? [Re: Robert_McCall]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
“Firearm-centric” to me means that the bag has specific features for concealed carry, and that there’s a duty-sized pistol in it. My threat model is where I’m bailing out of the car and fleeing on foot from some form of civil disorder. If I never do that, great.

In addition to the pistol and ammo are things that I think I will find helpful in that sort of situation, including cash, water, food, rain gear, Heatsheets blanket, knife, flashlight, a Doug Ritter PSP, communications (phone charger, charging cable, ham radio transceiver, antennas), sun protection, trauma gear, regular first aid kit, multitool, and a few other things.

Unfortunately I frequent several dangerous cities. I’ve had to draw my legally-carried pistol three times in as many years. I’m happy to report that I have in each case deterred my assailants without needing to shoot. After two of these events I decided I needed a kit that would help me get away if my car got boxed in again. My hope is that I never need it.

#287128 - 11/18/17 04:09 AM Re: how do you integrate daily carry with your GHB? [Re: Bingley]
Robert_McCall Offline
Stranger

Good stuff everyone, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: Bingley
...a lot will depend on the particular situation you are anticipating... Maybe if we have a better idea of the scenarios you have in mind...

Good point. ChaosMagnet voiced what I had in mind:

... My threat model is where I’m bailing out of the car and fleeing on foot from some form of civil disorder.

In addition to the pistol and ammo are things that I think I will find helpful in that sort of situation, including cash, water, food, rain gear, Heatsheets blanket, knife, flashlight, a Doug Ritter PSP, communications (phone charger, charging cable, ham radio transceiver, antennas), sun protection, trauma gear, regular first aid kit, multitool, and a few other things.

This is essentially the loadout of my GHB.

Over the last couple months I have taken up rucking as a form of exercise and I've turned it into 'life training'. I carry my GHB with water bottles added for more weight, now at 25 lbs. I have a 10 mile route with little traffic and lots of hills. I'm really liking it. I do the 10 mile walk once per week and do shorter 3-5 mile walks two or three times a week.

I'm thinking of doing a mega walk once per month, maybe 15+ miles. That takes a chunk of time though.

I have learned that once the pack gets to around 23 pounds, I need a pack with a frame and some weight transfer to the hips. I think a reasonably lightweight internal frame pack would be good, to which I can dock a very light, small daypack. The Osprey Daylite or Daylite Plus are good contenders.

#287130 - 11/18/17 07:31 AM Re: how do you integrate daily carry with your GHB? [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Unfortunately I frequent several dangerous cities. I’ve had to draw my legally-carried pistol three times in as many years.

Lordy! Remind me not to go where you go. I'm thinking I'd want more than a spare pistol in your case. A .338, an MP5, a few grenades, maybe a couple of pounds of C4...

#287132 - 11/18/17 10:19 AM Re: how do you integrate daily carry with your GHB? [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: haertig
Lordy! Remind me not to go where you go.

There’s a reason I call myself chaosmagnet.

Approaching this issue seriously for a moment, I train rigorously with pistols and rifles (not so much with shotguns at present). I haven’t quite come to the point that I’m ready to put a compact AR-15 in my car — my optimism is that any target that needs a rifle is something I can run away from rather than confront. To be clear I will ALWAYS run rather than fight when that’s a viable option.

#287133 - 11/18/17 12:01 PM Re: how do you integrate daily carry with your GHB? [Re: Robert_McCall]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
in case anyone is contemplating a compact rifle for your vehicle... a 7" AR 5.56 "pistol" with a LAW folding stock adapter will give you about a 25" OAL length with a standard flash hider, pistol buffer tube folded, which can be deployed very quickly... with 69SMK handloads, mine produced 2" groups at 100yd

#287134 - 11/18/17 04:01 PM Re: how do you integrate daily carry with your GHB? [Re: Robert_McCall]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"Over the last couple months I have taken up rucking as a form of exercise and I've turned it into 'life training'. "

Excellent decision on your part. If you get tired of the same course, try out different types of terrain and surfaces. Practice makes perfect.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.