Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#286661 - 10/07/17 07:25 PM Fitness over 60
Chisel Offline
Veteran

That is my question
Any remarks are welcome

However, I have a specific need for some suggestions for in-house gym stuff. It's a long story, but the juice of it is I don't want to go to a fitness club or walk outside. Never mind the reasons.

Are there any items or equipment that can help me exercise within my smallish man-cave ??? I need to do aerobic and other exercises in a limited space with small or no equipment. I do have a few small weights ..etc. And need suggestions for more equipment that is not electric (maintenance free , almost ) and can fold away in drawers or cabinets.

Suggestions are appreciated.
Oh, and any pdf materials online are welcome too.
Thanks

#286662 - 10/07/17 07:26 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I am over 60 and obese. Daibetic too.
But otherwise no major health issues.

#286663 - 10/07/17 07:31 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I have seen these kinds of fitness kits

Are they any good. I like them

#286664 - 10/07/17 07:32 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

#286665 - 10/07/17 07:33 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

So you get the idea.

However, I don't know if any of these can simulate walking.

#286666 - 10/07/17 08:30 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
A treadmill is good if you have the room. There are folding aerobic stepper-type machines. Resistance bands by themselves really don't work well for aerobic exercise.

#286667 - 10/07/17 08:51 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
This isn't exactly addressing your specific questions, but ...

I'm in my upper 50's and have been overweight my whole life, but in the last 10+ years it got very out of control. I'm 6' 5" (maybe shrinking in height a little), and I was approaching 400 lbs!!! I started into pre-diabetes and my hips and knees started complaining about the weight, so I decided I had to really do something about it.

Since August, 2016 I have lost almost 110 pounds by changing how I eat AND tracking what I eat. I tried to exercise by walking at the beginning, but the hips, knees, and feet simply hurt too much. The walking for exercise just wasn't working.

I used an Android app called "Value Diary", which uses a version of Weight Watchers (WW). It assigns you a daily number of allowed points based upon your height and weight. The reason I like WW is that it cuts carbohydrates and allows free (relatively unlimited) fruits & vegetables. It recognizes that low fat proteins are good for you. I stopped eating bread (mostly), pasta, rice (mostly), cereal, ... and I track EVERY bit of foot that I eat. If I can't find it in the database or can't enter the nutrition information, then I just find something close - I figured a worst case guess was better than not recording it. You just have to DO IT and be honest - DON'T CHEAT, YOU ONLY HURT YOURSELF!!

Oh, and my wife did the same thing. I just couldn't do this on my own. She wasn't nearly as heavy as me - smaller of course, but she lost 30+ pounds and is very happy about it - except for having to give up her beloved high calorie coffee creamer - the WW points didn't let her get by with that.

At first I ate some rice each day, but my doctor said it provided no real nutrition and was only empty carbs, so I stopped (mostly).

I also weigh myself every morning - keeping in mind that the weight will go up and down a bit on a daily basis - so I try to not let short-term increases upset me. Sometimes it still does, but hey.

I try to only eat eggs, lean meats - chicken, lean ham, lean pork chops, lean red meat, fish (I'm not a big fish eater), chicken or turkey sausage, ...

I found commercial reduced calorie frozen dinners to be too little food and not satisfying.

Breakfast used to be toast (2 slices) with peanut butter, or a big bowl of cereal. Now I scramble two eggs in a bowl (using Pam), cook it in a microwave, toast one slice of whole-wheat bread, put a slice of low-fat cheese on top of the toast, and lay the cooked egg on top. That and a glass of skim milk.

Lunch is typically a salad (at work) with some hard boiled egg and chicken slices (veggies unlimited), and non or low fat dressing. I find some parmesan cheese sprinkled on add a lot of flavor - and lots of fresh ground pepper, when available. When eating out I try to go to Subway for a turkey sandwich with no sauces, or Taco Bell for tacos with Fresco sauce (no cheese). I haven't eaten a burger or pasta since I started.

Dinner is usually a salad, fruit, a hot veggie, and a lean meat, with skim milk. I found that veggie pizza is tolerable if I am careful the rest of the day. No fried foods (except meat in a little oil - but not deep fried or breaded, if you know what I mean).

I eat a snack - usually a granola bar (watch the points!!) at 10am & 2-3am, trying to avoid getting too hungry. I tried eating nuts, but they were high in points and my gut doesn't seem to like them much. Oh, and I have a WW fudge bar at night - it's about the same points as a granola bar.

Now, a smaller person may need to avoid some of my foods - they are allowed fewer daily points. It could be done by skipping the breakfast cheese and bread, skipping the egg or chicken with lunch, and looking for lower point snacks - maybe veggies.

I would strongly strongly recommend changing how you eat. It can make ALL the difference.

These days I can walk a lot farther and do a lot more without the pain. So now I am walking more - parking far away from wherever, walking up and down parking ramps, taking dogs for walks, etc. I still have more to lose, but getting there.

Ken

P.S. I think walking is really the best exercise you can do if weight is an issue. You just can't get enough exercise inside - except maybe using a treadmill, but if you're obese it will be very tough going. My solution was to loose weight first, and then start walking more.

#286668 - 10/07/17 08:52 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

My home office (man cave) is rather small

I was thinking to attach resistance bands between hands and feet and "walk" in place.
Maybe you are right though.
I just saved a few You tube videos for senior workouts.
Maybe I can grab a few ideas for my situation.

Thanks

#286669 - 10/07/17 08:59 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Do you have stairs in your house? Repeating a couple of trips up and down those is free, and takes up zero space. No fair hauling yourself up by the handrails (as I do!)

#286670 - 10/07/17 09:06 PM Re: Fitness over 60 [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Strength training is very important at any age but especially as we get older. Maybe a set of kettlebells and a small selection of free weights? KenK makes great suggestions too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 334 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.