Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286491 - 09/27/17 01:20 AM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

There is a misunderstanding above. I didn't say that the US military does not have a team for water purification. I'm just saying that I don't KNOW personally - who in our military covers that sort of thing (who's got the equipment, which base, etc.). I'm sure the gear and training exists somewhere.

The suggestion to use Navy ships is still an excellent idea.

Edited by Pete (09/27/17 01:21 AM)

#286492 - 09/27/17 03:14 AM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Pete
There is a misunderstanding above. I didn't say that the US military does not have a team for water purification. I'm just saying that I don't KNOW personally - who in our military covers that sort of thing (who's got the equipment, which base, etc.). I'm sure the gear and training exists somewhere.

The suggestion to use Navy ships is still an excellent idea.

Agreed on all counts.

We're apparently doing a lot of the right thing in Puerto Rico right now. What I'm reading tells me that the Navy, Marine Corps and the American Red Cross are leading the efforts.

#286496 - 09/27/17 05:29 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: chaosmagnet]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
We're apparently doing a lot of the right thing in Puerto Rico right now. What I'm reading tells me that the Navy, Marine Corps and the American Red Cross are leading the efforts.
All the US military services are responding in Puerto Rico, including the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and the Coast Guard.

That being said, the Marine/Navy team are ideally configured for a situation like this. There are at least two Marine Expeditionary Units (MEU) deployed on Navy ships at all times. Humanitarian assistance is one of the missions that MEUs train for. An MEU is designed to be entirely self sufficient even in austere environments, and includes its own logistics, engineers, medical, and aviation assets. Being deployed at sea on Navy amphibious ships, an MEU is ideal for responding to disasters in coastal regions.
Quote:
The MEU is unique in that its air and ground combat elements are combined with a logistics combat element under one commander; other services do not unite the command of air and ground forces until much higher command levels.
----------snip--------
This air-ground task force concept is designed to thoroughly exploit the combat power inherent in air and ground assets by closely integrating them into a single force. The MEU brings all the supplies and logistical support it needs to sustain itself for quick mission accomplishment or to pave the way for any follow-up forces. This self-sustainment allows more flexibility in disposition and operations of forces, and allows the MEU to initiate operations sooner and let support catch up later, without having to wait for external logistical support to begin a mission. Deployments on U.S. Navy amphibious assault ships allows MEUs to seabase around the globe, ready for deployment at short notice.
A typical MEU has approximately 2,200 Marines and sailors.

I believe the 26th MEU is the one currently assisting in the Caribbean area.

Edited by AKSAR (09/27/17 05:33 PM)

#286499 - 09/27/17 07:19 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

In addition to their maritime and littoral capabilities, they possess all of the other capabilities and functions as the other services. In some cases more. The USMC has more air movement capability organic than the Army does (C-130 air lift).

#286500 - 09/27/17 07:25 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think the complaints about slow response in Puerto Rico do not consider the size of the area impacted, the destruction of infrastructure, and, basically, the complexity of rendering aid in chaotic conditions.

#286501 - 09/27/17 10:12 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

OK ... GREAT NEWS to see all these US military teams going into action in PR. I'm sure the locals feel like it is "chaos", but it won't take long for the military to coordinate the response. My guess is that if various military teams are responding - then they will probably divide the island into sectors, and give each team its own responsibility.

One good thing ... this will seriously reduce any problems with crime and looting of houses. Poor people don't have any home insurance, and if things gets stolen - it is a "lifetime loss". So I imagine there is some tension on the streets. But hopefully the military can restore control.

#286502 - 09/28/17 12:08 AM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: hikermor]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
+1.
There was an NBC news report that supplies are beginning to back up because of the difficulty of clearing the roads to allow trucks to deliver the supplies. It is a big island, and a lot of roads to clear.

#286515 - 09/28/17 07:02 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Yes.

I am confident that the military will clear the roads and get the supplies through. The US military can get this done. But it takes a little time, and the local citizens will be suffering until critical roads get opened.

I have mostly seen disaster areas in other parts of the world. And the story there is usually horrific. Generally, the roads NEVER do get opened. The roads are in horrible shape, and the local government often does not care (major corruption). Only a small fraction of supplies delivered (in emergencies) actually make it to the people who are truly suffering. The rest is all "picked off" ... food is stolen, or left rotting on the side of the road. Very, very common. Sad to see, but all too common.

BUT ... Puerto Rico won't be that way (I hope!!). I do think that the commitment of the US military will be positive factor in restoring law and order. What they really need ... is an "Emergency Czar" with the ability to sweep away problems, and get things moving.

Edited by Pete (09/28/17 07:05 PM)

#286525 - 09/29/17 12:24 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
FEMA Director Urges Americans To Develop "A True Culture Of Preparedness" But No One Is Listening.
I'm shocked shocked Does this mean the ETS website has just been validated and approved by FEMA?

#286527 - 09/29/17 03:08 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Mayor Of Puerto Rico Very Upset ...
"This is not a good news story. This is a people-are-dying story."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/san-juan-mayo...-134225479.html

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.