Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#287057 - 11/08/17 02:24 PM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: LesSnyder]
NAro Offline
Addict

I'm pessimistic regarding the effectiveness of any fire extinguisher you could have readily available in a vehicle - while safely secured. I have witnessed 5 police cars discharge the contents of theirs in a failed attempt to save a trapped and burning driver. Had no effect.
So... I'd appreciate observations from any trained fire fighters on the forum.

However, Tjin: "Insurance covers fires, not corrosion on electronics" isn't always the case... at least regarding MY policy (which I don't think is atypical). Coverage is present for incidental damage from fire-fighting efforts, too. YMMV

#287058 - 11/08/17 04:35 PM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: NAro]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

I once stopped to assist at a car fire - tire on the ground was aflame (probably had been run flat for quite a while). I had an extinguisher, as did other bystanders, but the fire kept reigniting after momentary knockdowns from various extinguishers.

Finally resolved when someone dumped water on the hot rim, reducing the residual heat.

Years ago, the Fed Gov't concluded that carrying fire extinguishers in fleet vehicles was not cost effective....FWIW

#287059 - 11/08/17 05:18 PM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: NAro]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NAro

However, Tjin: "Insurance covers fires, not corrosion on electronics" isn't always the case... at least regarding MY policy (which I don't think is atypical). Coverage is present for incidental damage from fire-fighting efforts, too. YMMV

I do not feel like having arguments with the insurance about all the electronics that fail a few months later. Sure they will pay for the initial damage, but powder gets into everything and destroys them with a delay.

As for the effectiveness of fire extinguisher on car fires. Unless it's a small fire, just wait until the fire engine arrives,

#287060 - 11/08/17 06:43 PM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
" just wait untill the fire engine arrives," works fine a functioning urban environment, but don't hold your breath out in the boonies (where I like to spend as much time as possible)....

#287061 - 11/08/17 10:08 PM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
" just wait untill the fire engine arrives," works fine a functioning urban environment, but don't hold your breath out in the boonies (where I like to spend as much time as possible)....

Once it's properly started, no extinguisher small enough to practically carry in the back is effective enough.

Car fires are not to be underestimated; airbags blowing up, gas pistons blowing apart, burning liquid fuel spills, heck there are even cases where the fire short outed the car and the car started and started moving. I can replace my car easily, so not that willing to take too much risk.

#287062 - 11/08/17 11:02 PM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: Tjin]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Hmm...I think I will stick with carrying a 6-pack of beer (IPA), rather than a fire extinguisher. If my car catches fire, I'll get out (with the beer), and call the fire department. Then sit back, open a beer, and enjoy the show. smile

#287063 - 11/09/17 02:08 AM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: dougwalkabout]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Makes more sense than carrying a sixpack. Beer is not a very good fire suppressant.....

Well, it does work to an extent. The main problem is the lag time between input and output.

You'v been watching "Strange Brew" again haven't you?

#287064 - 11/09/17 02:56 PM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: Roarmeister]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Makes more sense than carrying a sixpack. Beer is not a very good fire suppressant.....

Well, it does work to an extent. The main problem is the lag time between input and output.

You'v been watching "Strange Brew" again haven't you?

grin

Edited by dougwalkabout (11/09/17 03:01 PM)

#287065 - 11/09/17 03:01 PM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
We had a vigorous fire extinguisher discussion a while ago. I reluctantly came around to the group consensus that the engine compartments of most modern vehicles are so tightly packed with stuff that you couldn't get a shot at the source of a fire anyway. So I don't bother with an extinguisher.

#287066 - 11/09/17 05:37 PM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I have put out two car fires.

One was a hay truck where the fire just had started from the heat of the exhaust
pipe that ran up the back of the truck. Since we were in a snow storm on top of Steven's pass WA the driver, me and my buddy just shoveled snow on the fire.

The second was an engine fire on a pickup truck that had just pulled over from smoke. We saw flames thru the grill, so didn't open the hood, just sprayed the extinguisher thru the grill. Worked great.

That said, I haven't replaced that extinguisher yet. I do have a shovel, axe and bucket for wildfires.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 191 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.