Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#286981 - 11/01/17 03:33 PM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: dougwalkabout]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

$200K? Why, even my butler makes more than that! These cruisers are truly priced for the masses. I must be more skeptical of my fellow yacht club members from now on. One can never be too careful! I shudder to imagine hoi polloi traversing the seven seas with my peers! How many monocles will they need?

#286983 - 11/01/17 04:32 PM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: Bingley]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Bingley
$200K? Why, even my butler makes more than that! These cruisers are truly priced for the masses. I must be more skeptical of my fellow yacht club members from now on. One can never be too careful! I shudder to imagine hoi polloi traversing the seven seas with my peers! How many monocles will they need?
Exactly my point Bing. If you could just bring yourself to forego the butler, you could put the money you would have paid him into a good boat and sail the seven seas! smile

Seriously, you did note that I said they retire, sell the house, and buy a boat, did you not? By the way, have you priced a big RV lately? I see lots of old geezers driving those big "road whales" around the country. We see lots of them here in AK every summer, who drive up the Alcan. A good boat doesn't go for that much more than one of those things. And wind is significantly cheaper than gasoline (especially gas on the Alcan).

Edited by AKSAR (11/01/17 05:46 PM)

#286994 - 11/02/17 08:54 PM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
How a real sailor handles problems at sea

In July, Australian Lisa Blair became the first woman to circumnavigate Antarctica, solo. Her original intent was to do it in one continuous push, and break the speed record for this voyage.

However, in 40 knot winds and 7-9 meter seas, her boat was dismasted. She notified authorities with a "Pan Pan" radio call. A Pan Pan means I have serious problems, but not immediately life threatened. A sort of "stand by, I may need help but not just yet" message.

She ultimately took on extra fuel from another ship, jury rigged a new mast, and motor sailed to Cape Town and repaired the boat. She then returned to the point where she had been dismasted, and completed the rest of her circumnavigation of Antarctica. It is instructive, and inspiring to read her blog posts about planning the jury rig, and building the jury rig.

Even for non-sailors, I think it is instructive to see what a determined, skilled person can do to turn a survival situation into a successful venture.

On planning:
Quote:
After the stress of the fuel transfer yesterday I was absolutely shattered, both mentally and physically. As soon as the fuel was stowed and the boat was safely motoring north I went to bed and fell into a deep deep sleep.  I needed to wake to maintain my required sked with MRCC Cape Town, but that was the only thing I needed to wake up for. So after going to bed at sunset, I didn’t arise until after the sun was up.  After such a long sleep, I was beginning to feel human again and decided to tackle the day with positive attitude.  There is not much that I let get me down in life and the experiences of the last few days are just bumps in the road.  You can go over them, around them or through them but you always get past them.  This to me is no different.  I hope in no time at all this bump will be behind me and I will be able to continue sailing away.
On that note, today was a day focused on building my jury rig and starting to sail.  I have to say that it is quite a lot of work building a jury rig. You really need to think of everything, as once you get it up you really don’t want to have to lower it again just because you forgot to tie a rope on...  So today was one of planning and starting the process of getting my boom vertical so I can sail with my storm sails and assist my little motor towards Cape Town.
On building the jury rig:
Quote:
I had finished clearing the decks off yesterday, so today was all about running the guide ropes that I will need to hoist the mast.  I also needed to angle grind off the torn weld marks at the base of the boom so that I would prevent the boom from doing more damage to the hull.  This was the first task that I started with and ended up with me covered in metal shavings but the job was a success and I now have a boom that is a smooth as a baby’s bottom. 
I also needed to drill out the shackle attachment point for the old topping lift point.  At the moment, it would only allow me to put a small to medium shackle in the hole however this was going to be the place that I attached my backstay, running backstays and side shrouds, so I needed to make sure that this was going to be strong.  So, I drilled out the hole to make it large enough to fit one of my large 10 Ton shackles.

#286995 - 11/02/17 09:26 PM Re: Rescued After 3 Months at Sea [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Good share, AKSAR. Very interesting stuff.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.