The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#286871 - 10/24/17 04:33 PM Re: Compact food [Re: Tirec]
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Rocky Mountain West
Perhaps a combination of Pemmican, Panforte, Logan/Expedition Bread, and lifeboat rations.
http://www.tastereport.com/TasteReport.com/food/Entries/2013/7/31_Fruitcake_The_breakfast_%28lunch_snack%29_of_champions.html

#286873 - 10/24/17 07:37 PM Re: Compact food [Re: Tirec]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Any sort of protein bar -- Cliff bars, for example. (Lightweight back[packers think about this a lot -- highest calorie to weight ratio)

Edited by TeacherRO (10/24/17 07:38 PM)

#286877 - 10/25/17 06:56 AM Re: Compact food [Re: Tirec]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
I take MRE's on canoe trips as a "treat".freeze dry gets old after a few days.i would suggest just taking the meat packs without all the sauce in them.beef stew with all the vegetables is a filling meal but heavy.after a trip with those type packs I got the pork rib,chicken patty,and beef patty.adding instant rice or some sort of pasta on the side makes a real filling meal.
the Spam singles need to be fried otherwise they are just salty blobs if cooked in any sort of stew type meal.a single cooked up in a pot of Knorr rice side,teriyaki,was one of the most nasty meals I had on the canoe trail
the meat patty's can be eaten cold or the pack heated in any water you might use for something else.
half a Cliff bar was enough to keep me going between lunch and dinner but expect a hard chew.i can't say enough good things about some sort of hard chocolate with fruit and nuts in it.
I cut out hard sausage because it's salty and leaves a taste in you mouth for a long time.
if you want real hard core survival food make up ground toasted corn and take it with water.it expands in your stomach and has all the nutrition you need.i tried that when I was much younger at home to see if it worked,it does but it's not a real meal just something to keep you alive.

#286878 - 10/25/17 11:07 AM Re: Compact food [Re: Tirec]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I haven't seen Millennium bars around here yet, but I too am a fan of Daytrex and Cliff bars. I snack on them once in a while, and my kids love them, but I try to reserve them for emergency rations.

As for actual planned menu items, MH and MREs do make appearances in my packs, but I find them too expensive. MREs are heavy and bulky too, at least until you factor in the water that you may need to make other stuff. Water weight is water weight and there's just no getting around it. Try eating those ration bars without washing it down with a litre of water. UGH!

I love finding my own DYI rations and recipes. I haven't started dehydrating my own stuff yet, but grocery stores, Walmart and Dollarama all have lots of options for ready-to-eat-condensed-dehyrdrated foods that are budget-friendly, packable and tasty. The options available for grains and canned meat these days is pretty impressive, for example.

Not sure what your taste buds like, but check out the International section of your local stores. Ours are carrying lots of interesting stuff!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#286887 - 10/27/17 06:03 AM Re: Compact food [Re: Tirec]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

I like the taste of some MREs personally (Beef Stew and Cheese Tortellini especially) but I generally strip them down to the entrees as the complete MREs are too bulky.

I'd love mountain house to shape their pro-pak meals like their long range patrol rations (into bricks basically) since they store much better that way.... but they're so expensive I don't buy either.

As far as snacks go, I like clif bars not for the taste but because they don't melt into a mess in the heat, they just get softer. Sometimes I'll pack nature valley crunchy granola bars too.

My "iron ration" is a 3600 cal lifeboat ration (mainstay or the walmart UST one that has a mild apple taste) I generally keep in the bottom of my bag.

#286926 - 10/28/17 08:20 PM Re: Compact food [Re: Tirec]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Generally, I can get the food I need, even when weight is critical, from standard supermarket fare, especially if I don't need to pack a lot of water. Stuff like instant oatmeal, dehydrated potatoes, cheeses, beef jerky will generally do quite nicely. i will repackage if bulk is an issue. I also toss in some MH stuff, but it is quite expensive.

If I must carry water, or if travelling by vehicle, I go for favorite canned goods - Dinty Moore beef stew is a current fav. You can often supplement what you carry with gathered items - berries, miners lettuce, and the like. This adds fresh greens and variety. Once can be surprised at what is out there for the taking...

#286946 - 10/31/17 03:10 AM Re: Compact food [Re: Tirec]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
has anyone tried the emergency rations from China that I see on Ebay?

#286957 - 10/31/17 02:46 PM Re: Compact food [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

It looks like you can get MREs (or equivalent) from different countries -- Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Russia, Norway, etc. A multicultural survival experience is completely within your grasp! So the question, I suppose, is which country's army feeds their soldiers the best, assuming the MREs are authentic. I notice you can get the French ration individuelle d'exercise as well as the Italian ratione viveri da combattimento...

#286962 - 10/31/17 04:55 PM Re: Compact food [Re: Bingley]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
It looks like you can get MREs (or equivalent) from different countries -- Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Russia, Norway, etc. A multicultural survival experience is completely within your grasp! So the question, I suppose, is which country's army feeds their soldiers the best, assuming the MREs are authentic. I notice you can get the French ration individuelle d'exercise as well as the Italian ratione viveri da combattimento...

Hmmm....Do the French and/or Italians have wine in their rations? Personally, I prefer a good red.

#286974 - 11/01/17 03:43 AM Re: Compact food [Re: Tirec]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Suddenly, ETS is now ETSWC -- Equipped to Survive with Class. People on the internet say the French MRE had liquor at one point, but I don't know the truth of it.

Here's some info with pictures: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2011/10/13/which_countries_have_the_tastiest_mres_.html

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.