The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#286941 - 10/30/17 09:54 PM Griz attack thwarted
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands

Father Uses .44 Magnum to Shoot Grizzly Bear off Son

"FWP found the dead bear the next day. It was a 12-year-old dry sow. It was not lactating and did not have young cubs. It was about 250 lbs, and in good shape. 250 lbs is a reasonable weight for an adult sow grizzly in the mountains. The bear did not have any tags, or previous history of aggressive encounters with humans. Unprovoked grizzly attacks have been noted throughout the history of grizzly bears. The current fad is to always assign a human motivation.

Dave and Rory never heard or saw any other bear near them. There is no evidence that any cub, or yearling grizzly, was nearby. The sow's body was found about 50 yards from the attack location."

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/10/father-uses-44-magnum-to-shoot-grizzly-bear-off-son/#axzz4x1tJiwUL

#286945 - 10/31/17 03:03 AM Re: Griz attack thwarted [Re: clearwater]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I would be willing to bet, that the next time all 5 cartridges will be loaded

#286950 - 10/31/17 07:14 AM Re: Griz attack thwarted [Re: LesSnyder]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Quote:

He had been taught, 50 years ago, to carry a revolver with an empty chamber under the hammer.

Can someone explain why, what´s the logic behind that?

Edited by Herman30 (10/31/17 07:15 AM)

#286951 - 10/31/17 08:00 AM Re: Griz attack thwarted [Re: Herman30]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Early cartridge revolvers (e. g. the Colt SAA 1873) had a firing pin that protruded enough to rest on the primer. Hard pressure or a hit on the hammer could cause a discharge. That is why in CAS you earn a DQ for the hammer down on a live round.
Hickok45 did a nice video on that topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldHPNnsp-cs
More modern revolvers (e. g. S&W double action revolvers or the Ruger Vaquero) are built to keep the firing pin from the primer if the trigger is not pulled. They can be fully loaded without decreasing safety. It would have been safe to load all chambers of the Taurus.

#286959 - 10/31/17 04:50 PM Re: Griz attack thwarted [Re: clearwater]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
M_a_x beat me to it. I would also add that if your handgun doesn't have this sort of internal safety mechanism you should probably not be carrying it. As far as I know all modern handguns do.

#286966 - 10/31/17 10:08 PM Re: Griz attack thwarted [Re: clearwater]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I believe that some of the early Ruger Blackhawk single action pistols did not have the transfer bar.... Ruger had an upgrade for those pistols, but some may still be out there... the transfer bar rides between the hammer and firing pin... the hammer rests on the frame and does not contact the firing pin directly... upon pulling the trigger, the transfer bar moves up... the hammer fall strikes the transfer bar, with in turn strikes the firing pin...

#286971 - 11/01/17 01:48 AM Re: Griz attack thwarted [Re: clearwater]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
As mentioned He didn't need to do that for the Taurus. It is a DA/SA anyway. Which would be better for followup shots if you could get back on target after firing full house 44 mag.

"M_a_x beat me to it. I would also add that if your handgun doesn't have this sort of internal safety mechanism you should probably not be carrying it. As far as I know all modern handguns do."

The old ruger flattop does need to be carried with an empty under the hammer. Safe to use as long as you do it right.
Load one, skip one, load the rest. You can keep a $100 bill in the empty chamber to pay for your casket if you are a gun slinger. Some of the old guns are stronger than the modern DA ones. You can't fire heavy loads in S&W like you can the old Rugers.
A transfer bar limits smoothness and trigger response a little bit.

The Ruger company will change to the more recent method for you, but the value of changed guns is less if you decide to sell.

You can still buy reproduction revolvers without transfer bars. I think some of them have different firing pins too.

Edited by clearwater (11/01/17 01:52 AM)

#286975 - 11/01/17 08:14 AM Re: Griz attack thwarted [Re: clearwater]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: clearwater
The old ruger flattop does need to be carried with an empty under the hammer. Safe to use as long as you do it right.
Load one, skip one, load the rest.

That gives a gun to carry with an empty chamber. However, when the gun is cocked and decocked by lowering the hammer, it has a live round under the hammer. The user would have to remember to reindex the cylinder to make it safe to holster.
I would second chaosmagnet´s suggestion. If you carry, preferably select a gun that does not need to be carried with an empty chamber under the hammer.
The S&W can handle .44 Mag loads as long as they are to spec. If I felt the need for more power, I´d select a more powerful caliber.
Originally Posted By: clearwater
You can still buy reproduction revolvers without transfer bars. I think some of them have different firing pins too.

I own a pair of fairly new Uberti SAA clones. They are not safe to carry with a live round under the hammer. They are used exclusively for CAS. So it does not matter anyway. Shooting a CAS stage is probably much less stress than defending against a griz and I have a TO and three spotters to watch for safe gun handling.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.