Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#286190 - 09/13/17 06:17 PM Solar powered gear...
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Power outages for 1-5 days seem to be more and more common. What solar powered gear do you have or are you adding to your kit(s)?

fo us its:
-solar lights & lanterns
- two radios/ with cell phone chargers
- small solar panel for small electronics

#286192 - 09/13/17 06:44 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
In my garage
Aukey 21 watt USB charger. If camping, it goes in the car.

In Car
Solar powered am/fm/weather radio

For house
4- 48 watt 12 volt panels
2 charge controllers

2 105 AH golf cart batteries.

4 400 to 1500 watt inverters.

#286194 - 09/13/17 07:14 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Something to keep in mind when buying the next car, is that a hybrid (or even a full battery electric) car has a substantial battery in it, and can provide 12 volt power to recharge phones, etc. A lot of it. I'm sure it is not for everyone, but, it is a value added feature that one may not think about when buying a car.

#286195 - 09/13/17 07:43 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: bws48]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My solar stuff is all Goal Zero (no connection), primarily because the components work well without any math on my part (which is a good thing). Not cheap but simple to use. I am inclined to go deper into solar once I learn more, because I'll bet there are some good, relatively cheap items out there.

2 backpackable panels, and several power banks. I can readily keep my AA and AAA Eneloops charged up, as well as our cell phones, so we have light and means of communication, if cell towers are operating. One of the best is their Mini-Lighthouse lantern - variable brightness levels up to 250 lumens and the 3000mah battery can also charge a cell phone a time or two. I have spare proprietary batteries for the two units I have.

I have used this stuff on field projects and it seems to work pretty well. I can store all the components, including the panels in an ammo can,so the system should survive a quake.

Second the comment about the Prius. It will serve multiple purposes if ever need be. For that matter, get a USB outlet for your power port on a conventional vehicle and you can easily keep small stuff running.

#286202 - 09/13/17 09:05 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Over the years, much trial and upgrades when it comes to solar. Still not done - but here is the cumulative list.

2 x 100 watt solar panels
30 amp controller

2 x Group 27 / 12 volt deep cycle batteries in parallel (12 volts but double the amps.)

1 x Group 27 / 12 volt deep cycle battery

2 x 7 AMH SLA battery (in parallel) in a small ammo box. Used to charge USB and power small 12 volt devices and also to provide portable light when/where needed.

1 x 75 watt modified sine wave inverter
2 x 300 watt modified sine wave inverter
1 x 750 watt modified sine wave inverter
1 x 600 watt pure sine wave inverter
1 x 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter

As solar is not always an easy option in my area;

1 x 2000 watt inverter (pure sine wave) generator
1 x 12 amp battery charger (plugs into the generator to charge the batteries when the sun is not cooperating. Will be upgrading to a 25 amp charger this week as it comes on sale this Friday.

Enough miscellaneous 12 volt LED lights, 120v LED lights and wiring to easily light up a couple of houses.

John Lubbock

#286203 - 09/13/17 09:36 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I just have a 24watt panel and powerbanks to charge from them.

Not much to loose in my fridge/freezer (it's a small one, with my stove on top of it). Do not own a tv or much other electronics, so power is just for a few led lights, a phone and maybe a few small things.

#286207 - 09/14/17 03:41 AM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I have a GoalZero 7w unit with which I can charge AA Eneloops, but after giving my two generators a pretty good trial the last 3 days, will be relying on them for weather emergencies

#286230 - 09/14/17 08:18 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Goal Zero here too. Agree that it is a bit on the expensive side, but as you expand, components are compatible. Also recently had a friend of mine put together a wind powered charger. Low power at 1-2 amp. But it was less than $40 in parts, available through Amazon, with some available at the hardware store, and the charge controller can be used with solar panels.

#286231 - 09/14/17 08:45 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I don't have anything that I'd consider necessary in an emergency that would require the expense of setting up solar. Cell phones? If your area is going to be out of power for an extended period, those aren't going to work for long even if their batteries are charged. Charged flashlight batteries could come in handy, but for the cost of a solar setup you could buy a lot of Eneloops and charge them in advance. And then move on to candles after they're depleted. You're not going to be running refrigerators, air conditions or a washing machine unless you do some serious financial investment in your solar setup. And what if the sun is not shining after a disaster?

I would think a generator powered from your homes natural gas would be the best option. And if you lose natural gas, a backup smaller generator that runs off of gasoline that you have safely stored in advance. Or LP gas, if you happen to have one of those large stationary tanks in your back yard.

My thoughts are that the things you can power via solar are more convenience items than necessary items. Unless you really spend BIG in your solar setup. And be lucky enough that your big investment doesn't get destroyed by the same disaster that put you in need of that investment in the first place.

Charging some AA Eneloops with a small inexpensive solar panel is about as far as I'd consider. But I don't even have that - I just have a whole mess of already-charged Eneloops and LiIons and a couple of those gigantic Costco AA battery packages for backup of the backup, or to give out to neighbors.

Each person's situation is different though. I can imagine some medical devices might be functional on solar charging (if the sun is out after the disaster).

Edited by haertig (09/14/17 09:14 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling correction

#286232 - 09/14/17 09:04 PM Re: Solar powered gear... [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Like Haertig, I do not have much that requires power which I rely on in an emergency. Communications be the key, and some GPSs (may be needed). I have the Goal Zero system and a stock of Eneloops.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.