The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#285898 - 09/05/17 01:44 AM Re: Florida - Here comes Irma [Re: Russ]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
presently charging some AA Eneloops, 12v trolling motor battery is on a float charger, but will put on quick charger tomorrow... propane tanks filled, 11 gal gasoline cans topped off, may refill the stored water (a hand shower wand is useful to fill water containers in your tub/shower)..

will start freezing gallon jugs of water and clean out the coolers...Publix had chunky soups BOGO so picked up 6 today...

plywood is pre cut, painted, and numbered, and if looks like a CAT4 will make a minor evacuation to cousin's post Andrew code home about 20min north...for a CAT3 will shelter in place, as I'm at 34'

stay safe

#285899 - 09/05/17 02:18 AM Re: Florida - Here comes Irma [Re: Russ]
Pete Offline
Veteran

good luck Les.
It's not clear if Irma will move north to Florida, or detour to the south near Cuba. but it's wise to be prepared. how long does it take for you to nail up your plywood?

Pete

#285901 - 09/05/17 02:47 AM Re: Florida - Here comes Irma [Re: Russ]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Pete.. I have an old frame house with 23 windows...most are partially covered with aluminum awning... I have a hitch on the John Deere mower, and can pull the utility trailer loaded with the plywood.... should be less than an hour without help...I'll be 70 next month, so will take it easy as it is still low 90s daily... in 2004 my drill/driver died about 3/4 through and had to finish with a screwdriver... not fun.. Ridgid 18v driver with extra battery pack should be sufficient

thank you

#285903 - 09/05/17 03:19 AM Re: Florida - Here comes Irma [Re: LesSnyder]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Florida Declares State Of Emergency As Category 4 Hurricane Irma Barrels Straight For Miami. Florida Gov. Rick Scott seems to be jumping the gun. Irma won't be on top of Miami until Saturday evening... or maybe, just maybe he's thinking it may be wise to actually motivate people to get ready or maybe even get out of town.

Cat.4 hurricane over warm water, what could possibly go wrong...

#285905 - 09/05/17 12:38 PM Re: Florida - Here comes Irma [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Mom and I will go to Sam's Club in an hour. I will report on how it went when we return.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285907 - 09/05/17 04:44 PM Re: Florida - Here comes Irma [Re: Russ]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Now Category 5 Hurricane.

Puerto Rico is in the crosshairs as we speak.
I think the real destruction will be to the Dominican Republic and Haiti. And then afterwards, Cuba (if the storm stays south), or the Bahamas and Florida, if the storm goes north.

#285911 - 09/05/17 05:59 PM Re: Florida - Here comes Irma [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

This morning Mom and I shopped at Sam's Club. The parking lot was busier than normal on a weekday morning; otherwise, no red flags indicated there is a problem.

One of the items on my shopping list was a case of water. For the first time, I had to get in line to buy water. A store employee announced that three tractor trailers came that morning to deliver bottled water. What they had on the warehouse floor is what they had left. The cases were smaller than what I was planning to buy, so I bought two. I did not need more for my nuclear war preps. One lady got the last six cases. There was a woman behind her who was wanting one. A fight came close to breaking out between those two.

We are four and a half hours from Miami and two women almost came to blows because only three truckloads of water instead of four was delivered that morning?

Sam's Club was out of yogurt. I'm not kidding I have yogurt for breakfast every morning like clockwork. I got to have my yogurt. They were also out of Spaghettios but they do have the moisturizing cream I like so I got both.

I will update the thread "My Checklist."

Jeanette Isabelle

#285913 - 09/05/17 06:18 PM Re: Florida - Here comes Irma [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Mom got two fire extinguishers. We now have enough to have one in each bedroom.

Mom also got tarps, two rolls of Gorilla tape, parachute cord and Cheez-It crackers. We're facing a nuclear war in the middle east. She needs her Cheez-It crackers.

By the way, my bedroom is beginning to look like a storage room.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285914 - 09/05/17 07:23 PM Re: Florida - Here comes Irma [Re: Russ]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Do you have a good framing hammer & heavy duty nails to hold those tarps to a roof? How about a roll of heavy clear or at least opaque plastic to replace a blown out window? Will u need to sandbag any door bottoms?

#285917 - 09/05/17 09:16 PM Re: Florida - Here comes Irma [Re: acropolis5]
Carpal Tunnel

Sandbags? To be honest, I was prepping for a nuclear war in the middle east, not a flood.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.