The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#286671 - 10/07/17 09:54 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Phaedrus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I use a set of standard dumbbells for home workouts. I still need to go to the gym for squats. Depending on how you train, weights can get your heart rate way up.

#286672 - 10/07/17 09:58 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Hi,
Its the same as fitness under 60,
that means stop shopping
and start moving your butt smile
Dance for a song or two , one or two times a day

advanced fitness

step 1) Stretch and Flex learn to stretch without hurting yourself no matter your fitness level,
stretch after waking up,
stretch before working out

Step 2) Wiggle and dance for 7minutes (1-2songs) non stop
, and throw in some "lunges" and "squats" and "pushups"

skip the situps/crunches ... anything exercise thats too ouchy smile

its basically the HICT HIGH-INTENSITY CIRCUIT TRAINING USING BODY WEIGHT: Maximum Results With Minimal Investment

super advanced
great, now you can dance non stop for 2-3 songs, and do 30 pushups ... jumping jacks, squats, dips...

the advanced part,
work you way up to 100 pushup, 100 squats, 100 dips ...

super duper advanced

now you're very fit athlete,
maybe now its shopping time?

break-dancing or gymnastics lessons?
Pull up bar for your doorframe?
Weight belt/vest/sandbag for more difficult pushups?
Rock climbing wall?
Body building equipment?

Most people don't stretch every morning,
don't dance every day,
and they suffer back/neck/arm pain,
foul mood,
sleep drunk, depend on coffee to wake ...
a little stretch and dance goes a long way to getting you going

Edited by EMPnotImplyNuclear (10/07/17 10:08 PM)

#286673 - 10/07/17 11:36 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Just don't post any videos of it!

#286677 - 10/08/17 03:14 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: KenK]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks everyone

Kenk ; My staying home preference is not related to my weight. I do go out but I want to exercise in my own cave for other reasons. OK OK I will give a hint. Please don't laugh. Someone insists to go walking with me and I just want to walk alone. Well, this is one reason. There are others. But my weight doesn't stop me from being on the move most of the day. Mostly driving but some gardening and some manual labor around the house.

Since you have kindly shared your dietary path to reducing weight, maybe you could also shed some light on a potential problem I a worried about : LOOSE SKIN.

When you lost weight did you have loose skin ?? and how did you deal with it ???

Thanks

#286678 - 10/08/17 04:44 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Kenk ;Since you have kindly shared your dietary path to reducing weight, maybe you could also shed some light on a potential problem I a worried about : LOOSE SKIN.

When you lost weight did you have loose skin ?? and how did you deal with it ???

Yeah, I don't have the thin model-type body that, well, I never had as a fat kid, and I do have the front belt-line sag that many women who have the glory of having children seem to have, but I don't see it as a flaw, but just what is.

I don't really have loose skin in any other areas - maybe a bit under my upper arm, but not too bad.

My doctor says it will get better, but, again, like many mothers, I'm keeping my expectations low.

The wife & I have a place in northern Wisconsin where we'll retire to. For years there has been a man who has walked past our house, and much of the time he has his shirt off while keeping cool. He's clearly lost a lot of weight, and seems to show loose skin along his side (like vertical wings - go figure), but he does seem to be looking "better" over the years, and I glad it doesn't stop him. I think walking has been his thing. Power to him!!!

Ken K.

#286679 - 10/08/17 05:32 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
The resistance bands are a good purchase. They will provide a good workout if you follow the directions for their use. There may be a 'group' in your area that offers initial 'direction' on their use to get you going in the right direction.

#286680 - 10/08/17 05:48 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

If you do not have sports background; check with a docter first or atleast build up slowly! Your body needs to adapter to any form of sport and at a later age, it will take a lot longer to adapter. So start slowly, otherwise you can overstress things.

#286681 - 10/08/17 06:02 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Dieting alone can result in loose skin.

Combine reasonable dieting (not extreme weight loss binges) with very good hydration and strengthening/toning/muscle building exercises to help alleviate the problem. You can't get rid of the problem totally, but you can mitigate it somewhat. We need aerobic exercise as well, but that doesn't really help with loose skin. There is also skin reduction surgery for those that lose a ton of weight. But that is so extreme, and dangerous, I'd stay far clear of it.

#286682 - 10/08/17 06:02 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I am in my mid 50s, not over 60, but have suffered from some major injuries and broken bones (including back and neck). Just getting moving every day can be a major victory. Discipline in your diet, focusing on portion control, snacking and quality, can also be very significant to your progress. Small victories, and then turn them into large victories. Build good habits, and break bad ones. Lean muscle mass burns more calories, so working the entire body helps. An kind of resistance will work the muscles, find something that works for you. The solutions that other people have found may work for them, but may not work so well for you. Try them, but don't build a wellness program around other peoples' solutions.

That is the other key, you need an entire wellness program, that includes all aspects of your life. But it needs to work for you and your unique situation. Experiment, seek information (there is a lot out there, but there is a lot of bad as well). The people around you need to understand what you are trying to do, and be supportive of it. It will help tremendously.

Regardless of religion or belief system, do not neglect the spiritual/moral/emotional aspects. Even if you are an avowed atheist, understanding what you are feeling and why is important. Mindfulness may sound all touchy feely, but meditation works for everyone. It does take practice though. It can aid in managing stress and help you maintain the discipline necessary for such a major lifestyle change.

Good luck and never give up!

#286683 - 10/08/17 07:01 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Since you have kindly shared your dietary path to reducing weight, maybe you could also shed some light on a potential problem I a worried about : LOOSE SKIN.

One of our clients ran into that problem. She lost weight and dealt with loose skin. Though not 100%, Vitamin E cream helped a lot.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/genes-vitamin-e-creme-16oz/157674.ip?xid=plp1120107-phar:product:1:6

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Genes or Sam's Club.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.