Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#28708 - 07/02/04 04:47 AM Re: First Aid Kit: Packing and Stuff?
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
Pete--

Good point about the relative age of the person.

Matt--

Yep, you're right about easy to lose. I "lost" a Spyderco Delica by loaning it to a paramedic friend, who really did lose it on a call.

I have a pair of EMT shears in the back of my truck right now that I literally picked up in the driveway of a McDonald's. Good thing is, they have the owner's name on them. Bad thing is, I don't know which of several rural ambulance services/rescue units/volunteer fire units he/she belongs to, & haven't had time to find out. Will be glad to return them as soon as I can do so.

You're also right about the "coolness" factor. The BM hook is sharp (pun intended).

David

#28709 - 07/02/04 12:04 PM Re: First Aid Kit: Packing and Stuff?
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Metal Cigar Tube will work as well.

Matt

#28710 - 07/02/04 12:35 PM Re: First Aid Kit: Packing and Stuff?
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Wouldn't you know, I ended up in a cigar shop yesterday. Bought a Helix cigar in its metal tube (looked about right). It fits the epi pen perfectly in diameter (without the plastic) and has enough room for some foam in the ends as cushion. It also still fits in my spec-op case as well. While it has a cork seal on it, I think I will put a wrap or two of teflon tape on the threads.

By the way, anyone want a cigar, I don't smoke.

#28711 - 07/02/04 12:56 PM Re: First Aid Kit: Packing and Stuff?
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Matt,
You asked the original poster, Why benydryl and Sudafed?

I know that I also carry both - I have border line HBP, and I'm NOT allowed to take Sudafed (or any Pseudoephedrine HCL), but my wife and I both found it worked better, so I keep it for her. I _AM_ allowed to take Benydryl, so I carry that for ME

As for bandages RE taking more than a couple of 4x4 pads - Only ONCE have I needed more than that, and ever since then, I tend to keep at least one serious bandage around - Nowadays, it's usually a Cederoth Bloodstopper. I pray that I never have to use any ot them (car kit, backpack, home), ditto the trauma pads that I got for free that I keep at work. When it get to the point I have to use one of those, it's just me hoping I can stop the guy from bleeding out before the pros get there (The one time I needed it, we ended up using a clean rag - it was a serious MVA, and the guy had a cut about 1/2 way to bone on his calf. Not a pretty sight) (shudder 25 years later at the thought)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#28712 - 07/02/04 01:32 PM Re: First Aid Kit: Packing and Stuff?
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Yeah if it's for your wife and you than carring two types of meds is justified. I was just thinking that if you only use meds yourself I would caryr the one that works better.

You are right about 4by4s... Problem is the space. If you are makign a portable kit than there is not much you can fit in there. On the other hand if youa re packing your bigger kits (like car kit) sky is the limit as far as the amount of 4by4s you can take.

But you also brought up a perefect example of what i was talking about few replies above:

You got a call to an MVA with a nasty cut. What would you do first as a bystander:
is it airway managment?
is it cspine precautions?
is it calf wound that poses no threat?
would you tell the guy to get out of the car so you can take care of his leg?
would you be brave enough to apply TQ?
will you use quickclot and [censored] of ER staff?

A lot of times short of serious bleeds that put people into shock bleeding is not that big of a priority. Yeah you want to stop it eventualy but c spine and air way is your priority.

Matt

#28713 - 07/02/04 05:28 PM Re: First Aid Kit: Packing and Stuff?
dave750gixer Offline
journeyman

Loc: UK
My first aid kit also gets used on my pets (far more than on humans) and once on someone else's dog which had been in a MVA. Worst injury was a metal fence post entering hind leg just above the "knee" and exiting at the hip on a working dog. Fortunately my partner was a vet nurse. Problem being I cant just phone for an ambulance for a dog the way I would for my son so I have to be able to treat much more serious wounds than I would like and stabilise wounds for far longer. Having had to use most of my clothing as dressings and run for 4 miles carrying a large mut with improvised dressings I carry a FAK adjusted for pets. Something to think about if you have pets. So pissing off ER may not always be a problem.

#28714 - 07/03/04 04:20 AM Re: First Aid Kit: Packing and Stuff?
DBAGuy Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Man, I thought I was the only one doing this.

I have a setup exactly like rbruce's. Works perfectly.

#28715 - 07/03/04 06:23 PM Re: First Aid Kit: Packing and Stuff?
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
John, in looking at your FAK photo’s, I see you have a lot of bulky packaging. Work to eliminate bulky packaging. I use unitized FAK items from North safety to facilitate this goal. Available through industrial FAK suppliers normally found in the yellow pages.

1 Small Scissors These scissors are ok, but consider a pair of bandage scissors.

1 .5 oz bottle Betadine. Consider Betadine pads as it takes 50 drops to 500 mL of water for irrigation of wounds.

Consider putting all Meds in a small set of vials (red topped tube in photo by knife blades) like Doug uses.
2 Excedrin 2-tablet pack
2 Tylenol 2 tablet pack
2 tablet Sudafed
2 tablet Benadryl Allergy
2 tablet Claritin
3 Sucrets tablets

1 sm. roll Tums. Use the individual dose packages. Available through the industrial FAK suppliers as mentioned above.

1 roll waterproof tape. Why so much in this type package? I wound 1 meter around a paper clip and I then put a heavy-duty sewing needle down one side of the paper clip.

1 10ml syringe This is a good idea, but in the case of the size of your container, use a 1 qt. Ziplock bag. Poke a hole in one corner if needed for wound irrigation. Also gives you an extra water storage container.

1 .5 oz bottle Hypo Tears. A small individual dose like minidrops works ideally in tight spaces.

1 roll cotton gauze in plastic. This is also ok. Vacuum package the roll if you can to reduce bulk.

1 digital thermometer. Good if you can squeeze this in. Otherwise don’t bother.

1 pair latex exam gloves. 1 pair will fit into a 35mm film canister if nothing else works. The canister will fit the 1040 box.

3 packs 3"x4" triple layer non-stick pads. Using a unitized 4” bandage compress dressing in place gives you a package about 4” L x 2” W x ¼” D

Everything below sounds good to me! If you have the room and want it, add it.
1 razor blade
2 .9g Neosporin Pack
4 large bandaids
4 butterfly closures
2 small, round bandaids
4 small bandaids
2 sterile packs, Steri-Strips (R1546)
1 small pair pointed tweezers
1 pack 2nd Skin burn pad

If you reduce the bulk, then everything should fit.

Goodluck,

Stargazer

"If we believe in absurdities, we shall commit atrocities - Voltaire"

#28716 - 07/04/04 08:48 AM Re: First Aid Kit: Packing and Stuff?
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
1 Small Scissors These scissors are ok, but consider a pair of bandage scissors.

As far as I can tell most of these are larger than the ones I have in the kit.

Quote:
1 .5 oz bottle Betadine. Consider Betadine pads as it takes 50 drops to 500 mL of water for irrigation of wounds.

I'm going to start a seperate topic about this.

Quote:
Consider putting all Meds in a small set of vials (red topped tube in photo by knife blades) like Doug uses.

Hmm. It seems like if you put them in their own vials they would take up too much space and if you put them all in one you have a problem keeping them straight.

Quote:
1 roll waterproof tape. Why so much in this type package? I wound 1 meter around a paper clip and I then put a heavy-duty sewing needle down one side of the paper clip.

Yah, it might be a bit carried away. I can probably just find a smaller roll.

Quote:
1 10ml syringe This is a good idea, but in the case of the size of your container, use a 1 qt. Ziplock bag. Poke a hole in one corner if needed for wound irrigation. Also gives you an extra water storage container.

Clever idea. I'm doing better on the space front so I think I'll keep it for now.

Quote:
1 .5 oz bottle Hypo Tears. A small individual dose like minidrops works ideally in tight spaces.

I hadn't found a source for the little ampules. However while the one of the grocery stores today I scored! They carried them so I have replaced the bottle with two ampules. Cool.

Quote:
1 pair latex exam gloves. 1 pair will fit into a 35mm film canister if nothing else works. The canister will fit the 1040 box.

Things are starting to fit a lot easier now with the various adjustments. However, I think I will look for a pouch to put these on the outside.

Quote:
If you reduce the bulk, then everything should fit.

Thanks! We are definately making progress!

-john

#28717 - 07/08/04 02:37 AM Re: First Aid Kit: Packing and Stuff?
red_jeep Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I based my small FAK on a pouch made by Sawyer that they don't carry anymore. It has a mesh pouch on the outside where I keep my nitrile gloves and some ear plugs. (I carry this kit when I travel on planes, and the ear plugs + a couple benadryl = no more red eyes ). I need to post a picture, I suppose.

TheraTears is another brand that offers single-use eyedrop containers. Works well for me in a small FAK.

For a CPR barrier, there are many keychain-sized units, but the one I've found most convenient for EDC is the Laerdal FaceShield. I carry one in my wallet and 1 in each of my small FAKs.

Otherwise, I've got pretty much the same stuff listed here.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.