Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#286780 - 10/16/17 08:59 PM Re: California Burning [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Pete Offline
Veteran

yes, as Geezer in Chief said ... really a "worst-case set of circumstances".

A fire that was moving very fast, sweeping through hills and valleys, burning homes in the middle of the night, and taking down cell phone towers quickly.

The authorities did send specific warnings to areas by text and social media. But some people did not receive them. At least one old couple did send messages asking for evacuation - but no-one could get to their neighborhood. I think a lot of people were surprised in the middle of the night ... no time to do anything except to jump in a car and flee. Those that did not have a car available ... the options for survival were few.

It's a pretty horrible set of circumstances.
And as I said above ... could just as easily happen in the location where I live. With the same end results.

Edited by Pete (10/16/17 09:01 PM)

#286784 - 10/17/17 02:47 AM Re: California Burning [Re: Doug_Ritter]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
are weather alert radios using SAME specific locale type warnings (162mHz range)able to be received in the mountainous regions?, and do counties declare emergency evacuations over reverse 911 calls on land line phone systems?

it is hard to believe that there is not 24hour continuous local warnings available on media that is not dependent on cell service...do land line phone systems still exist in these areas?

#286793 - 10/17/17 11:30 PM Re: California Burning [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Les - a very legitimate question.

First, I am an example of a person who lives in a rural CA community and I don't have a landline. I suspect that many others nearby are similar. Why pay the extra cost? I think now that people will have to re-consider this ... in light of what happened. I will need to re-consider also.

I will be discussing - with the others in my community - how do we get a better and more reliable system of communication operating? If phones don't work ... the only alternative is for "emergency contacters" to literally drive door-to-door. That might be what we have to do. it's the kind of thing that needs discussion and organization.

This fire tragedy has really hit on a weakness of our society - we have become very dependent on cell phone technology and autos, and our social relationships have become very fractured. Part of the reason why people don't know their own neighbors - is because we all have Internet social contacts ... but those people are far away. We have "gone global, and lost local".

Communities need to think about these things.

#286800 - 10/18/17 03:42 AM Re: California Burning [Re: Pete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I’m thinking keep it simple and remembering the air-raid sirens of WWII London. Very loud, wake-you-up loud. No landline, no cell tower, just a lot of noise. Wake-up, call a number on any phone to hear the pre-recorded message, or tune into a local news station. Whatever it takes to get people’s attention and get them started heading in the right direction.

#286801 - 10/18/17 05:03 AM Re: California Burning [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Russ - an excellent suggestion and affordable.
I will bring up that option with the homeowners in our community.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 441 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.