Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286473 - 09/26/17 05:11 AM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pete
what Puerto Rico needs badly are the special teams with expertise in water purification. The Gov't of Austria has such a team. Other countries might have them too.

The US doesn't have such a team??? I'm surprised to hear this. Pete, can you elaborate please?

#286477 - 09/26/17 01:16 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
we have things called aircraft carriers that produce 100's of thousands of gallons of desal water daily, multiple operating rooms, self sustaining electrical power, their own landing strip, and helicopters to deliver relief supplies

we have people called Special Forces that routinely work with indigenous people in third world countries to improve their lives as well as regular troops that provide water systems to forward deployed forces in God forsaken regions of the world

we have church groups and NGOs like the TBM that help distribute individual filters (like the Sawyer .02 micron 5 gal system)

#286481 - 09/26/17 02:56 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Bingley

I could not tell you - exactly what the US Government has. Surely we must have the capability to do this. But who exactly in the military does this - and how - I am not sure. Using Navy ships might be one smart way to purify water. Especially for Puerto Rico.

I helped at a flooding disaster in Africa (Mozambique disaster, early 2000's). I saw a team in action there - from Austria. They are a military team, but organized more to provide humanitarian assistance. They are especially good at things like purifying water. They have ALL the gear ... big purifying units, hoses, tubes, all the connections. They go right into a polluted area, and start producing pure water for poor people. It's very impressive to watch. These folks would be a HUGE help to Puerto Rico right now.

#286482 - 09/26/17 02:57 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Governor Of Puerto Rico Announces Major Humanitarian Crisis

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/puerto-rico%E2%80%99s-governor-warns-of-%E2%80%98humanitarian-crisis%E2%80%99/ar-AAssMWv?li=AA4ZnC&ocid=spartandhp

#286484 - 09/26/17 06:08 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The military will likely be employed like this:

They will go in and assess where the people are, how many and the magnitude of the need

They will set up or repair airfields, ports and helicopter landing zones in remote areas

They will set up camps with shelter, water, food and medical care

Engineer and medical units will provide the majority of the aid

Military Police may be used for security and population control

They will integrate with and assist local authorities, finding the local experts on the infrastructure and work to get it all working again

Distribution is key, and all of the population in need may not be very accessible, people will either go to the help or the help will come to them. Consolidation will be necessary in many cases for logistical reasons.

Immediate needs will be addressed first, then they will focus on a sustained effort, then on rebuilding the necessary infrastructure (water treatment, hospitals, power, food)

#286485 - 09/26/17 07:06 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: gonewiththewind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
The US Military is already heavily involved in disaster relief in Puerto Rico:

Navy, Marine Corps Providing Around-the-Clock Hurricane Maria Relief

Military conducting multiple operations to help Hurricane Maria-struck Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands

The Marines, Navy, Army, Coast Guard, and Air Force are all involved. This includes active duty, reserve, and National Guard units.

EDIT: Note that the Marine Corps has a the capability to provide potable water, using either sea water or polluted sources. These systems are already being put to use: Joint Task Force - Leeward Islands distributes water to the people of Saint Martin

Edited by AKSAR (09/27/17 12:56 AM)
Edit Reason: Add Coast Guard

#286486 - 09/26/17 07:58 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Listening to various reports on FoxNews -- per the reports: USS_Kearsarge (LHD-3) is on scene at Puerto Rico. This is an ideal ship for this situation -- it has an outstanding ability to move stuff from ship to shore, that's what it was designed to do in a war zone. Puerto Rico is a more benign environment. In keeping with it being a Naval combatant designed to support Marines in a war zone, USS Kearsarge has an extensive medical facility ...
Quote:
...Kearsarge ... medical facilities are second in capability only to the Navy's hospital ships, USNS Comfort and USNS Mercy...

Speaking of hospital ships, USNS Comfort may be en route, but before it arrives the port facilities will need to be restored.

#286487 - 09/26/17 08:28 PM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Russ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Along with the military, there are NGO aide groups from the USA and Canada en-route to PR. And with some pride, I can say that my wife is once again volunteering and left early yesterday morning for a minimum 30 day deployment with a large NGO. They expect to be in PR by weeks end but that depends on the airlift and airport logistics situation which is chaos right now. It is worth noting that aide workers will have a full security briefing beforehand as the security situation in many areas of PR is not all that safe and is suspected to get worse in the coming days and weeks until food, water and shelter logistics, along with many other basics of life is established.

Also there is a call out from the American Red Cross for Ham Radio operators to assist with comms.

John Lubbock

#286489 - 09/27/17 01:07 AM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Pete]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
In the nearly 75-year association between the American Red Cross (ARC) and the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), yesterday there was an event without precedent in its scale: ARC asked ARRL for fifty amateur radio operators available for immediate deployment to Puerto Rico for disaster relief communications, especially transmitting health and welfare information.

I'm proud to be a member of ARRL. In less than twelve hours 50 highly qualified hams (General or higher licenses, previous disaster communications experience) responded to the call.

For myself, I am appropriately credentialed in both amateur radio and disaster communications, but I don't have previous experience. I'd also be a bad choice as I have almost no HF experience. Even if I'd been able to volunteer to be deployed, they wouldn't have taken me.

#286490 - 09/27/17 01:08 AM Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
The US doesn't have such a team??? I'm surprised to hear this. Pete, can you elaborate please?

I know for sure that the US Army, Marine Corps and Navy all have this sort of capability.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.