The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#286960 - 10/31/17 04:52 PM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
The funny thing is that in these cases I'm usually one who says "...the press usually gets these things wrong...let's give them the benefit of the doubt until we have more info..." or words to that effect. However, in the two interviews I watched their very own words seemed so full of improbabilities and inconsistencies that I had to wonder, like the 3 day Force 11 storm one day out of Hawaii, not being able to survive another 24 hours, and the "Devils Triangle". Then the old salts on Cruiser's Forum, many of whom have experience doing extended voyages in those waters, soon started to pick apart their story.

One story said:
Quote:
Appel said they carried two GPS units; one failed and they had to rely on the hand-held model for the entire voyage.
They also had a new VHF radio, a ham radio, a weather satellite and a radio telephone. She says none worked, and they apparently had a communications failure with their new antenna.
They also carried a satellite phone that she said never seemed to connect.
She says they had six ways to communicate with multiple backups, and none functioned properly.
I find that hard to believe.

Regarding the EPIRB, those are registered, listing the owner and boat. I'm sure one of the first things the Coast Guard did when the story broke was to check their records. Whereupon they found that boat and owner did have a registered EPIRB. One of the articles someone linked up thread said the Coast Guard asked them about it and the women admitted they had one but didn't activate it.

As to motivation, who knows. A book and movie deal maybe? Help for a failing actress's career? Whatever it was, their story started to fall apart from the moment they were first interviewed on the Navy ship.

#286964 - 10/31/17 05:58 PM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There’s another version of the tale at: Inconsistencies... I’ll wait to watch this on the SyFy Channel, no reason for paying to watch it on the big screen wink

#286968 - 10/31/17 11:30 PM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: dougwalkabout]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Looking for a book deal I suppose.

#286969 - 11/01/17 12:23 AM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

There will likely be some unfortunate side effects from this whole incident.

Blue water sailing has traditionally been a male dominated field. But nowadays there are many fine woman sailors who can hold their own on any boat, in any waters. Unfortunately, many uninformed people will probably see these two idiots as representative of all women sailors.

Likewise, this incident will doubtless be used as ammunition by those who think that anyone (male or female) who undertakes long adventurous voyages in small boats is an irresponsible fool.

#286972 - 11/01/17 01:50 AM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I trust that your concerns are not well founded. Any activity may have shysters and cheats of either sex, and it would not be logical to condemn any category or group simply because of a unique incident like this. it merely shows that we are all human and that we encompass individuals with flaws.

I hope so,anyway....

#286973 - 11/01/17 03:35 AM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: AKSAR]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Unfortunately, many uninformed people will probably see these two idiots as representative of all women sailors.

I am very uninformed when it comes to sailing.

I would certainly not blame all women sailors, all sailors in general, or any group.

The only folks to blame are the two liars who made up this whole story. Throw 'em overboard, come back in two weeks, and see if they have a more believable story to tell at that time.

Quote:
Likewise, this incident will doubtless be used as ammunition by those who think that anyone (male or female) who undertakes long adventurous voyages in small boats is an irresponsible fool.

There are fools, and then there are liars. Two different things. Some people who undertake long adventurous voyages may indeed be fools, but the majority are not. I doubt many fools would have the brain power to earn enough money to finance one of these long sailing adventures. They can't be inexpensive. So my assumption is that most people who engage in these kind of adventures are pretty dang smart and well to do. Idiots can't manage that. These ladies aren't fools. They are liars.

#286977 - 11/01/17 11:01 AM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: dougwalkabout]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK

#286978 - 11/01/17 12:15 PM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: Ren]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks for that, “Unreasonably Dangerous Onion Rings” shredded the story like an angry cat shredding toilet paper — visual aid is in the link. Really, it’s a good and thorough analysis of the 5 month ordeal — but long, now I’m running late wink

#286979 - 11/01/17 02:48 PM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: Ren]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Ren

Enjoyable read, although at least a few of his assumptions my be off. For example, he makes a big deal about the Survivor 06, which I agree doesn't add up. Designed for small life raft use, it has limited output as noted. But it is as likely or more likely to have either been a larger Survivor 35, a more common back-up for a boat, or manual operation of the boat's electrically powered desalintor.

Also, while i agree that a well found boat could be launched in a week on a similar voyage, fact is most such voyages are years in the making, so i think that is way off.

Having said all that, to more information that comes out, more I have to agree with the assessment that this is a BS survival story.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#286980 - 11/01/17 03:13 PM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: haertig]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: haertig
I doubt many fools would have the brain power to earn enough money to finance one of these long sailing adventures. They can't be inexpensive. So my assumption is that most people who engage in these kind of adventures are pretty dang smart and well to do.
It is a common misconception that all blue water sailors are well to do. While this kind of voyaging isn't cheap, it can be done for much than one might think. One could buy a capable 40-50 ft world cruiser, used but in decent shape, for under $200K. Sometimes much less if one is willing and able to put time and money into a refit. One sees a fair number of folks who retire and sell their paid off house, put part of the proceeds into a good used boat, and head out on a world cruise.

Before embarking on their big adventure, most of these folks have developed their sailing skills over the years by weekend and vacation sailing in smaller boats in coastal areas. Over the years they've also developed the knowledge and skills to cope with at sea emergencies. They've also learned to make at sea repairs when something breaks, as inevitably it will. And they have the good sense to activate the EPIRB on those rare occasions when things have gotten beyond their ability to deal with.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.