Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#287007 - 11/04/17 03:23 AM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
haha! That brings back memories...

I ONCE did a portaging trip through Algonquin Park with a friend who insisted bringing two 24s of canned root beer - in one of those old metal Coleman coolers from the 70s that weigh 82 pounds.

As we packed the car for the trip, he thought it would be prudent to go through my pack to make sure I wasn't taking too much unnecessary stuff. It was a classic Venus and Mars stand-off, and I didn't even know about the cooler of pop yet. Needless to say, we never trekked together again. wink

One has to have their priorities, eh? 2 flats of beer > my yearly consumption! Yeah, seriously. I know a couple of brothers who went out for a weekend of 4x4ing - just between the 2 of them they had 4 flats, and lo & behold, they ran out of them and had to break out the hard liquor.

#287009 - 11/04/17 04:11 AM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Honestly, and without trying to spark debate, I'm still sometimes taken aback by the need for guns & ammo for a little run to the corner store, but I get that that's a cultural thing.

I probably should just let this slide but since someone else mentioned it... wink You could substitute "seat belt" for gun and the meaning would be the same. Just as you're just as likely to need a seat belt on a short drive as a long one (per mile driven at least) and since you can get injured or killed during a short drive, I would submit it makes sense to consistently wear your seat belts- every time, no exceptions. I buckle up to move my car to the other side of the street. To me the same goes for a sidearm. If I knew for a fact when I would need the gun I'd simply stay home that day! grin But since robberies and assaults are seldom preceded by written invitation in advance, I tend to carry my sidearm everywhere it's legal and practical to do so. smile

#287015 - 11/05/17 02:39 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

My BOB gun is limited to a knock-down .22lr and 16 rounds in 2 mags. I don't need anything more than that in a 30 lbs pack. Its primarily for food retrieval not "personal protection". Canucks are a lot less concerned about societal breakdown.

If you want to be entertained, Sootch00 put together a video about a neighbourhood/family group that were planning their 72-hour bug out exercise. What astounded me the most was all the still packaged stuff everyone carried. In other words, they bought a bunch of "survival" stuff but nobody tested the equipment out. Group Bug Out Night

Thanks, Roar! I'm going to check that out. Sootch has some great stuff on his channel

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#287016 - 11/05/17 02:40 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

One has to have their priorities, eh? 2 flats of beer > my yearly consumption! Yeah, seriously. I know a couple of brothers who went out for a weekend of 4x4ing - just between the 2 of them they had 4 flats, and lo & behold, they ran out of them and had to break out the hard liquor.

hahah! I hope they made it back ok!

#287017 - 11/05/17 02:41 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: Phaedrus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Honestly, and without trying to spark debate, I'm still sometimes taken aback by the need for guns & ammo for a little run to the corner store, but I get that that's a cultural thing.

I probably should just let this slide but since someone else mentioned it... wink You could substitute "seat belt" for gun and the meaning would be the same. Just as you're just as likely to need a seat belt on a short drive as a long one (per mile driven at least) and since you can get injured or killed during a short drive, I would submit it makes sense to consistently wear your seat belts- every time, no exceptions. I buckle up to move my car to the other side of the street. To me the same goes for a sidearm. If I knew for a fact when I would need the gun I'd simply stay home that day! grin But since robberies and assaults are seldom preceded by written invitation in advance, I tend to carry my sidearm everywhere it's legal and practical to do so. smile

I guess it's just a matter of having different perspectives on the world. Bygones. smile

#287019 - 11/05/17 04:36 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One of the great things about ETS is the genteel discussion of controversial topics, like the need for firearms.

My personal perspective - I am a firearms owner, and I enjoy recreational shooting and reloading (just as much fun as shooting, IMHO) - in most situations, weapons and ammo are not necessary and their weight and bulk can be used for more useful items - this is especially true if hiking or backpacking.

There are two occasions in my adult life where I was really glad I had my 357 handy. The rest of the time it was just a nice recreational device.

Circumstances and environments vary and what works for one situation may not go in another.

In a recent newspaper, there was an article about "good guys with guns" and the assertion that their presence at a crime scene actually impeded detention of the bad guy. Google "good guys with guns" and there are many articles, some with interesting stats, that make thoughtful reading....

#287020 - 11/05/17 04:57 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: hikermor
In a recent newspaper, there was an article about "good guys with guns" and the assertion that their presence at a crime scene actually impeded detention of the bad guy. Google "good guys with guns" and there are many articles, some with interesting stats, that make thoughtful reading....

The good guys can pose a problem in many situations. About a year ago we had a news paper article were an older gentleman defended a poor girl from a person who was molesting her. Though luck for the gentleman: a plain clothes LEO was making an arrest on a criminal (the girl, resisting arrest). The gentleman got in trouble for assaulting the LEO, impeding the arrest and trying to help a criminal to escape.

#287021 - 11/05/17 06:43 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: M_a_x]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: M_a_x
The good guys can pose a problem in many situations. About a year ago we had a news paper article were an older gentleman defended a poor girl from a person who was molesting her. Though luck for the gentleman: a plain clothes LEO was making an arrest on a criminal (the girl, resisting arrest). The gentleman got in trouble for assaulting the LEO, impeding the arrest and trying to help a criminal to escape.

I don't have hard statistics at hand but my understanding is that this sort of situation is much rarer than civilians with guns helping law enforcement, in the USA.

#287022 - 11/05/17 07:21 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: chaosmagnet]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I do not have hard statistics either. I may not be a really common problem as the case is fairly old by now and it made it beyond local press. Itīs just a reminder to carefully judge a situation before intervening.

#287024 - 11/05/17 08:22 PM Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Gun politics redacted.

Edited by chaosmagnet (11/06/17 12:59 PM)

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.