Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#285881 - 09/04/17 01:09 PM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
an expedient way to collect rain water if you have gutters.. knock the end cap off if you have end gable roof, or make a short connector for you down spout with a hip roof... I use a 33gal plastic trash can... let the early rain get a chance to clean off the roof before placing the can... I fill a similar trash can in my shower stall with tap water... a .1 micron Sawyer 5gal bucket filter and pool shock complete my water system... I store about 17gal in containers plus a case or so of bottled water year round

#285885 - 09/04/17 07:09 PM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The rule of thumb that I've always heard is to let the rain fall a good 15 minutes before collecting rainwater. 15 minutes allows the rain to clear the dust out of the air and pound contaminates off your roof and onto the ground.

#285900 - 09/05/17 02:30 AM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Is rain water collected during a hurricane (or on either side of the main part of one) salty? With the high winds, I can imagine that sea water might get mixed up with water coming down form the clouds. I would think it might be salty, but I've never been in a hurricane to check it out. If rain is fresh water during a hurricane, your rain collection barrels should fill up in seconds!

#285902 - 09/05/17 02:52 AM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

haertig...never tasted it either... I use rain water only as a back up to flush toilet... also to shower if necessary... I have a pretty good filter system if needed, but store about 20gal and a couple of flats of water...we did not loose city water during the 2004/2005 outages, but has happened in the past

#285904 - 09/05/17 09:45 AM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: wildman800]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: wildman800
The rule of thumb that I've always heard is to let the rain fall a good 15 minutes before collecting rainwater. 15 minutes allows the rain to clear the dust out of the air and pound contaminates off your roof and onto the ground.

Yes, and if rainwater is to be regularly harvested, automatic devices are available or can be made to divert the initial roof run off to waste before sending the subsequent cleaner water to a tank or drum.
The usual technique is that the first flow of water fills a bucket or small drum, and that the weight of this vessel when full operates a pivot and thereby diverts subsequent flow into the tank.
The small vessel should preferably have a very small hole in it so that it will slowly empty and be available for the next rainfall.

#285920 - 09/05/17 10:03 PM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: Treeseeker]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
I have never used these but the Berkey filters look good. They are gravity filters that require no electricity, and are available in several sizes. They remove bacteria, viruses, and lots of chemical contaminants.

As one might expect, they are not cheap.

We made our own DIY Berkey water filter system to use on our property up north. Much cheaper and the filters can be found on Amazon.com for about $100.00

There are videos on YouTube on how to make a DIY filtration system with a couple of 5 gallon buckets. I still would not trust the store bought nor the DIY filtration system to remove chemical contaminants though.

John Lubbock

#285931 - 09/06/17 08:30 AM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

You can get other brands filter elements for less.

I have two Tulip siphon water filters as emergency water filter system; which does not need any DIY'ing. Just toss it in a container higher up, use the little pump to prime it and then let it flow down to a container placed lower. They do come with an o-ring, so you can convert them in a stacked bucket system.

Mine favorite system is the Quechua MSH system, which consists of:
- a black fabric water bag for dirty water collection when used for filtering, but also comes with a shower attachment to use as a solar shower.
- Water filter and hoses (uses the katadyn fiberglass pleated filter with carbon)
- A plastic clean water bag, but also comes with hose/tap attachment to use as a tap.

Everything can be joined by quick disconnects and really easy to use, but also really inexpensive. They discontinued it a few years ago...

#285943 - 09/06/17 08:11 PM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

the Sawyer bucket systems are extremely lightweight... filter uses hemo dialysis technology to produce the filter media, which can be back flushed with included syringe... .1 and .02 micron filter size... comes with a spade bit to cut the hole in the 5 gal bucket...

#285970 - 09/08/17 03:12 AM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
we save rain water for the house plants.i have three 30 gallon drums in the basement that could be used if I filtered it.
the 55 gallon drum under the down spout has wire mesh to keep out big stuff and some goldfish eat the bugs.
water is not a problem here as a old historical spring that run all year long is at the end of our street.yes I would filter that for drinking water but the old timers around here don't.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (09/08/17 03:14 AM)

#286372 - 09/21/17 06:38 PM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm surprised that there isn't a run on empty water containers before an event.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.