Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#286169 - 09/13/17 03:01 AM Kindle version? ARRL Ham Radio License Manual
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Has anyone tried the Kindle version of this study manual?

I borrowed the paper version from my local library several months back, but didn't get to finish it before I had to return it (long waiting list on the book, so I couldn't renew).

Then I kind of forgot about it. Now I want to go back and continue on and get my license.

Has anyone tried the Kindle version of this book? Does it have all the content and drawings/pictures of the print version? Is it easily searchable? And - slightly specialized and off topic - has anyone converted it from Kindle Format to EPUB format using Calibre and its DeDRM plugin? How did the conversion turn out? I would prefer to read it on my Barnes & Noble Nook than my Kindle Fire, but they don't sell it for the Nook platform. Both the Nook and Kindle Fire screens are relatively small, and I also wonder how that would work with a book of this format (plentiful pictures and drawings).

I don't think I would buy the print version, because most of it is a simple review for me (library rental covers that need, even if I have to wait a little longer to renew). But I might buy the electronic version, just so I'd always have it with me in case I had a few free minutes for study while out and about (I usually have my Kindle Fire and Nook with me).

#286171 - 09/13/17 03:36 AM Re: Kindle version? ARRL Ham Radio License Manual [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have and it does. I have taught classes from it and found it to be complete.

I convert all of my Kindle texts exactly as you describe, so that I can use my ereader of choice. No problems.

#286173 - 09/13/17 04:34 AM Re: Kindle version? ARRL Ham Radio License Manual [Re: haertig]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks for the quick feedback. I convert my eBook formats back and forth too, but have never tried anything other than a novel, which is usually 99% plain text. I didn't know how Calibre's converter would work on picture intensive stuff like this ARRL manual. Glad to hear it does OK. I prefer the plain-jane eInk book readers like the Nook (or basic Kindle) for reading. My Kindle Fire can stand in for that if need be, but for my purposes the Fire is better suited for email, web surfing, watching videos, etc. - basic tablet stuff. I'm too cheap to buy a more expensive mainstream tablet. But for my meager needs, the Fire works just fine.

Calibre is quite the excellent piece of software IMHO (shameless plug for something I really like, but I have no relation to it other than being a very happy user).

#286183 - 09/13/17 01:28 PM Re: Kindle version? ARRL Ham Radio License Manual [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Agreed on Calibre -- and it's free!

Not sure how well the epub will render on an eInk book reader. I use Bluefire Reader (free) on my iPad and on my Windows PC. I've also been known to use the built-in Preview utility on my work Mac for this as well. All of them render the epub very well.

I upgraded to General using the ARRL ebook. I'd like to upgrade to Extra one day but life is very busy right now.

#286206 - 09/14/17 01:30 AM Re: Kindle version? ARRL Ham Radio License Manual [Re: haertig]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Haertig - check your PMs.

#286211 - 09/14/17 05:48 AM Re: Kindle version? ARRL Ham Radio License Manual [Re: haertig]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
A different study guide, but there are license study guides here in various ebook forms (including Kindle), and the .pdf version of the Technician study guide is free:

http://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/

#286437 - 09/24/17 05:06 PM Re: Kindle version? ARRL Ham Radio License Manual [Re: haertig]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

A note regarding the Calibre software that was hit on above:

A problem I found when using either the Kindle eReader app or the Nook eReader app on my tablet was that they are both fine for reading eBooks, but terrible for organizing/finding them if you have a large-ish collection. The Nook app is a bit better than the Kindle app because the Nook has a concept of "Shelves". However, that is a nightmare to maintain for a large selection of eBooks.

"Calibre Companion" to the rescue. I just found out about this app. There'a a demo version for free (limited to handling only 20 eBooks) and the real version is $3.99.

Calibre Companion gives you the ability to organize/find eBooks locally stored on your tablet. The power of the main Calibre server, but available on your tablet client. Calibre Companion also provides some really slick interfaces to your main Calibre server.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.