Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#285845 - 09/02/17 07:35 AM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
I wonder how many people thought to grab their kitchen counter top water filters? would it do any good in storm water filled with junk?

I kind of doubt it. The problem isn't just the dirt and debris dub up, there's also gasoline, pesticides, toxic chemicals, etc from flooded factories, etc. I'm not aware of any commercially available filters that can take heavy metals and petrochemicals out of the water (although activated charcoal is supposed to reduce them somewhat).

#285847 - 09/02/17 08:47 AM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: CANOEDOGS]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
I wonder how many people thought to grab their kitchen counter top water filters? would it do any good in storm water filled with junk?

No, those filters are designed for basically clean water. They exchange calcium ions and iron ions and remove some organic chemicals to some degree. If you couldn´t drink the water before filtering, you coundn´t drink it after filtering either.
Even dedicated filters for outdoors use might be of limited effect for storm water. The descriptions of those filters clearly state the limits.

#285855 - 09/03/17 12:28 AM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I would stay away from ground water due to chemical contamination possibility. Take containers and rain water collection stuff, then filter that with a typical backpacking filter. Or boil it.
That's probably as safe as you're going to get after a massive flood disaster.

#285859 - 09/03/17 01:56 AM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just be aware that boiling won't automatically make water safe if it's been contaminated with chemicals. Some of them are hydrophilic and have a boiling point close enough to that of water that they aren't separated out by boiling.

#285861 - 09/03/17 03:04 AM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
When all else fails, beer can be trusted (in reasonable amounts)....

#285863 - 09/03/17 04:49 PM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Does anyone know of a personal sized or BOV transportable sized water filtration system that would remove chemical and biological contamination?

#285866 - 09/03/17 05:36 PM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

There are several that make the claim to be able to do both, but I have not been able to test any with a lab. Most can effectively remove biological contaminants, as can boiling the water. Some chemicals might be removed by boiling as well, if they are more volatile than the water. Others might be removed (heavier metals and chemicals) by setting up a still of sorts, so the water steams away and then is condensed back into liquid. In an emergency situation I would probably try about anything I could if I needed water that badly.

The key to the ability to remove heavy metals and chemicals is an activated carbon filter component.

You can minimize the quantity of chemicals if you draw your water from a clean (or cleaner) source. Pay attention to the sources of contamination, direction of flow and the original source.

For potential water purification needs, I always carry a metal cup or pot to boil water in.

#285867 - 09/03/17 06:07 PM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I have never used these but the Berkey filters look good. They are gravity filters that require no electricity, and are available in several sizes. They remove bacteria, viruses, and lots of chemical contaminants.

As one might expect, they are not cheap.

I have no affiliation with them.

http://www.getberkey.com/

#285877 - 09/04/17 05:57 AM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
I wonder if anyone,anywhere thought to collect rain water?

#285878 - 09/04/17 06:05 AM Re: Shelves are now empty of water... [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Rain water can contain contaminants from dust but in any situation short of a bad chemical plant fire or nuclear event one would think rain would be at least easy to sanitize. In a pinch I would try it before drinking urban flood water.

This is probably obvious enough that I almost shouldn't need to say it but the time to worry about water is before the flood! Water is so cheap that it's almost ridiculous, especially given the importance of clean water and how hard it is to come by in many parts of the world. It's sad how many people run thousands of gallons down the drain without in thought in normal times yet have nothing but what's in the toilet tank or water heater when trouble strikes.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.