Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#286236 - 09/14/17 10:54 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Does anyone have recommendations for a good primer on solar power basics? (Solar power for Dummies??) I would like a more robust system, but also would like to keep costs in line, and retain the advantages of portability, at least for emergency use...

#286240 - 09/15/17 01:11 AM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
Ratch Offline
Journeyman

An excellent forum to consult is solarpaneltalk.com, go to the 12v rv and camping forum.

Lot of knowledgable people, number of engineers, but they can be grumpy when dealing with survivalists or environmentalists. Read the sticky posts on the various forums for a good education.

Myself, I have several small panels, 60 and 100 watt, some 40 or 50 Ah batteries, and charge controllers, plus D.C. Powered aa battery chargers etc. I standardized all my battery stuff on aa and have a supply of eneloop aa batteries.

Also a goal zero unit with some led lights. GZ tends to be expensive, so check out anker small solar panels.

Another source for,info might be modernoutpost.com, which sells stuff but has some educational articles. Also, thewirecutter.com has some ratings on some solar stuff.

Tim

#286247 - 09/15/17 03:18 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
my buddy has a small solar system to recharge his portable CPAP machine. uses it when camping and blackouts.

i'm off-the-grid so solar runs this entire place, thus we don't have "black-outs" :-)

#286248 - 09/15/17 04:48 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I started with a Goal Zero Nomad 7 plus the Guide 10 charger. That's a nice, very portable system, great for charging AA batteries directly and other small devices through its USB output. I keep four Eneloop AA batteries in it to act as a power reserve when using the USB out.

The Nomad 7/Guide 10 is a small system though, only good for limited small items. So I recently upped the size to a 100 watt panel and a Goal Zero Yeti 400, truck portable but not something you can backpack. Quite a bit more energy storage and the ability to charge bigger items -- the Yeti 400 outputs 12 VDC, 2xUSB, 2x120VAC. But it won't run a refrigerator.

Eventually, I want a system big enough to run a refrigerator while charging a power pack large enough to run the 'fridge after the sun goes down. That's a goal, I'm not there yet.

#286251 - 09/15/17 08:11 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: Russ]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
I started with a Goal Zero Nomad 7 plus the Guide 10 charger. That's a nice, very portable system, great for charging AA batteries directly and other small devices through its USB output. I keep four Eneloop AA batteries in it to act as a power reserve when using the USB out.

The Nomad 7/Guide 10 is a small system though, only good for limited small items. So I recently upped the size to a 100 watt panel and a Goal Zero Yeti 400, truck portable but not something you can backpack. Quite a bit more energy storage and the ability to charge bigger items -- the Yeti 400 outputs 12 VDC, 2xUSB, 2x120VAC. But it won't run a refrigerator.

Eventually, I want a system big enough to run a refrigerator while charging a power pack large enough to run the 'fridge after the sun goes down. That's a goal, I'm not there yet.

i used to have a Nomad 7 and Guide 10+ combo, but it won't charge mine phone. the max 1 amp output can't be sustained for long, so rather poor performance for anything that want more than 0.5 amp's from the USB.

#286252 - 09/16/17 01:14 AM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Any thoughts on the Harbor Freight solar panel set? Any hands on experience? Was thinking of them with a deep discharge battery (ie boat) or someone said a golf cart battery. Thoughts?

I also heard that the Harbor Freight 'whisper quiet' generators are actually made by Honda. Can anyone confirm this? Would be very interested in knowing?

#286257 - 09/16/17 05:33 AM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
There are a few positive reviews on the Harbor Freight 100 watt solar chargers on YouTube.

#286264 - 09/16/17 07:42 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Thanks Wildman. Good to know. I'll check on it.

#286265 - 09/16/17 08:07 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: CJK]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: CJK
Any thoughts on the Harbor Freight solar panel set? Any hands on experience? Was thinking of them with a deep discharge battery (ie boat) or someone said a golf cart battery. Thoughts?

I also heard that the Harbor Freight 'whisper quiet' generators are actually made by Honda. Can anyone confirm this? Would be very interested in knowing?

You are better off with with a Renogy Panel Kit. This is what I purchased (need to purchase MC4 cable separately) then purchased another 100 watt Renogy panel. Both easily charge 2 x Group 27, 12 volt deep cycle batteries (from Costco) from which a 1000 watt pure sine waver inverter feeds 120v electrical.

At home testing has found that during long summer days, this solar system will keep a 15 cubic fridge and a 5 cubic foot freezer running on alternate times with timers. At our property up north which has no power, this system easily powers a 4 cubic fridge and all other electrical needs.

In the event of cloudy or rainy days and at night, also have a 2000 watt invertor generator (mine is a slightly different model) to help top up the batteries. Plenty of good reviews on YT of this generator.

I went with both the Renogy and Champion brands as both are US companies and offer North American support. When I first purchased my generator, it had a slight miss at idle. I called Champion Support and they sent a new carburetor which arrived in 4 days to Canada - which is impressive.

As for the golf cart battery, they certainly have their advantages but you will need 2 of them wired in series to get 12 volts to power an inverter or power 12 volt devices.

Much more info here:

https://www.solar-electric.com/learning-center/batteries-and-charging/deep-cycle-battery-faq.html

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

John Lubbock

#286278 - 09/17/17 09:36 AM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My generator is a Champion and it's been great. The CERT I volunteer with owns a Honda EU2000i and its legendary reputation is not exaggerated.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 179 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.