The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#286103 - 09/11/17 07:36 PM Re: Lessons from these hurricanes? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My previous truck was a Ford F250, 40 gallons of fuel split between two tanks -- 10 mpg. I had considered replacing the big V-8 with Ford's inline 6. Went with a smaller truck and 22 mpg, which was a better option. As said in my previous post, I can always carry additional fuel.

#286106 - 09/11/17 08:18 PM Re: Lessons from these hurricanes? [Re: Russ]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
If replacing a vehicle it might be worth considering diesel rather than gasoline.
Running costs are often less, but as important is the fact that diesel fuel is very much safer to store and transport.
And mileage is often better.
Most diesel engines will in an emergency burn heating oil or cooking oil.

#286107 - 09/11/17 08:30 PM Re: Lessons from these hurricanes? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
On the other hand, not all gas stations have diesel. If diesel isn't commonly available where you live it's something to keep in mind.

#286110 - 09/11/17 08:44 PM Re: Lessons from these hurricanes? [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
That's a big concern I have about diesel. Many diesel vehicles get great fuel economy but where I live I do notice some long stretches where no stations have diesel fuel.

#286112 - 09/11/17 09:29 PM Re: Lessons from these hurricanes? [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Two gas tanks would be great. But for me ... what I need is a roof rack. I will add that to the list of things that I am building during the next 2 months. These days I try to build everything that I need. I had a roof rack for my old vehicle, but not the for new one.

#286115 - 09/11/17 11:15 PM Re: Lessons from these hurricanes? [Re: TeacherRO]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I learned that if the governor warns of disaster early enough, in this case about eight days, he can precipitate the panic of the unprepared immediately, causing a run on gas stations and food stores...and that the logistics system can respond, resulting in restocking of gas and bottled water by Wednesday. This was the largest storm in the history of weather casting, and the most effectively commercially exploited in the history of marketing.

There is absolutely no way to devise an explanation satisfactory to a member of this forum of the behavior of people not members of this forum. Explain music to the deaf, rainbows to the blind, women to men, maybe: preppers to non-preppers, unthinkable.

Ditto bottled water. How were inhabitants of a country with the cleanest, cheapest water in the history of the planet convinced that they need to pay for bottled water in the first place. And to pay more, volume for volume, than they pay for gasoline? This is a marketing triumph that dwarfs the Hula Hoop. None of the communities in this area lost water service, and the community I inhabit has never lost it. I drink tap water, and store water in garbage pails lined with plastic bags.

I would not have to store gasoline if I did not wish to run my freezers. I cold easily store canned and dried food, eliminating that need, but then I would be drinking warm champagne (shudder). An investment in batteries and solar chargers might eliminate that need. I bought a generator five years ago because I like having a generator, jerry cans, and a shed for storage cuz the CFO said I could. Do I need it? Am I victim of marketing?

The barrier islands are filled with un-insurable mansions that are uninhabited most of the time. People will live near the sea, no matter how bad a choice it is.

#286118 - 09/12/17 12:38 AM Re: Lessons from these hurricanes? [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
running on the alternator genset...a hitch ball on a large mower allows you to tow a utility trailer...I put an older Honda 3500w unit on the trailer and ferry it between neighbors with freezers and no power...tried cooking canned food with water bath in a small sauce pan... was trying to not burn the food as I tend to do trying to cook directly in the can... worked well with a single burner propane stove.. ate out of the can, and kept it in the water bath to keep it warm...we have water but no hot water...I'm getting too old for this stuff... regards

#286119 - 09/12/17 12:57 AM Re: Lessons from these hurricanes? [Re: LesSnyder]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
If you like canned soup, non concentrate progresso...

Take an empty vienna sausage can, and use a paper punch to cut 8-10 holes in the can below the rim. Place VS can on top of a tuna can lid, and clumsily pour 30 cc of methanol into the VS can: clumsily because some needs to land outside the can on the tuna lid. Put an opened can of progresso on top and set fire to the meths. Step back smartly, if you value your eyebrows. by the time your backpacker alcohol stove uses up its fuel charge, the soup will be pleasantly hot and not scorched.

elegant stove designs here

I favor Italian wedding soup, altho pot roast ain't bad. This was lunch for me and my dog at the warehouse for 5 years.

#286120 - 09/12/17 01:01 AM Re: Lessons from these hurricanes? [Re: nursemike]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

It is explainable, scientifically, but hard to understand for someone who understands the ways and means of preparation.

#286123 - 09/12/17 01:06 AM Re: Lessons from these hurricanes? [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
As mentioned, I experienced a major anxiety attack during the heavy winds. I don't know what I could have done differently.

I have a problem that causes my throat to tighten. In most scenarios, the most I need is intravenous therapy.

What had set me off is knowing in the unlikely event I have a problem with my throat during the hurricane, I have no access to medical services.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.